Australian Politics (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Australian Politics Chatter Thread

Newspoll
No change in voting intention. Primaries and TPP are essentially steady (57/43 TPP)
There are significant movements in the leader's ratings however.

Nelson is now Dr 17% (Up from 12) with Rudd down to 66 on the PPM rating.

Nelson's approval ratings are roughly the same, however Rudd's dissaproval rating has jumped a significant 7% to 30% with satisfaction falling by the same amount.

http://enrol.com.au/mumblestuff/pdfs/20080602newspollgen.pdf
http://enrol.com.au/mumblestuff/pdfs/20080602newspollpetrol.pdf (few questions of petrol prices)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

PM has own binge drink problem - Nelson

PRIME Minister Kevin Rudd should look at his own backyard before lecturing the rest of Australia about binge drinking, Opposition Leader Brendan Nelson says.

Delegates to a Young Labor conference in Canberra at the weekend have been accused of a two-day boozefest after leaving their hotel rooms trashed and littered with empty liquor bottles.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23801628-2,00.html
Nelson getting aggressive during the past fortnight, impressive. If only my 12 year old boyfriend would do the same :(

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Oh my

We've just had Tony Abbott as a surprise guest lecturer for my last Political philosophy of deception course!
I asked him about noble lies and he said something about being married and the word "bullshit"
Not very enlightening, but o my

Foxodi

HSC

He needs to spend money to educate young Australians on the dangers of binge-eating!

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

A tax on party pies should fix the problem.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Big Talk, Little Action - Kevin Rudd

PM to launch anti-nuke plan
Phillip Coorey
June 9, 2008 - 1:36PM

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd - the first Western leader to visit Hiroshima after it was destroyed by an atomic bomb in 1945 - will today announce a proposal for an international nuclear disarmament commission to oversee ridding the world of nuclear weapons.

The commission will be co-chaired by former foreign minister Gareth Evans and will be announced in a speech at Kyoto university.

Mr Rudd used his visit to the city to call for worldwide nuclear disarmament.

He toured the city's peace memorial park above where the bomb was detonated.

After a sombre tour of the museum, Mr Rudd said Hiroshima should cause the world community to resolve once more to exert every effort in the pursuit of peace.

"We, the people of the Asia Pacific region, should resolve afresh that this Asia Pacific century will be a century of peace," he said.

"And for the world at large, we should aspire for a world free of nuclear weapons."

Mr Rudd is expected to expand on his comments at an address to students at a Kyoto university this afternoon.

Phillip Coorey is the Herald's Chief Political Correspondent
Source: http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/pm-to-launch-antinuke-plan/2008/06/09/1212863499726.html

We'll add this onto the signing of the Kyoto Protocol and the Apology to the Aboriginals.

Big Talk, Little Action.

RohanZ

Pan fried Steak
HSC
Re: Big Talk, Little Action - Kevin Rudd

What are you on about? He DID sign the kyoto protocol and he DID apologise to the aboriginals. :S

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC

Both symbolic gestures that have seen little improvement to either of their situations.

boris

Banned
HSC

JaredR said:
Both symbolic gestures that have seen little improvement to either of their situations.
Like Germany saying sorry to the Jews!

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC

boris said:
Like Germany saying sorry to the Jews!
Incorrect. Germany has seen an increase in Jewish migration.

In 2003, for example, 12,383 Jews reportedly chose to emigrate from the former Soviet Union to Israel. But 15,442 went to Germany. The latter country, which had conceived the idea of eliminating Jews altogether just 60 years previously, was more enticing to them than the promised land itself.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/05/14/do1406.xml

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC

It did improve their situation, it has seen them return to the place where they were once persecuted. That's an improvement in my books!

boris

Banned
HSC

JaredR said:
It did improve their situation, it has seen them return to the place where they were once persecuted. That's an improvement in my books!
60 yrs later

(as somebody already pointed out)

It sure as shit wasn't instantaneous. So what makes you think the Koyoto Protocol and Aboriginal Apologies wont have significant ramifications in 60 years?

boris

Banned
HSC

Man I hate Morris Iemma so much. Smug face. His entire cabinet is corrupt or deranged.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)