Australian Politics (5 Viewers)

boris

Banned
HSC
Re: Australian Politics Chatter Thread

zimmerman8k said:
"However, Manly Councillor Pat Daley said illegal drugs, not only alcohol, were to blame for violent behaviour at licensed venues in the area."

No you stupid cunt, drugs and alcohol are not the problem. Stupid violent people are the problem. Trying in vain to restrict their access to alcohol and drugs will not make them any less stupid and violent!
Touche, they are already violent, but it has been proven that alcohol + fuckheads = problems.

I just don't think that banning alcohol will solve the issue. If prohibition of anything has taught us, it's that PROHIBITION DOESN'T WORK GAYS

boris

Banned
HSC

Anecdotal story; why I support perhaps more stringent rules on supplying alcohol to intoxicated people.

Brother turned 18. Him and 2 friends raped a carton of beer between them and then legless as a snake, composed themselves long enough to gain admittance into a pub where they stayed for the next 4 hours until the pub shut.

It was obvious they were drunk and they kept on being served. They're not normally antisocial little pricks, but after 7 hours of solid drinking they became the biggest little cunts I've ever seen.

End story.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

This Q&A biz on ABC is fantastic.
LOVING this transperant government.
Love rudd (even thou he hurts me)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Was great. Have a much broader idea what this government is about. It was freeflowing, comprehensive, democratic, human. FRESH. Also liked how he was able to explain the goodness of the budget in a much more relaxed, lengthy way than Swam and soundbites.
Somehow it's different when the question are posed by voters. The answers are far less defensive/combative. He had to drop the pre-prepared answer a few times at the audience's insistence.
NEW DEMOCRATIC DAWN
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/qanda/

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

zimmerman8k said:
FUCK im in a rage.

Seriously can you imagine the chaos in Sydney CBD at 3am on a friday night if all the pubs and clubs simultaneously closed?
We could drink in the streets!

boris

Banned
HSC

Only bring the separate components to mix your drinks though.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

John Howard's house burgled as he watches cricket in Windies

THIEVES have broke into the Sydney home of former prime minister John Howard.

Police were called to the Wollstonecraft home on Sydney's lower north shore shortly after 4pm yesterday after an alarm was tripped.

Mr Howard and his wife Janette are in the Caribbean to watch the Australian cricket team play the West Indies in the First Test which began this morning.

They were in their hotel preparing to travel to Sabina Park in Kingston, Jamaica, to watch the first day's play when they were contacted about the burglary.

It was obvious that Mr Howard was determined not to let the break-in ruin what he said was a long-held ambition to watch a Test series in the West Indies.

"I am aware of the break-in at the house and am not going to make any comment," Mr Howard said when contacted by The Daily Telegraph at the Hilton hotel.

His words echoed those of his wife Janette earlier: "Yes we are aware the house has been broken into. But we are not making any (further) comment.''
Photo gallery: Joy, tears and election pain

Photo gallery: John Howard: The good years

The extent and value of the jewellery taken is unlikely to be known until the Howards return.

They moved back into the home last November after Mr Howard was defeated by Kevin Rudd in the federal election. He had been Prime Minister for 11 years before losing his seat of Bennelong.

Australian Federal Police stood guard outside the Howards' residence last night while police continued with investigations from inside the upstairs bedroom.
Neighbours said residents of the the leafy tree-lined street maintained a strong community sentiment and looked out for each other.

Bruce Trevena, 50, who lives opposite the Howards, moved into the street a year ago. He said the constant police presence in the area since the Howards had moved had added to his sense of security.

“We thought this was a really secure neighbourhood,’’ he said

”We all know each other here’’.

Another neighbour, Andrew, said he had heard the alarm going, but assumed it had been the house next door. During a late afternoon run, the man had seen the lights on and assumed the Howards had returned from their holiday.

“The Howards are good neighbours,’’ he said

“It’s no secret that he lives here.

“This is what happens though, in the end I suppose everyone gets their turn.’’

Another nearby resident, Mark Tannahill, said it showed Mr Howard was just like everyone else.

“The poor dude, you just think this guy deserves to be left alone.”

Others, however were not so sympathetic.

Walking his dog late last night, one nearby resident said he thought the Howards deserved it.

“I hope they took the lot,” he said.

:( very low class, senseless losers.

Paj20

HSC

Muz4PM said:
As Bruce Billson said, at least he is not peaking too early.
thank god johny is gone.

Never made a good descion and lied about everything he did.

Thats it lol.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

Rudd in damage control over working families
May 23, 2008 - 6:24PM
Source: ABC

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has been accused of betraying his so-called working families.

Mr Rudd yesterday declared he had done all he physically could to ease the burden on family budgets.

On Fairfax Radio today, he was in damage control.

"We remain always vigilant as a government in terms of how you can look into the future at other measures to assist with the balancing of the overall family budget," he said.

The Opposition's treasury spokesman, Malcolm Turnbull, says the Prime Minister campaigned heavily on cost of living pressures.

"For him to say there's nothing he can do is a betrayal of everything he said in the lead-up to the election," he said.

The Opposition says Mr Rudd has given up after just six months in office.

Opposition Leader Brendan Nelson says what Mr Rudd can do is cut the fuel tax.

"Australians might not have expected a silver bullet on petrol but they deserve a lot more than a government that's firing blanks," he said.

Family First Senator Steve Fielding says Australians deserve better

"When the government of the day says there's nothing we can do, it's an outright lie," he said.

The Government says it never promised to bring down rising prices.
WAT?

atreus

HSC

Lindsay Tanner was adamant last night that Rudd's comment was in response to what the government can do at the moment. He said that there are still many things that could be done, but at this stage i.e. the budget, they had done everything they could do.

He also said that Labor had never promised that prices would be lower than under a Coalition government. Now that I think about it, Labor was very careful not to make that type of statement like Howard did about interest rates in 2004. I guess all they did promise was to do what the Coalition wouldnt, like give powers to ACCC, etc.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

incentivation said:
I'm surprised there's not an inquiry or commission. Or is there?
the ACCC is looking into grocery prices.
atreus said:
He also said that Labor had never promised that prices would be lower than under a Coalition government. Now that I think about it, Labor was very careful not to make that type of statement like Howard did about interest rates in 2004. I guess all they did promise was to do what the Coalition wouldnt, like give powers to ACCC, etc.
yeah, the thrust of labor's argument last year was that they understood that there was a problem, John Howard was out-of-touch, old, out of ideas blah blah blah, and that they would try to do something about it. they definitely never promised that petrol or grocery prices would go down immediately, despite Turnbull and Nelson's frantic attempts to imply this.

what do people think about the reports this morning that minchin wants to put downer into treasury? you will be aware that i am not exactly convinced of the political acumen of the coalition leadership at the moment, but i don't think they would ever be stupid enough to put downer in a critical position like that.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

And the fallout from the poll i posted earlier:

Lennon to quit as Tasmanian Premier

TASMANIAN Premier Paul Lennon has addressed his staff, informing them he will quit later this morning following disastrous opinion polls and increasing nervousness within the state ALP.

Mr Lennon informed two of his most trusted colleagues of the decision last night and is formally announcing it to Cabinet this morning. He is expected to tell colleagues he wanted to leave office on his own terms.

He will be replaced, after four years as premier, by his ambitious young deputy, Education Minister David Bartlett, who is likely to be bring a less combative style to the job as Labor seeks to rebuild ahead of an election in 2010.

Mr Bartlett's deputy is widely expected to be Health Minister Lara Giddings, giving the party a fresh team as it attempts to turn around polls showing it has the support of only a quarter of the electorate.

Mr Lennon, 52, took over as premier in March 2004, following the diagnosis with terminal lung cancer of his mate, the late premier Jim Bacon.

His premiership has been marked by scandal around his own conduct and that of senior ministers, and his determination to have a pulp mill built in Tasmania.

However, he has also presided over a strong economy and advanced Aboriginal reconciliation by become the first premier to oversee compensation to the stolen generations.

Mr Lennon is expected to meet his cabinet colleagues shortly before formally announcing his decision.

Caucus will meet at 4pm.

[...]

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A

Probably what has happened everywhere else.

Leadership change - - -> Fickle electorate - - - > Perception of 'new' government - - - > Continuation of electoral success

spiny norman

HSC

Now Morris Iemma is officially the country's worst Premier.

New South Welshmen rejoice!

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

Love how that random guy Michael Hart was telling off the Rail Corp CEO lol

"You don't even travel on these bloody trains — I bet you come to work in a stretch limo. Up yours!"

:rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)