Anybody worried about english paper 2? (1 Viewer)

hollybox

HSC
Me Too

With paper 1 it is just about understanding a concept but with paper 2 you actually have to remember stuff...not good.

HSC
about the thing in coffs: they definately have an advantage!

the one thing that makes modules such a hard paper is not the time or the amount of writing (because if u keep practicing and practicing you can overcome that) but the questions they ask.
If its a hard question u just dont have time to sit there and think it through! u just have to write without thinking and hope ur gonna answer the question somewhere along the way.
and if u get a hard question or a weird style to write in (like a letter or convo) it doesnt just affect the question ur answering but it affects the other questions as well cos u have less time to answer those.

Imagine how much more relaxed u would feel if u knew the questions - or even just one question - on the paper 2morro. wen u got into the exam u would know exactly wot u were going to write and u would have more time to think about the others!!!

Sarsoor

HSC
itll be okay...

guys, its not going to be as bad as your expecting, just remember to keep referring to the question... and dont get sidetracked, talk about the important stuff. remember to stop at 40 mins, regardless of whether or not u finished the essay and start the next one. go back when you have left over time. just think positive... you'll all be fine!

Tashxx

Associate Member
HSC
Im Dead..

Im certainly glad that everyone else had an excellent time in Monday's exam. My brain ceased functioning in that exam, and i took Waaayy too long on question one, which left me with like 30 mins to do the rest, so you can basically imagine what the result was. I'm lost, ive spent all day trying to study for paper 2, but all i get is headaches. I can't concentrate, and I know hope is all over for the rest of my exams now. Ive resigned ot the fact that my life will be filled with nothing but a string of casual jobs, and I don't know how to help myself. No crap advice line, help me now.... I'm Dead.

Frenglish_Angel

sweetsensations said:
about the thing in coffs: they definately have an advantage!

the one thing that makes modules such a hard paper is not the time or the amount of writing (because if u keep practicing and practicing you can overcome that) but the questions they ask.
If its a hard question u just dont have time to sit there and think it through! u just have to write without thinking and hope ur gonna answer the question somewhere along the way.
and if u get a hard question or a weird style to write in (like a letter or convo) it doesnt just affect the question ur answering but it affects the other questions as well cos u have less time to answer those.

Imagine how much more relaxed u would feel if u knew the questions - or even just one question - on the paper 2morro. wen u got into the exam u would know exactly wot u were going to write and u would have more time to think about the others!!!
Yeah the Coffs thing...definitely an advantage...I mean, there is probably someone who saw question on the back page or something. I think it's stupid how they don't have a back page after the last question...ppl could easily see it. Not that I have done anything like that, I have too much of a conscience.

Sarsoor

HSC
dont worry!

tash you really need to relax, i did exactly the same thing as you on monday with question 1 and only wrote 2 pages for my creative writing story! thats why you have to keep watching the time. its NOT all over, keep trying, ur results might turn out much better than u expect! good luck... thats reallly true about not having a back page, i noticed that when they handed out our exams. i heard that this school had old man giving them out and he handed them to each student with the back page facing them! but luckily their particular question was INSIDE the booklet....

Last edited:

Toby Buchanan

HSC
KFunk said:
Modules > Journeys (they're a lot more interesting to study and write about)
Modules are greater than journeys??

I also agree they would have an advantage.. For example if they saw the speeches question and found out that there was a specified speech, they could learn that one really well.... Sounds kind of dodgy to me.. I'm sure from the condidature, one person looked and has likely told others.

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
sweetsensations said:
Even extension english is easier... shouldnt it be logically harder?!?!

Lol, I've been thinking about that ever since the trials! Sure, your structure and analysis is expected to be slightly higher-order, but that's much easier to do when you have one essay/one piece of creative writing to do. The problem with modules is that your focus is scattered - how can one be expected to put together a sustained, well written piece of analysis when in the back of their mind a voice is saying "Quick! Quick you fool! You have two other essays to complete!"? Not to menion the damn time limit (which is also significantly hampered for people who feel more prepared by planning essays like myself).

In a nutshell: Paper 2 sucks. Will suck. Tomorrow :D.

Smeh. I should quit complaining and go study for it.

HSC
Tashxx said:
Im certainly glad that everyone else had an excellent time in Monday's exam. My brain ceased functioning in that exam, and i took Waaayy too long on question one, which left me with like 30 mins to do the rest, so you can basically imagine what the result was. I'm lost, ive spent all day trying to study for paper 2, but all i get is headaches. I can't concentrate, and I know hope is all over for the rest of my exams now. Ive resigned ot the fact that my life will be filled with nothing but a string of casual jobs, and I don't know how to help myself. No crap advice line, help me now.... I'm Dead.
dont give up....english isnt the only exam..... u can still do well!
u have only done one exam so theres still time to fix ur results in the hsc.
having said that myself, i really need 2 study if im gonna go well 2morro!
bye all

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
HAHAHAHAHAHAH i was watching the news the other night, and they were interviewing students as they came out of the paper one exam. And everyone was saying "oh yeah, pretty good questions, it was easy. i liked it etc" and then they got to this one girl, who was a mess. and she sed "oh god i hadnt prepared for anything like that. i hadnt studied anything they asked for!" HAHAHAH i pissed myself and thought well what the fuck have you been doing? Change?!?!

Tashxx

Associate Member
HSC
ah thanks

Thanks for your hope, but i just don't know what to do. I Can Not study. Btw what school is everyone from?

Last edited:

rocklobster

I'm concerned, but I don't really think it's going to be too bad. Really, if you know the text well enough (which I don't for some) it should be o.k. Just make sure you give equal time to the essays if you can!
Good luck!

tazm

I'm right if everything i memorise is based on the same question as in the test. Freakishly i aced the first exam for this reason. How many times does lightning strike?

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
tazm said:
I'm right if everything i memorise is based on the same question as in the test.
No shit! Why didn't I think of that!? I should call the Board of Studies, ask them for the questions and some exemplar responses to memorise! Then I should be 'right'!

Thanks for the very very useful information/advice!!!!

Glenn198718

Well not worried just think that its going to be alot harder then it was on monday and i think alot of people are going to run out of time for this one because they might not know what to write and dont know how to work there time and stuff

aurora_05

HSC
Personally, I'm freaking out about the exam. I just feel so...unprepared. The last few years questions have been so varied that it's hard to know what to expect! Hoping Frontline won't be too bad as that's currently one of my better modules...but I'm going to get positively slaughtered by King Lear. And there's some potential for the same thing to happen with Emma/Clueless.
To all my friends...Its been nice knowing you...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)