Arhhh!! I struggle with circle geometry!! (1 Viewer)

Dumbledore

HSC
i don't get circle geometry either, i find it harder than mechanics or conics...
so screwed when i get to harder 3u

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
i don't get circle geometry either, i find it harder than mechanics or conics...
so screwed when i get to harder 3u
Circle geometry is not hard and certainly easier than mechanics & conics imo. It's hard for me to explain on this medium. Wish I can have a class to teach a course on it and I'll explain how to learn geometry including circle geometry.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Circle geometry is not hard and certainly easier than mechanics & conics imo. It's hard for me to explain on this medium. Wish I can have a class to teach a course on it and I'll explain how to learn geometry including circle geometry.
what would be the best way to approach circle geometry?

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
There are two types of people - those who see the world and understand it visually and those who understand it in words.

Geometry, particularly circle geometry, is good for the visual spatial thinkers among us.

But basically you just have to try things and see if they lead you in the direction of your answer. Visual Spatials can see the answer but others need to work it out a bit. Try things, cross them out and try more things.

It's all about problem solving.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
what would be the best way to approach circle geometry?
I don't have the skill to explain in a few lines. Still: before you can master circle geometry, make sure you master the basics of geometry: angle sum of a triangle, for a triangle ext angle = sum of int. opp angles, properties of corresponding, alternate and co-interior angles involving parallel lines and their converse; learning to prove congruency and similarity of triangles and their properties and converses; properties of isosceles triangles; properties of parallelograms and conditions for a quadrilateral to qualify as a parallelogram (or rectangle, square, rhombus etc). Understand the purpose of proving 2 triangles similar or congruent (I'm sure many can do the proof but have no awareness of why they do it). etc etc etc. Make sure you know how to apply these geometry basics! (How? Do lots of problems of course.)

Then learn the basic properties and results in circle geometry. When looking at a diagram, if necessary, sometimes turning it around/sideways/upsidedown may lead to a fresh insight; learn to see familiar geometric configurations from different perspectives.

Also I'm amazed at the number of people who draw their diagrams free-hand. I've tried to encourage many of my students to use the set squares/protractor/compass (we all had an "Instument Box" ) so we can draw geometric figures neatly and (contrary to what u think) quickly [but with little success!]; they believe they know better. Sometimes, having diagrams with fairly correct proportions/scale allow you to notice equalilty of angles or sides where a "disproportionate" diagram may mislead you into thinking otherwise. (Often, exam question diagrams are drawn "deliberately" not to scale with potentially unfortunate consequences for the less observant or skilled students).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
This makes me want to re-read over the circle geo rules....

actually, I will ^_^

Thanks Dragonman! hehe :D

hecheeseman

HSC
the most important thing about circle geometry is solving the problem on the diagram first. that avoids doing things the long way.. so if you look at the question and draw all over it until you get the answer then you can write out a really clear answer with reasons cause you already know what the final answer is..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)