ATAR Raw Mark/Cut-off Band Database! (1 Viewer)

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Geog's is actually quite high...

HSC
The process of alignment is NOT designed to compensate for varying difficulties of subjects. That is what the ATAR scaling is for.
Scaling has nothing to do with the difficulty of a subject, but rather the performance of the subject's cohort in other exams. Although 'difficult' subjects do tend to scale better (since 'smarter' students are more likely to pick them anyway), correlation does not imply causation.

E.g. Your raw mark in MX2 might be in the 60th percentile of the cohort, however if everyone in the state sat that same exam as well then your mark might actually be in the 90th percentile (how UAC actually determines this is an unknown, complex process). Hence your mark is scaled up due to the strong subject cohort, not the difficulty of the exam.

Last edited:

braintic

HSC
N/A
Scaling has nothing to do with the difficulty of a subject, but rather the performance of the subject's cohort in other exams. Although 'difficult' subjects do tend to scale better (since 'smarter' students are more likely to pick them anyway), correlation does not imply causation.

E.g. Your raw mark in MX2 might be in the 60th percentile of the cohort, however if everyone in the state sat that same exam as well then your mark might actually be in the 90th percentile (how UAC actually determines this is an unknown, complex process). Hence your mark is scaled up due to the strong subject cohort, not the difficulty of the exam.
Yeah thanks, I know how it works. I was giving a simplified response to the statement at hand, and in that respect my comment did its job.

And the statement "Scaling has nothing to do with the difficulty of a subject" is only true if you view scaling only in terms of the final mark obtained. If you consider scaling in terms of the amounts by which marks change, then it is not true. In any case I talked of what scaling was 'designed' to do (ie. why it is done in the first place) and not about how it actually done.

Bims

HSC
For Chemistry HSC 2013, I got a raw mark of 73/100 and that was an 86 external HSC mark

study1234

HSC
Wait, does that mean some sections of the paper could be worth more than others, due to aligning?

Makematics

HSC
For Chemistry HSC 2013, I got a raw mark of 73/100 and that was an 86 external HSC mark
cool :D i guess i got 73 raw too, since same mark. i can't quite believe that i got that high but ok :p

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
cool :D i guess i got 73 raw too, since same mark. i can't quite believe that i got that high but ok :p
I must have gotten a 75/100 raw for 88.

Most other years we would have gotten a b6 :'(

And Physics was ridiculously high for 2013 HSC. The b6 cut-off must have been around 84/100.

Same with bio. 83/100 raw got I think an 86 exam mark.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Just a Q: what would an 80+ raw in MX2 align to?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)