Are school certificate marks reflectant of your HSC marks? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Just wondering...most people get similar results for both SC and HSC. is there similarity or parallel alignment in the marks?

95-Plus

Temporary
HSC
When I was in Year 9 I asked my cousin, who just finished his HSC, "Is the School Certificate practice for the HSC". He laughed.

"Do you really think that people, who do not spend any time and still get high Band 6's, will get anything close if they do not study?"

Although if you do put in the effort you can achieve better or similar marks in your School Certificate for your HSC, you need be ready to work hard for it.

Btw my cousin ended up getting 99.95.

tl;dr - Don't take your School Certificate marks too seriously, just concentrate on the future and be ready to put in the hard work to achieve your goals.

Last edited:

ZeeZee3

HSC
Of course not, if anything, the sc is considered by most, if not, all students as a minimum standard of marks and grades for the HSC. Other than that, the HSC and the SC has no relevance what so ever, and certainly is possible for a student achieving band 3/4 to achieve bands 5/6 in HSC. So if you received a bad SC report, DONT WORRY and just let it be your motivation to work harder for your senior years.

neontiger

HSC
Not at all! I got low Band 6's/high Band 5's for all of my SC subjects and my HSC marks are all estimated to be around mid-high Band 6's now. It means nothing, mainly because most people don't put any effort into SC compared with the HSC. Even at my school - which is a top 5 school - people didn't study for SC.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Got mostly 90s when I didn't study at all for the SC.
Only got one 90+ mark when I did study for the HSC.

hmm.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Haha I wish! Unfortunately, I'll study x100000 more for HSc and probably not get anywhere near as good marks.There's no correlation.

If I got what I got in the SC, I'd get an ATAR of 99.2...ROLFMAO I have no hope of getting anywhere near that in the HSC.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I did pretty well in my SC so it would be nice to get those marks in the HSC but I think its anyone's game in the HSC. You put in the effort, you get the marks. SC's got nothing ( or very little) to do with it.

HSC
you's are making me feel so bad, i studied super hard for SC and didn't do as good, are you saying i need to top it off in order to achieve even worse marks?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
you's are making me feel so bad, i studied super hard for SC and didn't do as good, are you saying i need to top it off in order to achieve even worse marks?
SC means nothing. HSC means everything.

Just keep working hard and you'll do well.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Statistically across the state yes there is a correlation but... individually there are many examples of students whose results change markedly - in both directions.

deebsm

HSC
If there was a direct correlation then I wouldn't be as nervous as I am right now for wednesday's results! But hopefully I will be able to reach my goal. :)

deebsm

HSC
^Good luck, it's not even my HSC results but I'm excited for the 2011 BOSers, I hope they achieve all their aims.
It will be you next year! Rust me if flies by! So study hard and do well. :)

Also when you get a small break, enjoy it!

such_such

HSC
There's a reason why SC got abolished - and not just because it means you can't just leave school - IT'S BECAUSE ITS WORTHLESS! Totally and utterly pointless

wildchild666

HSC
^.. And because the Board of Studies doesn't want to fork out all the money that it does every year for the School Certificate.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What they have actually abolished is the external exam. Schools will still have to send in grades for Year 10 but now also for Year 11. That is so that if a student leaves school before completing their HSC they can get a certificate that has some sort of grading on it as a formal credential. If you complete Year 10 but not Year 11 you will get a certificate with the school based grades from Year 10. If you complete Year 11 but not Year 12 you will get a certificate with formal grades from Year 11. My understanding is that you won't be getting these grades unless you leave school before the end of Year 12.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)