ATAR Raw Mark/Cut-off Band Database! (1 Viewer)

iBibah

HSC
Most people dont know that when they pick standard in year 10. Amd after that its too late to change
This.

Plus the fact teachers make it out like adv is a subject for the best of the best.

Makematics

HSC
im lucky my school doesnt offer standard, otherwise i wouldve picked it...

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
im lucky my school doesnt offer standard, otherwise i wouldve picked it...
top 20 schools.... Then there's my school who had their first 4U student since the 1980's haha. If I had known 4U existed then maybe I wuldve done 3u then 4u in year 12. Oh well

Makematics

HSC
top 20 schools.... Then there's my school who had their first 4U student since the 1980's haha. If I had known 4U existed then maybe I wuldve done 3u then 4u in year 12. Oh well
Apparently there's some school (sydney boys i think) that makes english extension 1 compulsory. If i went there i would literally leave before yr 11 rather than attempt EE1

illbayho

HSC
N/A
brettymaccc has been kind to share an ATAR raw mark database that he/she compiled with the community. The figures should be taken with a grain of salt as alignment differs from year to year because of factors like difficulty of exam, caliber of cohort and etc.

Explanation (brettymacc): A raw mark in the final HSC exam undergoes a major amount of changing before it reaches a final aligned exam mark. Firstly, each subject’s marks are changed according to any difficulties in option questions or prescribed texts. For example, in Advanced English Module B, Hamlet may align better than Speeches (ie. a 13/20 in Hamlet may be equal to a 16/20 in Speeches). These marks become the TWM (Total Weighted Mark) which factors in the respective difficulties of the actual question answered by each student. The determined difficulties of each option or various prescribed text is done so by the Board of Studies. This mark is then aligned based on the difficulty of the exam (which is based on how the entire state performed on the exam) as subjects that receive a smaller portion of total marks statewide are determined to be harder and so candidates are rewarded to a larger extent in the final exam. This becomes the aligned exam mark which, when averaged with the Assessment Mark, gives the specific subject’s overall HSC Mark.

ESTIMATED B6/E4 CUTOFFS
PLEASE NOTE: The following are estimates deduced from the marks above and are approximations. The actual cutoffs vary from year to year as the examination varies in difficulty. Therefore, do not assume that upon achieving the marks below will get you the corresponding band. Also, many subjects such as English vary according to the prescribed texts studied (as each text aligns differently in the HSC)

SUBJECT: RAW MARK APPROXIMATION
English (Advanced) 77/100
Chemistry 72/100
Physics 76/100
Mathematics 94/120
Mathematics Extension 1 57/84
Mathematics Extension 2 76/120
Biology 79/100
Ancient History 83/100
English Extension 1 39/50
Legal Studies 81/100
Business Studies 80/100

Thanks to: Riproot, NewiJapper, paul5666, blackratpoo, ajdlinux, unholybuddha, Shadowdude, suling, jetblack2007, Spik3balloon, mols01, bayan92, Thecorey0, mecramarathon and x jiim for the achieving, posting and compiling of raw marks.

To submit any raw marks to add to the database:
PM: brettymaccc http://community.boredofstudies.org/member.php?u=1611013201
EMAIL: deletemyname123@live.com.au

RawMark v1.01 UPDATED attached below (LOL its advisable to download the latest one because 1.01 > 1.0) =]
Question: don't you have to take your rankings and school rankings into consideration as well?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Question: don't you have to take your rankings and school rankings into consideration as well?
No, this is raw external marks to aligned external marks.

But even with internal marks school and student ranks themselves aren't taken into consideration.

Frostbitten

HSC
53 raw mark for English goes to a 76? That seems kinda screwed up tbh. However I am probably not comprehending how it all works correctly cbf atm

Frostbitten

HSC
So essentially just to clarify, if we were using an atar calculator we would estimate our raw marks for our exams and then put in the aligned mark we see in this table into the calculator?

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
So essentially just to clarify, if we were using an atar calculator we would estimate our raw marks for our exams and then put in the aligned mark we see in this table into the calculator?
Pretty much, but remember the aligning moves around year to year, certain years had it better then others on different subjects. And also there's option scaling to consider, but we don't need to get too technical.

pHyRe

HSC
alignment sounds so wrong for General Maths . 89=95?, whilst Economics 89=93 only, lol that alignment.
Except that 93 in economics is worth so much more than 95 in general maths.

braintic

HSC
N/A
alignment sounds so wrong for General Maths . 89=95?, whilst Economics 89=93 only, lol that alignment.
The process of alignment is NOT designed to compensate for varying difficulties of subjects. That is what the ATAR scaling is for.

rednellav

HSC
Mark alignment has nothing to do with ATAR calculation right?

If so, how much are the "harder" subjects generally scaled before a final exam mark is given?

For example, does anyone know what a raw mark of 80 in chemistry would be scaled to (on average/approximately)?

And more importantly, why do people even care about mark alignment if it doesn't do anything other than look like a big fancier mark?

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
Mark alignment has nothing to do with ATAR calculation right?

If so, how much are the "harder" subjects generally scaled before a final exam mark is given?

For example, does anyone know what a raw mark of 80 in chemistry would be scaled to (on average/approximately)?

And more importantly, why do people even care about mark alignment if it doesn't do anything other than look like a big fancier mark?
Correct.

Refer to above.

Scaling is carried out afresh each year. UAC takes into account your raw HSC exam mark and your moderated assessment mark, both before aligning. In 2012, it puts you around the 99th percentile, which is a 'scaled' mark of around 47 out of 50. But that number has no meaning by itself - this is not your aligned HSC exam mark. It is the combination/aggregate of these marks which is used to determine your ATAR.

Aligning is in accordance to the standards. Each Band has a description of what the student understands/achieves. So under Band 6, it says:
Demonstrates an extensive knowledge and understanding of the concepts of the chemistry course content including context, prescribed focus areas and domain. Displays an outstanding ability to describe and explain chemistry concepts, including abstract ideas, clearly and accurately, and to apply the concepts to unfamiliar situations. Applies a high level of critical thinking skills in developing appropriate solutions to problems involving a long sequence of related tasks. Analyses, evaluates and extrapolates chemical data effectively, identifies complex relationships, quantifies explanations and descriptions, and synthesises information to draw conclusions. Communicates succinctly, logically and sequentially using a variety of scientific formats. Demonstrates a high level ability to design an experimental procedure.
It might be that this year, a score of 75/100 in Chemistry meets the requirements of a Band 6. It then gets aligned accordingly and so the higher the mark within each Band, the better your understanding (in theory).

rednellav

HSC
Correct.

Refer to above.

Scaling is carried out afresh each year. UAC takes into account your raw HSC exam mark and your moderated assessment mark, both before aligning. In 2012, it puts you around the 99th percentile, which is a 'scaled' mark of around 47 out of 50. But that number has no meaning by itself - this is not your aligned HSC exam mark. It is the combination/aggregate of these marks which is used to determine your ATAR.

Aligning is in accordance to the standards. Each Band has a description of what the student understands/achieves. So under Band 6, it says:

It might be that this year, a score of 75/100 in Chemistry meets the requirements of a Band 6. It then gets aligned accordingly and so the higher the mark within each Band, the better your understanding (in theory).
Thanks heaps.

I was just wondering about the extent of scaling because for the ATAR I want to achieve, I need a final mark of 70 in chemistry (according to the array of calculators I've used - they shouldn't differ too much for this year I'd imagine). I messed around for the entirety of the year up until the trials, and I'm ranked 10/18 at a non-top-200 school, and I'm assuming the 10th mark in my class will be about 60 or so. So from what I understand now, I'd need about 80 raw actual marks accumulated in the exam itself in the external to get my final mark of 70 (assuming scaling doesn't affect marks much and that the results of the state don't change too much from previous years).

That's pretty tough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)