Anyone pissed off with their assessment after smashin the externals? (1 Viewer)

engie_benji

HSC
I had a difference of 16 between them in adv english. From 73 assessment to 89 exam, ending up with 81. Wish i got a better assessment but happy wit band 5. Anyone else in the same boat?

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
quite a few i would imagine, proves you have to work through the entire year

either way well done. doing well in the externals saved ur arse

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Being accelerated, I only have Maths and MX1 - both of which were only 1 mark difference between assessment mark and exam mark.

engie_benji

HSC
i did work fucking hard during the year but one of the english teachers kept marking me shit, i think he frowned upon my 'style of writing'

HSC
Uni Grad
English advanced. Got 79 internal, 88 external mark. WTF? Got me dragged down to 84 overall mark. :(

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
IMO, I think this will occur the most in English since it is very, very subjective. I don't think it will occur has much in Maths for example that is almost purely objective.

engie_benji

HSC
English advanced. Got 79 internal, 88 external mark. WTF? Got me dragged down to 84 overall mark. :(
It pisses you off hay. I got 89 in exam and i think the overall top mark at my school was 89. Does that mean theres a good chance i topped the year in the external?

nixon3

HSC
wtf listen to this rage stoory

i got 65 as my assessment mark in english, which was like wtf. and then my actual hsc mark was 97

so i hence got 81 as my overall mark

ive called in the board to dispute

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad

i got 65 as my assessment mark in english, which was like wtf. and then my actual hsc mark was 97

wow holy shit

Dylanamali

HSC

LOL WTFUDGE..

troll much?

97, you beasted externals..
what was your internal rank =/ .. must of been hella poor.. because it's quite easy to get a b5 in adv eng (50% of candidates receive b5+)

JustJackie

HSC
Uni Grad
Not really, all my internals got scaled up heaps because of my externals.

D94

HSC
N/A
I'm in the same boat (I had a 16% difference as well). Unfortunately one of my classes didn't perform well, and essentially those who ranked lowly ended up performing the best in the exam, and those up at the top didn't perform as well as hoped. Luckily for me, it was an extension subject so the scaling helped to relieve the affected mark.

But really, all those who have performed well in the HSC but with a low assessment mark, did deserve it in a sense. You didn't do well at school, or even if you did, your rank wasn't as good, so you only need a few other people to bomb out in the HSC to affect you.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
IMO, I think this will occur the most in English since it is very, very subjective. I don't think it will occur has much in Maths for example that is almost purely objective.
+10

The fact such sizable disparities can occur reflects on the fact assessments on essays etc in English are very subjective.

Last edited:
HSC
If they counted only my assessment marks, I would've gotten an atar of 67.25. I got 80.35.

Last edited:

fuggu1

HSC
this really pissed me off. my rankings dropped in the second semester. I gunned externals but shit assessment. ended up shit atar Q_Q

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
+10

The fact such sizable disparities can occur reflects on the fact assessments on essays etc in English are very subjective.
English isn't so subjective to allow for such disparities imo. People who consistently smash english exams are proof of that.

OP just smashed the test on the day.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
+10

yes english is subjective. but if you are good enough in english you are able to mould your style of writing to any sort of teacher. if not, then obviously your work was not of good quality in the first place.. which is something some english students refuse to believe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)