Anyone else not memorizing? (1 Viewer)

memo15

HSC
Hey
I was going through a few threads for English and I've come to realize a lot of people are learning or memorizing essays .. I haven't "memorized" essays or a creative .. Is anyone else not memorizing? Rather just learning quotes and techniques?

jessikat

HSC
I'm definitely not memorising. My brain is too small to fit entire essays in my head. And the examiners could be mean and give a question that you can't mould a prepared response to.

Brett_P

HSC
I haven't started on the P2 essays but have a good grasp on them.

My mem. technique is to read it through aloud twice, then write all the quotes out and keep saying them in order and mentally associate the technique/effect, then write it out fully and see how close you get, repeat until perfect. You do the filler yourself, your brain remembers it between the quotes. Easy as.

So no, I'm not memorizing, just learning my quotes and the brain can handle the rest.

memo15

HSC
I haven't started on the P2 essays but have a good grasp on them.

My mem. technique is to read it through aloud twice, then write all the quotes out and keep saying them in order and mentally associate the technique/effect, then write it out fully and see how close you get, repeat until perfect. You do the filler yourself, your brain remembers it between the quotes. Easy as.

So no, I'm not memorizing, just learning my quotes and the brain can handle the rest.

freeeeee

HSC
Well no matter what you do, you have to memorise something or you will waste time during the exam.
Start small if you dont memorise the entire blueprint: Like Structure, quotes, ideas, themes

Riley J

HSC
yeah, not memorising. otherwise it's usually obvious you have memorised your essay almost word-for-word and tweeked it slightly to fit the question

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
I'm not memorising at all, but what I'm doing is to make sure I know the main points with backed up quotes. Memorising would be a really struggle for me, plus in the end you have to adapt it to the question. For the creative I will make it completely on the spot since creative writing is my strength in english.

Brett_P

HSC
Leffi, that can be a bold move with creative if you happen to have a blank. I had a blank in the trials and if I didn't have the gist of what I wanted to say I would have been screwed. Fortunately that wasn't the case, because I had some idea what I wanted to write. Just make a lil plan of events for your narrative and you'll be sweet.

teeah

HSC
I've memorised quotes. I think that's all my brain can handle.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
People who memorise are fuckwits IMO. They're completely missing the point of their education - if they're good at english they should be able to write a decent essay on the spot.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Memorising essays is stupid, don't bother, if you know your techniques well and how they fit into the text as a whole then you should be fine.

Mayazcherquoi

HSC
I'm not memorising an entire essay - just the quotes and, if I can remember them, their associated techniques and purpose.

Although.. I do know a few that have said they will go down the memorising path.. despite the teachers' repetitious statements of "don't do it!!!!!!!1111!!!!1!!". :)

sillyb3

HSC
N/A
Hey
I was going through a few threads for English and I've come to realize a lot of people are learning or memorizing essays .. I haven't "memorized" essays or a creative .. Is anyone else not memorizing? Rather just learning quotes and techniques?
Thank gosh! Someone like me! I was beginning to freak out! I think it's better not to memorise otherwise you won't answer the question.....

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Those who don't memorise or rote learn will ultimately do better overall.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
People who memorise are fuckwits IMO. They're completely missing the point of their education - if they're good at english they should be able to write a decent essay on the spot.
This.

2xL

HSC
somebody's a little butthurt they have shit memory. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Can't take it, don't play it.

Danstar2

HSC
I memorized quotes and learnt all the techniques, so I can rip at-least 3 techniques from every quote now. As for my creative, well let's just say I feel unprepared... :(

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
somebody's a little butthurt they have shit memory. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Can't take it, don't play it.
I'm perfectly capable of memorising an essay. I just have the decency to place value in my education and not reduce it to a competition to see who can memorise stuff the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)