Are we are allow to use L'Hospital's Rule for lim question (1 Viewer)

FBJ

HSC
N/A
I thought any theorem/technique should be allowed as long as you say what it is and use it correctly.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
I thought any theorem/technique should be allowed as long as you say what it is and use it correctly.
Pretty sure that if you want to use something outside the syllabus you have to derive it.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you can only see a method that you know that's not in the syllabus, just do it anyway but if there's a method that in the HSC, take the HSC method.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
umm its actually been in a few question 8's in 4unit over the years...
me and my cousin were doing this yesterday lol:p
Yes, but you can't say sin(x) = *insert taylor series here* in the HSC exam, and then do stuff with it.

Why? Because Taylor Series as a topic is not part of what you learn. It's not in the syllabus.

Johnstan

Sickunt overload
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, but you can't say sin(x) = *insert taylor series here* in the HSC exam, and then do stuff with it.

Why? Because Taylor Series as a topic is not part of what you learn. It's not in the syllabus.
um no shit.
the question will say... using the taylor series... or given that the taylor series is this and that...

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A

Lol, I was just showing an alternative method.

Taylor series (and any series in fact -- including loan repayments) is my favourite topic in maths. Probably why I loved complex analysis in university (the last section involving residues is basically all taylor series).

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
You read that wrong. I meant, if you don't have practice using another method, you'll probably fuck it up during the HSC exams.
Ah, right. I read it as you were saying if my school didn't allow alternate methods, then why should I expect to be allowed to use alternate methods in the HSC.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Ah, right. I read it as you were saying if my school didn't allow alternate methods, then why should I expect to be allowed to use alternate methods in the HSC.
I know, that's why I said you read it wrong. Gosh. :p

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The HSC questions are typically designed and worded in such a way that trying some approach outside the syllabus is far less efficient than using the methods within the syllabus. Also, generally if you intend to use a result that has not been covered in the syllabus, it is expected that you will derive it using only concepts within the scope of the syllabus (rather than quote it).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)