are we snobs? (1 Viewer)

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
ok after getting myself involved in ww3 i thought id propose this; are we snobs?

Do you honestly think that by coming here your superior AS A PERSON to someone at another uni? Personally i dont, same as i dont think your uai, where u live ect has any impact!

But there certainly seems to be an assumption that we are all self important snobs? so do you think this is thr truth? Or reverse snobbery on behalf of others motivated by envy that we are where we are and they didnt (or thought they shouldnt) come here?

haha Melb's answer may be interesting...lol

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Nah, your not snobs, just Melb.

But he's a cock and everybody one this board knows it.

I looked at Sydney for my course, but if didn't have the scope I wanted, your facilities weren't as good as other places either.. quite amusing, really. And the cutt off at USYD is lower than any other University in the state. So, clearly, I don't evnvy anyone who goes to sydney because there are somethings it is quite simply not up to par on, nor is it reguarded very highly in my chosen industry. Quite amusing really, ain't it? :p

but no, shell. Most of you aren't snobs, just as most of the kids at UWS aren't idiots.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Some people may be snobs, but that would in all likelihood be due to their upbringing rather than the university itself. I don't think that anyone with a brain of some sort would become a snob only after starting a degree at the university. Some (sorry, most) would think that the university is better than another, but by and large we have valid reasons for such opinions.

Also, I just have one idea for the BOS population at large... If you do not attend USyd then could you please not hijack this thread? The question is 'are we snobs?', afterall.

Edit: I just read through that thread. Quite a tennis match.

Last edited:

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I'll stop hijacking the USYD forum when others stop hijacking ours...

But I was just giving an opinion, as we are generally the ones accusing you kids of being snobs..

Generator

HSC
N/A
An eye for an eye? Eh, if you want.

I was merely trying to point out that it is a question that can only be answered by other USyd students, but that is not to say that additional opinions are not welcome.

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
-_-.... ok, some of us are, the most(rest) are not... full stop...

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
natstar said:
Anyway..u should get a diversity of opinions..having just USYD students answer in this thread is just gonna bring on biased opinions.
lol i just wanted to see how usyders felt about it but all ppl welcome, see you chose uws for the same reasons i chose usyd, usyd is the only uni who offers celtic studies, and a great range of history/english subjects i was interested in...lol...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i dont think you are snobs per se, but i do think you (some of you, anyway) are more than just a little judgemental about other uni's that you've never even stepped on the campus of (ie, all those judging newcastle after hearing sensationalised media reports about the plagiarism and racism issues)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
im sure there are snobs in all unis ...even UWS
yes, i agree wholeheartedly with you for once, however, the people i know that have gone to usyd are more 'nice reputation your uni has got itself :rolleyes:' than people that have gone to the so-called 'lesser' unis

Collin

HSC
N/A
Um, I don't think we should generalise on that we are 'all' snobs, but I do sincerely believe that the ratio of snobs/non-snobs are higher in UNSW and USYD.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
Well WR simply put id suggest the problem with usyd and ag is i doubt the majority of teh students have been near a cow, unless u count the easter show. PLus where would u put it? I mean theres no alot of space, and the airs bad..lol...so yeah id be like ofcourse UWS is superior and u go to superior courses

As i believe i said, i actually find melb fine, he seems nice enough to me!

Ha ha yes UWS houses smart ppl im sure (oh wait my friends go there, lets just ignore the uncertainity) but im glad to see generalisations arent being strictly applied! Ha ha though then agan theres reverse snobbery......but lets not get into that!

cayte

Melbournian's a dickwad and everything he expresses ought to be ignored. There may be a correlational (not causal) relationship between Sydney students and perceived "snobbery" due to a significant proportion of its student body being drawn from the children of "old-boys" who influence their dahlings to attend the grahnd sahndstone university, based purely on its "reputation". Sydney students also tend to be drawn from schools which perpetuate ideas of superiority throughout education, again a correlational rather than causal thing. The fact is that any idiot can get into university, many idiots have and most of them seem to be enrolled in my courses.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Go Cayte! True though, the snobs at Sydney mainly come from the elite Sydney Private schools.. (or the one selective school in melbourne...)

And shelly, you do celtic studies? thats awsome, do you just do history, or learn gaelic too?

As for Sydney - your Orange Campus love - you'd find a bit of open space out there ;) funnily enough, thats were rural studies/pratical Ag is taught. (B Sci in Ag is in Sydney, but it's nothing like i want..)

As for reverse snobbery, yeah, of cause it exists. But it is often simply a response to the likes of Melb.. (mostly..)

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
haha ok yes must admit my knowledge of orange campus is zilch...lol

erm i came from a selective school actually so erm stop bagging them out!

i learn some gaelic, but that just an aside, i atively learn latin though and alot of the texts are in latin.

haha i dont think some of the ppl i know who live out in the west even realise Melb exists!

Mainly i think you guys have the wrong idea about sydney uni students! I mean im actually one of the more spoilt ones (dont work, parents pay for me, plus i have a scholarship). My dad actually went to UNSW, then transfered to UOW (though he was still getting a UNSW degree, but UOW is the sister uni), and he never pushed me to attend any uni in particular...though actively discourgaged me from UWS but that cos there history departemnts kinda shoddy!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
there is an assumption that syd students are snobs because of the number of you pay out other unis and turn your nose up at them.

in paying them out often some of you imply people who are at other unis are inferior.

asdf

HSC
After reading that thread, i assumed all usyd people are snobs. But then i realised it was only shelley and melbornian (shelley trying hard to hide her snobbery).

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
erm depends on what you classify as a snob
for some, it can simply be because you went to a school in the deep woods of the north shore and you belong to a pretty postcode. you can have people give you the label without the slightest idea of your personality.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
lol see i cant see how anyone thinks im a snob but hey have that opinion i guess. LOL anyhoo this rather interesting. Hey Toodulu do you agree that Melbs an ok person by any chance?

Haha i love the way people form opinions, and im guilty of this two, off a few posted words, and hey if im a snob, oh well, atleast im a snob whose happy!

MouNtY

Well this is quite depressing...i simply wanted to go to UWS becoz it was a lot closer to me than any other uni out in the city...but then agn that might be relative to the whole "pretty postcode" thing...i don't wanna go there anymore...and i don't wanna go to USYD/NSW either...i'm gonna try get into CSU..it sounds like a nice place...and i like the courses that they offer as well...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)