Appropriate ATAR Etiquette?? (1 Viewer)

Scinery

HSC
I'm actually clueless about this...

I will be interested to know what ATAR's other students ended up getting.

Is it inappropriate to ask people what they got?
Do i adopt an "i'll tell you mine if you tell me yours" policy?
Or do i have to simply ask "how'd u go?" and be content with "i did alright."

I'm not sure about other schools, but our school meets for a barbeque on Dec 17th. I've got a few "Study buddies" with whom i used to speculate about our ATARs using SAM on a daily basis, so I think it'll be a little awkward if i don't address the ATAR at all on ATAR day when we meet.... I know i'll be open about my ATAR no matter how shit i do, but i'm not sure about these other kids :(

i don't want to come across as rude :S

Will ATAR day be filled with crying children?
Or is everyone "over it" by that time?

I haven't been paying attention to previous years so i really have no idea lol

Does anyone else plan on keeping their ATAR's a secret? If they do badly?

Pyrokinetic

HSC
Don't see the benefit of people keeping their ATARs a secret, but i know a few people that would if their ATARs are below their expectations... Its almost like trying to evade from the truth and adopting the childish "if i cant see it its not there" policy.

Suppose it must mean a heck of a lot to those people though.

boganxcore

HSC
if i fuck up i will probably try to keep it a secret and only tell people i can trust.

im also scared that this arrogant wanker in my year will shove it in my face if he beats me(unlikely), so i better beat him.

shady145

Banned
HSC
well i htink most of my friends will be posting theirs on FB
otherwise i'll text them or get them on msn and demand them tell me how they went ;)

HSC
i dont really plan on telling many people although i guess people will be finding out anyway.
im only really planning on telling like 6 people who are my closest friends.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah might fb, msn and put in bos sig if its 99+ however otherwise I might keep it to myself.
When asking others especially if you know you're going to get a mark significantly higher than someone else, just make sure your reaction to their atar is something positive that would not hurt their feelings. I think we got a bbq on the 17th as well. I think everyone's convo's will just be "hey, howd you go..i got..oh well done, i got..thats awesome!" and something like that. Once that's done, I say just get into other matters like what next or events they're going to. I know that this day would the second last visit i'd have to go to officially to my school so its a pretty sad time. For many, it would be their last.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I don't know, the people in the grade above me at church were really shy about telling me their UAIs. Only one of them ended up telling me their exact one..
One of them raged at me for asking too much lol

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Mostly i didn't like telling people i didn't know very well what my UAI was cuz i didn't know what their 'expectations' were. Like, if they didn't get a particularly good UAI i don't want to go saying a got quite a high one cuz then i sound pretty up myself (especially with all the 'point so and so'). But if they got a really really good UAI i don't want to come off as a dumbass and get the overly nice and sympathetic 'oh wow, thats a really great UAI!'

I dunno, it's really sad to be honest, but it can result in some pretty awkward situations if you and the other person are on completely different levels.

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I'll probably adopt the "how did you go?" approach and those who are comfortable with telling me what they got can tell me.

I have no idea how i'll announce my ATAR. It will most probably depend on my mood as usual XD

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

just ask them aye.

HSC
Uni Grad
above post +1

ill prolly chuck mine in msn pm or something, depends how it is

shady145

Banned
HSC
I'll probably adopt the "how did you go?" approach and those who are comfortable with telling me what they got can tell me.

I have no idea how i'll announce my ATAR. It will most probably depend on my mood as usual XD
when the 'post your ATAR' thread comes ..... ooo i got XX.XX ;)

mamoz

HSC
above post +1

ill prolly chuck mine in msn pm or something, depends how it is
+1 ill probablyy do that if my atar doesnt suck... well either way all my friends are guna find out so wats the point of keeping it in :p loll

random-1005

Banned
HSC
yeah might fb, msn and put in bos sig if its 99+ however otherwise I might keep it to myself.
When asking others especially if you know you're going to get a mark significantly higher than someone else, just make sure your reaction to their atar is something positive that would not hurt their feelings. I think we got a bbq on the 17th as well. I think everyone's convo's will just be "hey, howd you go..i got..oh well done, i got..thats awesome!" and something like that. Once that's done, I say just get into other matters like what next or events they're going to. I know that this day would the second last visit i'd have to go to officially to my school so its a pretty sad time. For many, it would be their last.

try hard

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

yeah... any less than 99 and i wouldnt tell anyone... less than 99 is just shameful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)