Australian Maths Competition (3 Viewers)

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
Re: Australian Maths Competition 2013

Well, the answer is probably never going to be 0 or 999. so make that 1/998! :p
"Probably" never going to be 0 or 999. har har har

How did you do in the competition Kurosaki? O:

Makematics

HSC

also i initially got stuck on that cody/joseph sprinting question, knew 15m wasnt right, but couldnt find out why. then came back and got 14.5m. was this even right?

Makematics

HSC

Does anyone have the paper? I want to retry some of the last few questions and to predict my mark. My school is too cheap to allow us to take the paper home even though there was a space for us to write our name, year and teacher on it. Apparently, they're going to use it as practice for the coming years, but when I asked for some practice papers a few weeks ago, my teacher refused and said something about there not being enough.
lol my teacher said i could have it back tomorrow -.- fkn great. my trials are done and school resumes on tuesday, so wont have it til then

Web Addict

HSC

lol my teacher said i could have it back tomorrow -.- fkn great. my trials are done and school resumes on tuesday, so wont have it til then
Cool. My school is so stingy.

You're so lucky. My exams end after Week 5.

Makematics

HSC

if anyone is interested this is my working. Not very logical wording but w/e
the question was something like: chris and cody run a 100m race. when chris finishes, cody still has 5m left. Cody and joseph then run a 100m race, and when cody finishes, joseph still has 10m left.
Let t be the time in seconds that chris takes to finish the race.
In t seconds, Cody runs 95m.
in t/95 seconds, Cody runs 1m.
In 100t/95 seconds, Cody runs 100m. (i.e. in 20t/19 seconds, Cody runs 100m)
In 20t/19 seconds, Joseph runs 90m.
In t seconds, Joseph runs (90x19)/20 m (i.e. in t seconds, Joseph runs 85.5m)
Therefore joseph finishes 14.5m behind Chris.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

lol i got so badly destroyed. was absolutely exhausted after my geo trial, and there was some cunt next door doing his language speaking practice rlly loudly outside but i couldnt do anything cos i was locked in by myself -.- anyways i got a few 4 and 5 markers, but for around 5 of them i was SO close to the answer, but i felt like i made a silly cos my answer wasnt there so i just moved on... like the darts one, i got JUST off the answer so many times -.- also realise do you have the paper? my teacher wouldnt let me take mine home... omg FKN knew it now i do it again and i get it in like 2 seconds...
The dart question was

RealiseNothing

HSC

Can you please remind me of the dart question? Was it one of the last five questions because I didn't attempt those ones?
3x3 square, you throw 3 darts, what is the probability of them all landing in the same column, row, or diagonal if once a dart hits a square, the other 2 darts can not land in that square.

RealiseNothing

HSC

Crap. I thought that is was 8/81.

P= 1/3 x 1/3 x (3+3+2)
I did the total combinations of all the darts landing in the same row/column/diagonal, divided by the total combinations of them landing anywhere.

The total combinations of the darts landing anywhere is easy, it's just as the first one can land in 9 squares, the second one can land in 8 squares, and the last one can land in 7 squares.

Now there are 3 rows, 3 columns, and 2 diagonals, totalling 8. Each of them has 3 squares, so you can hit all 3 squares in ways. So there are combinations of all of them landing in the same row/column/diagonal. Thus the answer is:

Web Addict

HSC

I reckon 85-90 for prize, ~75 for HD and 60+ for D.
Didn't someone at the beginning of the thread say that the cut-off for a High Distinction was around 65, which is around 50%?

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

Didn't someone at the beginning of the thread say that the cut-off for a High Distinction was around 65, which is around 50%?
changes from year to year though

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC

Thresholds vary from year to year.

HSC2014

HSC
N/A

Awards are based on percentile, not benchmarks.

FBJ

HSC
N/A

challenge is to solve the dart question when 3 is replaced by n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)