Anyone else not memorizing? (2 Viewers)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
No, not really. Refer to my post above.
Yes, really. If you rote learn the HSC you are in for a big shock if you go onto university study. I would wager money on you failing one or more first year subjects in all lieklihood.

Aliyas

HSC
I am just using my creative from the trial, which I still remember. So I didn't even have to study that. However I refuse to memorise an essay...because honestly, I don't see how memorising an entire essay can help you when you'd probably have to completely change it to answer the question. I've just memorised an introduction and quotes. I'll analyse the quotes to fit whatever I'm trying to say in the essay. It's worked so far.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I'm perfectly capable of memorising an essay. I just have the decency to place value in my education and not reduce it to a competition to see who can memorise stuff the best.
But it's English haha - and to be perfectly honest, you would have duxed if you did better in English imo.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Furthermore, what happens when your memorised essay doesn't fit the question whatsoever. You're fucked. I, on the other hand, am completely fine. What if they specify writing a speech or a feature article? Again, you're fucked and I look incredible because I actually know what I'm talking about rather than just reciting whatever bullshit my $70/hr tutor spoonfed me.

2xL

HSC
I'm perfectly capable of memorising an essay. I just have the decency to place value in my education and not reduce it to a competition to see who can memorise stuff the best.
*slow clap for your integrity. Your loss at the end of the day.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
But it's English haha - and to be perfectly honest, you would have duxed if you did better in English imo.
Nah, I've got no hope of duxing. I lost all motivation before trials and barely managed to get through them. Everyone else has been studying hard out since then and I've been sitting around drinking.

2xL

HSC
I am just using my creative from the trial, which I still remember. So I didn't even have to study that. However I refuse to memorise an essay...because honestly, I don't see how memorising an entire essay can help you when you'd probably have to completely change it to answer the question. I've just memorised an introduction and quotes. I'll analyse the quotes to fit whatever I'm trying to say in the essay. It's worked so far.
Im sorry? You refuse to memorise an essay on the basis that you have to change it to answer the question but you memorise your introduction? YOUR INTRODUCTION?! THAT THING THAT HAS YOUR THESIS?! Lol. You be smokin' some crazy shit son.

Zenox

HSC
Furthermore, what happens when your memorised essay doesn't fit the question whatsoever. You're fucked. I, on the other hand, am completely fine. What if they specify writing a speech or a feature article? Again, you're fucked and I look incredible because I actually know what I'm talking about rather than just reciting whatever bullshit my $70/hr tutor spoonfed me.
You've been living under a rock for too long. It's called moulding. It's like playdoh, you can make anything you want. If the question wants a cat, make a cat.

2xL

HSC
Just because someone memorises doesn't mean they don't know what they are talking about.

2xL

HSC
Yes, really. If you rote learn the HSC you are in for a big shock if you go onto university study. I would wager money on you failing one or more first year subjects in all lieklihood.
inb4 you realise that this is the hsc and not uni. Lul.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
*slow clap for your integrity. Your loss at the end of the day.
Hardly. I've actually got something out of the subject (well, not really, but I would've if the subject wasn't total BS), whereas you've learnt nothing. There's also the possibility that I'll beat you anyway.

You've been living under a rock for too long. It's called moulding. It's like playdoh, you can make anything you want. If the question wants a cat, make a cat.
There's a difference between memorising and essay and knowing points that you can talk about.

2xL

HSC
Hardly. I've actually got something out of the subject (well, not really, but I would've if the subject wasn't total BS), whereas you've learnt nothing. There's also the possibility that I'll beat you anyway.

There's a difference between memorising and essay and knowing points that you can talk about.
m8. Noone blindly memorises a band 6 essay and hopes for the best. Stop being so delusional. Mould your memorised essay (that will be far more sophisticated than the piece of shit you write on the day under pressure) to answer the question.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Just because someone memorises doesn't mean they don't know what they are talking about.
Maybe so, but everyone I know that knows what they're talking about doesn't memorise their essays. Most of my english class memorises their essays and they themselves admit they have no clue what they're talking about.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
m8. Noone blindly memorises a band 6 essay and hopes for the best. Stop being so delusional. Mould your memorised essay (that will be far more sophisticated than the piece of shit you write on the day under pressure) to answer the question.
I know people that do. What are you defining as a memorised essay?

2xL

HSC
I know people that do. What are you defining as a memorised essay?
A memorised essay; that is an essay that is memorised word for word and then ADAPTED on the day to fit the question given.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
A memorised essay; that is an essay that is memorised word for word and then ADAPTED on the day to fit the question given.
Why would you bother memorising an essay word for word and then not writing out that essay on the day? I don't understand why you would go to all that effort. If you're going to adapt it, you might as well save yourself some time and say "Okay, here's 3 topics I can talk about and here's some relevant quotes. Excellent, I'm finished".

freeeeee

HSC
I Agree with 2xL, memorising a response and adapting is fine. Do what ever your comfortable with, there is no right or wrong -don't insult people for the way they approach HSC English,
The system is built that you dont have to be Actually Good in English to do well, but you need to have the capacity to adapt a blueprint to the Essay Q

2xL

HSC
Why would you bother memorising an essay word for word and then not writing out that essay on the day? I don't understand why you would go to all that effort. If you're going to adapt it, you might as well save yourself some time and say "Okay, here's 3 topics I can talk about and here's some relevant quotes. Excellent, I'm finished".
Because, I would say only 25% of the essay is changed? The other 75% is a fucken ripper and will get me beasty marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)