Assessments (1 Viewer)

Dark Invoker

HSC
My teacher was a bitch and hated me and gave me an extremly biased mark for my assessment (15/20 whilst my assessment was a lot better than the person who got 18/20). She no longer teaches at the school (she knew she was leaving before she marked the assessments) and marked me far below what I believe I should have got.

Is it possible to request an assessment to be re-marked? If not, do assessments and such significantly effect your final ATAR mark?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
My teacher was a bitch and hated me and gave me an extremly biased mark for my assessment (15/20 whilst my assessment was a lot better than the person who got 18/20). She no longer teaches at the school (she knew she was leaving before she marked the assessments) and marked me far below what I believe I should have got.
No offense, you're hardly an unbiased source. What godly intuition told you that your 15/20 was better than someone else's 18/20? LOL, 'marked me far below what I believe I should have got' - I don't think there's too many students that have done (relatively) 'badly' that would be like 'yeah, shit I did do badly'. A lot of students will find other things to blame, like 'the teacher who has always hated you'. So yeah, no offense, I think it may be you trying to find a way to pass off blame to someone else for perhaps a little blip on your part. :evilfire:

How did the teacher know it was your paper anyway? Don't Year 12 assessments require student numbers, so the teacher doesn't know the student?

Is it possible to request an assessment to be re-marked? If not, do assessments and such significantly effect your final ATAR mark?
The policy varies from school to school. At my school, they would only mark English if you formally appealed, but if your appeal was rejected, you lost a mark. If you were successful, you got your new mark. This way they only ever got like two appeals the entire year.

If not, one assessment in school, particularly in early days will not significantly affect your ATAR at all. I guarantee it. Good luck. :)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
How did the teacher know it was your paper anyway? Don't Year 12 assessments require student numbers, so the teacher doesn't know the student?
What? This is only for things that are externally marked like HSC exams, major works etc.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
What? This is only for things that are externally marked like HSC exams, major works etc.
No, they've started doing it at my school now too.

For subjects like english, all assessments are handed in now with student numbers only, to prevent teachers getting a pre-conceived idea of the mark a student will get, based on previous reputation/marks/ranks etc.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Did they introduce it along with the ATAR changes?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
my school has done it for a couple of years now (not sure how long but at least 3 or more years)
i guess it varies from school to school. i'm guessing "higher performance" schools would do this more

@OP: you could try letting your head teacher know about your concern and see what happens from there

Dark Invoker

HSC
No offense, you're hardly an unbiased source. What godly intuition told you that your 15/20 was better than someone else's 18/20? LOL, 'marked me far below what I believe I should have got' - I don't think there's too many students that have done (relatively) 'badly' that would be like 'yeah, shit I did do badly'. A lot of students will find other things to blame, like 'the teacher who has always hated you'. So yeah, no offense, I think it may be you trying to find a way to pass off blame to someone else for perhaps a little blip on your part.
It seems unbiased but I truely believe it. Other people who got 15/20 used no where near as many statistics, sources and their writing and presentation was a lot worse...Normally if I get my mark back I can see the teacher's comments and think to myself "Ok, I'll do that better next time" however this time it was stupid comments that she marked me down for E.G Asking where I found my information as if it wasn't listed as a source in the bibliography when it was, using the words "without question", asking what a sentence meant when it made perfect sense, asking the significance of a statisitic that was relevent to the topic, asking how globalisation caused something when I said it in the next sentence, asking what the significance of trade flows are when my topic was "China in the global economy"...The only comment that I actually found reasonable was that I listed wikipedia in my bibliography.

I wish...

But yeh, I probably won't do anything about it as I doubt anything will be done / it won't make a signficant difference anyway.

Last edited:

Jack009

HSC
That's too bad. Try getting the system changed. In our school, not only is this student number system used for english, but subjects such as maths and chemistry as well.

scroates

fresh meat
HSC
I say at least take the essay to the head of department and ask them to have a look over the paper, or even another member of that faculty to see if you have a genuine case. If so appeal for a remark.

saRAAAAH

HSC
I don't think putting your student number on an assessment makes all that much difference really. Someone has to go through and put a name to it once they're marked anyway so the teachers could access your number and name quite easily. It's more a matter of morals, what mark is awarded should be a given that it was without bias especially in regards to who's work they're marking. It's just silly that teachers would do that in the first place quite frankly.
But it really won't affect your ATAR, when you weigh up the percentage and work out exactly how many marks you've lost - it would be very minimal.

:) good luck.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Well I'm thinking you're just retarded and trying to find someone else to blame other than yourself. Seriously more statistics doesn't make it better. If you really don't like it go to the head of department, but you just sound like an arrogant twat.

K

khorne

Well I'm thinking you're just retarded and trying to find someone else to blame other than yourself. Seriously more statistics doesn't make it better. If you really don't like it go to the head of department, but you just sound like an arrogant twat.
I think both. My tip: cry more.

anulik

HSC
Hi,
I believe that its true, cause same thing has happened to me last year. My chemistry teacher marked my assessment very very unfairly, and the mark I got was so unrealistic. The feedback was completely made up, saying the things that later I had proved using hundred books...whatever the case, I was completely sure in my assessment. And I ended up, applying to principle to change the teacher, I didnt even mention my assessment, there were far more things to say....
And I was lucky, cause this year head teacher of science is our teacer..
So I would advise , dont sit down and complain, just do something...argue :argue:for your rights!
Good luck :)

showy

HSC
1. go to another subject teacher, head of department or another teacher that marked the same assessments. ask them to read and mark.

2. if the teacher agrees you have been ripped off then appeal to your curriculum coordinator to get the mark reevaluated. You will probably have to appeal and send a letter stating your case.

3. make sure you don't leave this too late if you are serious about getting re-marked.
The longer you leave it after the assessments been handed back, the less chance you have of proving your case.

NewiJapper

HSC
If your a student that regularly gets 85-90% or better in all your assement tasks I'm sure that this score was a shock to you. This happened to many students at my school, they started getting a mark/marks that they weren't used to and their parents called the school and blah blah blah it got all ugly...

But I think you just have to cop it on the chin and move on IMO. They mark much harder in Yr12 than Yr11 and it's no use getting jealous over someone who has done better than you. Did you even bother to ask if you could read theirs and compare it to yours to see what the difference was?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Nope. For every single Year 11 and 12 exam, both internal and external, we had numbers, no names on our papers (for every single subject).

Last edited:

kjerste

HSC
1. go to another subject teacher, head of department or another teacher that marked the same assessments. ask them to read and mark.

2. if the teacher agrees you have been ripped off then appeal to your curriculum coordinator to get the mark reevaluated. You will probably have to appeal and send a letter stating your case.

3. make sure you don't leave this too late if you are serious about getting re-marked.
The longer you leave it after the assessments been handed back, the less chance you have of proving your case.

The most realistic advice I think. Going to another teacher and getting another opinion will give you a sense of closure at least.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Nope. For every single Year 11 and 12 exam, both internal and external, we had numbers, no names on our papers (for every single subject).

Never had that at either of my high schools.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)