Are my subjects for yr 11 crap? :( (1 Viewer)

kyokaku92

HSC
Correct me if i'm wrong, but everyone who has posted in this thread so far is doing some sort of an extension course..(inc 2U maths) it worries me that i won't be..
Dude, calm down!! As I said in my earlier post, don't listen to the scaling knockers. Scaling is only there to "scare" the gullible and make the presumption if you don't do ext or science you won't get 90+. I believe if you truly enjoy the subjects you do, you will get very high marks. Those who only do high scaling subjects because of that reason are quite insecure of their future and may not like that subject. Don't let them put you down. Who knows? You could absolutely rape them in the ATAR calculation. Trust me, I used to do 3U maths but didn't enjoy the workload and ranked bottom 10 in the year. There is no way I am doing a "high scaling" subject if I know I cannot do it. I only do 3U english because I find it very enjoyable and am quite competent at English. Same with music, I have an AmusA in piano. :pirate:

Last edited:

Hardstylez

HSC
Dude, calm down!! As I said in my earlier post, don't listen to the scaling knockers. Scaling is only there to "scare" the gullible and make the presumption if you don't do ext or science you won't get 90+. I believe if you truly enjoy the subjects you do, you will get very high marks. Those who only do high scaling subjects because of that reason are quite insecure of their future and may not like that subject. Don't let them put you down. Who knows? You could absolutely rape them in the ATAR calculation. Trust me, I used to do 3U maths but didn't enjoy the workload and ranked bottom 10 in the year. There is no way I am doing a "high scaling" subject if I know I cannot do it. I only do 3U english because I find it very enjoyable and am quite competent at English. Same with music, I have an AmusA in piano. :pirate:
+1 This is great advice man

And to answer your previous question I am just about to finish year 10 and their was lots of pressure to pick subject that my parents wanted to choose for me. Do what you enjoy and are good at and you will do well!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It's because smart people go on the BoS! :p

You should do fine, but to get those upper echelons ATAR-wise on those subjects - you'll have to work extra hard. Science and maths, yes, they are great scaling subjects, yes you need lower marks to get the high ranks, but they are 'harder', per se.

lucinda808

HSC
wow, dont listen to all the people out there who are telling you certain subjects are crap.
legal studies is fantastic if your good at english. art is a great escape from equations and stuff. general maths is the best decision i ever made, and i was very capable of doing mathematics. biology is lots of remembering things, so if your good at that, go for it. one unit re is boring, but once again, if your good at english youll be fine. i didnt do modern , but i know its lots of essay writing at stuff- so if thats your strength go for it. do the things your good at and you like, otherwise you wont be motivated, trust me! good luck!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
General Maths is never a good decision - especially if you can do Mathematics. It's like stabbing yourself and stabbing yourself again.

speedofsound

HSC
General Maths is never a good decision - especially if you can do Mathematics. It's like stabbing yourself and stabbing yourself again.
calm the fuck down, it might be a good decision for other people. your opinion on maths does not equate to the rest of the year 12 body.

R

Rorzza

wow, dont listen to all the people out there who are telling you certain subjects are crap.
legal studies is fantastic if your good at english. art is a great escape from equations and stuff. general maths is the best decision i ever made, and i was very capable of doing mathematics. biology is lots of remembering things, so if your good at that, go for it. one unit re is boring, but once again, if your good at english youll be fine. i didnt do modern , but i know its lots of essay writing at stuff- so if thats your strength go for it. do the things your good at and you like, otherwise you wont be motivated, trust me! good luck!
Thanks :) this is helpful.. do you know what the difference between modern/ancient history is - in terms of format rather than syllabus; ive heard that modern is lots of essays and writing whereas ancient is more remembering pure facts and the questions are more basic? Is this the case or am i being misled? :p

bob fossil

HSC

You sound like a wanker.

You have no idea what General would be like for a general level student.

joshuarG

HSC
People should always remember that not everyone is as smart as 'The smart kids' on BoredOS! they each have different goals & expectations. While yes, it's obvious that general maths doesn't scale as good as Mathematics, it's still a good course for people who aren't competent enough with Mathematics. So anyone who is considering General should consider what ATAR they really want, but it's an absolutely fine choice if that's all you think you are capable of; & doing well in it :)

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Mate, there is no such thing as a crap subject (unless you're teacher is shit or you find it boring). Don't listen to scaling-tards who feed you rubbish about doing ext maths and science will get you 90+ ATAR, as long as you put in the work and achieve results, you will succeed with any combination of subjects. Besides, you have a very good combination of subjects :pirate:
Please ignore the people that talk about scaling. If you do subjects based purely on the scaling system, you'll most likely end up hating them and doing bad anyway. 90+ is more than achievable in every combination of subject, you just need to work hard.

If you have interest in your subjects, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. The ones you've picked look great, and there's a lot of variety. THere's no such thing as a crap subject. :)
More specifically, less marks are needed in subjects that have better students to achieve the same ATAR compared to other subjects prone to attracting the less competent students.

Do 2u mathematics instead of general (it seems hard at the begining, but its gets easy). Also maybe do something instead of Visual arts.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
You sound like a wanker.

You have no idea what General would be like for a general level student.
Although I agree he does sound a bit like a wanker through the way he phrased it, I think he has a bit of a point.
If a student finds general maths difficult, he or she shouldn't do maths in my opinion - because they'd probably benefit more from just doing another subject (remember peeps, mathematics isn't compulsory).

This is because if Mathematics was a pre-requisite or assumed knowledge for any course, it would be 2U anyway.

lil-chilean

HSC
subjects are pretty good ,really depends on what you want to be and how hard u work .with art however you should be asking yourself if your any good art it as u have a major project
but in general there good subjects just work hard and u will get the result you want

R

Rorzza

subjects are pretty good ,really depends on what you want to be and how hard u work .with art however you should be asking yourself if your any good art it as u have a major project
but in general there good subjects just work hard and u will get the result you want
Thanks :) yeah i know what you're saying but i like to pride myself on art being the subject i truly like, and am quite good at.. so modest.. but yeah i like the sound of a major work, it's a challenge and i'm up for it XD

I recently discovered a Law/Psychology degree they have at ANU and Macquarie Uni.. Im interested in both and so i'm aiming for these courses...It would be amazing to get in !

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
-> Are my subjects poor, please be honest.
-> Will not doing extension eng greatly disadvantage me
-> Does my ATAR stand a chance of being over 90?

quote]

Ok.
There are no crap subjects. Anyone who says otherwise is probably a MX2 or doing the advanced/phys/chem/bio/ext2 combination. Deathhh.

You have to work hard to do well in any subject combination. They're all a lot of work. It just happens that some are viewed as crap subjects.

It is possible to go >99 ATAR in any subject combination. So do what you enjoy and need to do for uni/tafe, work hard at it and reap the results.
:shy:

HSC
I would suggest to the OP give 2unit a go, you can't solely judge a subject mainly because it's called "Advanced", i mean it's worth giving it a go at first, but if you struggling with the subject, then you're able to drop down to general.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Thanks :) this is helpful.. do you know what the difference between modern/ancient history is - in terms of format rather than syllabus; ive heard that modern is lots of essays and writing whereas ancient is more remembering pure facts and the questions are more basic? Is this the case or am i being misled? :p

Both histories are heavily essay based and require lots of reading, ancient a little bit more so. A lot of people find modern more analytical and relevant than ancient though i personally never found this to be the case (though i am probably pretty biased as i study ancient at uni).

They are both kickass courses which are content heavy and require a lot of work. If you are mulling over which one to take and can't decide, why not do both? If you end up not liking one you can always drop it; it would be a real shame to miss out on something you may have enjoyed just because other people had bad experiences.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Agreed with the cat.
Kinda bummed that I couldn't do ancient because it clashed with art at my school.
Good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)