Anyone else not memorizing? (1 Viewer)

declanbehan

HSC
I haven't started on the P2 essays but have a good grasp on them.

My mem. technique is to read it through aloud twice, then write all the quotes out and keep saying them in order and mentally associate the technique/effect, then write it out fully and see how close you get, repeat until perfect. You do the filler yourself, your brain remembers it between the quotes. Easy as.

So no, I'm not memorizing, just learning my quotes and the brain can handle the rest.
this guy! +1

alyssa21

HSC
N/A
I don't think it's morally superior/inferior whether one memorises, or does not memorise, essays. For some people, memorising works; personally, I can't do it as I prefer writing essays on the spot, and I think I'd find it difficult to mould an essay if I had memorised it so closely for so long.

But what I think is being missed in this discussion is the fact that the HSC fundamentally means different things to different people. For some, they NEED a high mark/ATAR/whatever to get into the course they want, and so, they might want to memorise essays if that 'works' for them. For me, I know my estimate is a fair bit higher what I need, so I'm taking yr12 and the HSC as a time where I can hopefully get as much out of the content as I can, and develop a passion in History, Sociology etc. And the thing is, none of these approaches is 'superior' to the other. Nor is one more 'successful'. I wrote all my essays on the spot and ranked 6th in my grade for Advanced, and a top-10 school.

This is about what works for people; engaging is such arguments about whether people are 'fuckwits' if they memorise fails to see this point.

Study-study

HSC
N/A
does anyone else think that 2 hours is way too less for three sections?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I don't think it's morally superior/inferior whether one memorises, or does not memorise, essays. For some people, memorising works; personally, I can't do it as I prefer writing essays on the spot, and I think I'd find it difficult to mould an essay if I had memorised it so closely for so long.

But what I think is being missed in this discussion is the fact that the HSC fundamentally means different things to different people. For some, they NEED a high mark/ATAR/whatever to get into the course they want, and so, they might want to memorise essays if that 'works' for them. For me, I know my estimate is a fair bit higher what I need, so I'm taking yr12 and the HSC as a time where I can hopefully get as much out of the content as I can, and develop a passion in History, Sociology etc. And the thing is, none of these approaches is 'superior' to the other. Nor is one more 'successful'. I wrote all my essays on the spot and ranked 6th in my grade for Advanced, and a top-10 school.

This is about what works for people; engaging is such arguments about whether people are 'fuckwits' if they memorise fails to see this point.
Very insightful input. :)

mrinfo

HSC
#yolo #fuckHSC

lol jks

Memorise all your quotes and techniques and effects!

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Takes me 3 days to memorize an essay, so make that a no ...

HSC
N/A
there's probably only 1% of the state that can go in and write a band six essay without prepping first. Memorise your essays guys, HSC is a game it's not a real learning experience, I'm surprised people think it is.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
there's probably only 1% of the state that can go in and write a band six essay without prepping first. Memorise your essays guys, HSC is a game it's not a real learning experience, I'm surprised people think it is.
That means it would take 12 days to remember 4 essays .... ( for me )

HSC
N/A
An essay is 1000 words. Do the maths .,
lol learn to read who posted what :p

oh, u did mean to reply to me, only u replied with something completely random that had nothing to do with 1% of the state being able to write on the spot...

good luck man, lol

Last edited:

MsSalSa

HSC
How many quotes is it 'safe' to remember? So that you'll be prepared (with a variety of ideas/themes) for any question that is asked?

Haidys

HSC
I have about 10 for each poem and unlimited for related (it's a song ahah)

CJBest

HSC
Memorising essays is an absolute joke...surely someone with half decent intelligence should be able to know their texts in enough detail to simply react to any question...memorising essays is restrictive and confines you to certain section of the text that may not relate as well as other aspects...just learn quotes, and various thesis points...really this memorising essays just pinpoints the flaws of the HSC, how it is a terrible indication of a persons mental capacity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)