are we snobs? (1 Viewer)

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
okay, so i was saying how people might get labelled a snob without any real reason. but with melbournian, i think it's pretty safe to hand him the label with a nice big bowtie on it.

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
shelley said:
i learn some gaelic, but that just an aside, i atively learn latin though and alot of the texts are in latin.
cos there history departemnts kinda shoddy!
shame you didn't learn any english

cayte

I know it's only a board Shelly, but really: "whose"? "a English"? And whatever became of the humble apostrophe? Or punctuation in general!?

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
i think we come across as snobs ( no offence to anyone) but yeah, in general, as a group we may appear snobbish.
I personally think this is mostly due to the high proportion of private school people that come here (and i mean the so called "elite private schools" that charge upwards of $10,000 a year tuition) (because thats who the uni targets at high school, the uni advertises more to them than other schools) and also because a lot of students get really dressed up to come to uni (its weird... i just wear jeans...) and ppl are often heard chatting about how they "went away to the winter chateau/summer beachouse for the weekend") Its true i hear it all the time in my course there are a high proportion of quite wealthy ppl, dont know why, but there is.
I''m not saying we are snobs, but i do think we come across that way.

cayte

In vet I'd imagine you probably have quite a few people who paid their way there too...

santaslayer

HSC
I don't think that "people who go to USYD are snobs." As Asqy said, snobs appear anywhere and everywhere. I know a substantial amount of people from USYD and they are all down to earth. Shelly, we don't know you as a person, we only know you as a forum member, so what you produce online is the only thing people have as a means of judging your personality. Watching what you say and saying everything in it's most explicit form is the only way to avoid confrontation in future.
Melbournian is an intelligent character and might have all the right in the world to be a "snob." What must be noted though, is that stating your opinions too explicitly may cause negative tension and should be avoided at all costs...unless you like stuff like that. :p
Confrontation is only cool when you can effectively pin down a person with the appropriate premisies to your conclusions. Simply stating assumptions, presumptions and preconcieved notions is no fun. :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
melbournian said:
yes, but why would people from decent schools want to go elsewhere?
you assume the other unis aren't decent or good enough for them?

I find it amazing that nothing but syndey is good for you (and others), but this time last year you were worrying about getting into uni.

if everyone thought like you people, a lot of you actually wouldn't be at syd because your uais wouldn't have made the cut off.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
hey whose is a word, admittidly its old english terminolgy, but "its still good", actually according to my lecturer in english grammar last semester apostrophe's are becoming unfashionable and soon will no longer be a part of common english grammar...and err my typings rather terrible i must admit! so that explains the lack of puncuation and general spelling mistakes, i swear i type them in the right orer....:S ...just never appear that way!

And please could ppl spell my name correctly...or just use shell, im neither a male nor a poet, please dont try to make me either of those options, failing that use michelle, it is actually my name..lol

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
melbournian said:
I still do maintain Melbourne is better than Sydney on a whole. But Sydney does have its advantages.
so now that you have experienced life as a sydney sider, you are willing to admit that it does have at least some good points about it.
i just wonder if you experienced life as a student at another university, would you also find good points about it? i believe so.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
melbournian said:
No, I was worried about not getting into my preferance.
i was worried about getting in on a HECS place....was still prepared to pay full fee
k, but i know many syd people who were all down to earth about getting a place in any uni and now they have gone to syd they snub every other uni, and if everyone had their mentality they wouldn't be at the uni anyway.

teh winnar!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!
Asquithian said:
snobs snobs everywhere... you can find them anywhere...in the city in the west...but we all know who is the best...make sure you beat the rest...and come to to usyd to jest

hmm lame
NIEC TRY AT A RHYMING STUNT

PITY THAT YOURE STILL A CUNT

Generator

HSC
N/A
Bloody hell.

I like how we are snobs yet other students make similar claims regarding our university from their own warped perspective (i.e., they themselves have only attended the one institution)... Just let the issue die.

Nice try, Asquthian :p.

cayte

shelley said:
hey whose is a word, admittidly its old english terminolgy, but "its still good", actually according to my lecturer in english grammar last semester apostrophe's are becoming unfashionable and soon will no longer be a part of common english grammar...and err my typings rather terrible i must admit! so that explains the lack of puncuation and general spelling mistakes, i swear i type them in the right orer....:S ...just never appear that way!

And please could ppl spell my name correctly...or just use shell, im neither a male nor a poet, please dont try to make me either of those options, failing that use michelle, it is actually my name..lol
I'm well aware that "whose" is a word, but it is a possessive; in the context in which you were applying the word, you meant "who is", thus who's. Your lecturer in English grammar is a dickhead, but considering Sydney University English majors can't get their heads around basic grammar (and by the way it's apostrophes plural, not apostrophe's possessive), perhaps it's inevitable. Hell, why don't we throw out correct spelling and syntax while we're at it. As long as someone gets the general gist of what we're saying what difference does it make if it's standardised?

psych_girl

HSC
Just because u dont agree with someone's opinion doesn't make them a dick head u realise, it merely makes u a concieted, self important weirdo. Seriously let me ask you something, who in there right minds sits on a forum analysing other peoples grammar? Because most peopel use this as relaxation, in terms of they are not thinking.

Besides theres more to english and life in general thn being anal about grammar!

HSC
N/A
every one I have ever meet that goes to university of sydney is a snob!

Collin

HSC
N/A
utopia_parkway said:
every one I have ever meet that goes to university of sydney is a snob!
So how many people have you met?

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
the words nuh ah really wanna be said :p

infact unsw on the open day told me not to go there cos they were inferior so NER :p

haha well everyone ive met from usyd has been nice...and most ppl from unsw are nice too....infact the only one mean person i ever met went to uts so hmmm...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)