Australian Politics (5 Viewers)

Lentern

HSC
Trefoil said:
That's an amazing homogeneity between pollsters. I believe Newspoll's last poll also had the 55/45 breakdown.

I guess I'm used to American pollsters who have to distinguish between registered voters and likely voters. Australian ones don't need to because we have a superior voting model (compulsory voting).

Newspoll's last poll also put the Rudd vs Turnbull ratio at about 3:1 in Rudd's favour for preferred prime minister. That's almost as bad as Nelson did. You can partially blame that on the economy (although isn't Turnbull meant to be an economic pro?), but it seems that the Liberal brand in general isn't terribly popular right now.
Election s are all about timing I'm telling you. There is no person in the liberal party wh can beat Rudd next election, libs would be best to go with a two term strategy, call the first one a write off but try and deal as much damage as possible to Rudd then thrust their best candidate into the spotlight about twelve months out from the next election. They would lose a landslide but they would lose it anyway and would dramatically increase their second attempt. My fear would be that Turnbull and Nelson-two of their most electable three MP's the third being Costello will be tainted by their lack of success during their time as leaders and the party will look elsewhere to someone else.

But who else? Hockey seems a bit thuggish when he starts shouting in parliament, Sadly the weight does not become his debating style, I think Rudd would have his number, Abbott couldn't win a raffle, Costello will probably be gone by then, Bishop might just be able to pull it off. She is nowhere near as skilled a polly as Turnbull or Nelson but I think if the two have a Peacock/Howard type rivalry she might become the compromise. I don't think the plagiarism thing will tun an election, four years down the track nobody will care, Al Gore invented the internet, Kevin Rudd's stepdad through him out of his house etc. Those things don't make a difference come election time. She has done alot to buck her ice queen image in recent months on QANDA and GNW and so on, I think she's done quite well but I also fear a Downeresque melt down. The "candid moments" bring her initial success so they get wilder and wilder and suddenly she loses credibility.

Still, Nelson may have a second coming, it happened with Peacock, Howard and Beazley, Nelson never lost an election and he can allways call Rudd's lead a honeymoon period. And none of us really know what Costello is up to, really the only contenders in the liberal party who I can guarrantee will not ever be prime minister are Turnbull, Abbott and Hockey.

Sorry for raving on but I love like a drug speculating about how party leaderships could pan out.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
I didn't know there were riots at Parliament House after the 1996 budget release? Lame.

EDIT: Wow, he stuffed up the speech to the Aboriginals at the Exhibition Centre.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Sweeping, comprehensive, epic. Very respectful to Howard. There's no doubt that he'll be seen as a towering, masterly, Menziean PM.
Beautiful interviewing technique - no questioner, just verifying the key players' statements against eachother, with extensive use of actual footage of the events. Impressed with the candour. Reith came across as a sniveling, lying dog. Was hilarious watching Howard steal Costello's thunder with the tax reform speech (stello silently fuming). I didnt realise that they were seriously expecting defeat in 98
The 'We Can be Heros' music was a bit dicky.

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Iron said:
Sweeping, comprehensive, epic. Very respectful to Howard. There's no doubt that he'll be seen as a towering, masterly, Menziean PM.
Beautiful interviewing technique - no questioner, just verifying the key players' statements against eachother, with extensive use of actual footage of the events. Impressed with the candour. Reith came across as a sniveling, lying dog. Was hilarious watching Howard steal Costello's thunder with the tax reform speech (stello silently fuming). I didnt realise that they were seriously expecting defeat in 98
Hahahaha...

"I'll...just present these 5 slides".

Tbh, I thought it would have run for a bit longer. Seemed to me like it ended a bit abruptly. :/

Lentern

HSC
Iron said:
You jest surely? For an ABC program it was shamefully sensationalised, comparable to Plutarch's "Life of Alexander." The ABC have rolled out doco's on Menzies, Chifley, Curtin, Menzies II, Holt, Whitlam, Hawke-Keating and now Howard all of which convey the same idea of a bold and courageous leader being unafraid to ruffle a few feathers in order to do what they honestly thought was in the best interest of Australia, who at times felt like the whole of Australia was against them.

A conviction politician, and allways with the loyal sidekick who reiterates that although there were times they dissagreed on specifics, they never once were unable to see the merrit in the idea. It is a narrative they have allready written and now pick out some moments from his career and try to place them together to fit the story they've allready written, getting a few cliche lines like "he was his own man" for coverage, I mean why was Blair there, what is he possibly going to add aside from a name?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Why must you always post in large slabs of waffle?

ASNSWR127

HSC
Iron said:
you do realise that most thinking people see the menzian era as boring stuffiness that was swept away by Gough - it is the rewriting of history by Howard and co that has led to this belief...

they rewrote history to suit themselves and thus ushered in a new age of stuffy boringness interspersed with scandals and neo-con radical policies which they conveniently swept under the carpet...

doesn't everyone find Australian politics a litle boring now anyway? we just saw a massive and exciting election in the US with real consequences for the world - Australian politics is so close to the centre (the new conservatives - nowadays the right wingers are much more radical than the left wingers) and the issues so petty there is realy nothing to get excited about.

bring back Gough - its time.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Go to uni. Learn stuff.
Men dont nurse.

ASNSWR127

HSC
Iron said:
Go to uni. Learn stuff.
Men dont nurse.
instead of brushing it off with a stupid thing like that why don't you actually try to deflect it? because you cant. MENZIES WAS A BORING SHIT, Howard was a immoral fuckwit and Rudd is an annoying twerp. So fucking boring.

men do nurse. very obviously men nurse. i will nurse. note the RAAF/Army bit in there as well - that means jumping out of helicopters, most BoSers would wet themselves if they left their computers for a day...

Scissors

HSC
ahahaha, i just got this picture of you in a frilly nurse's dress jumping out of a helicopter.

made me lol.

ASNSWR127

HSC
Scissors said:
ahahaha, i just got this picture of you in a frilly nurse's dress jumping out of a helicopter.

made me lol.
yeah OK that would be pretty funny :) you should draw an anime or something (whatever you people do)

how about jumping out with helmet, body armour, F88 Austeyr, Handgun, cams, communications equipment...

Scissors

HSC
ASNSWR127 said:
yeah OK that would be pretty funny :) you should draw an anime or something (whatever you people do)

how about jumping out with helmet, body armour, F88 Austeyr, Handgun, cams, communications equipment...
dude, you've totally got the wrong idea of what you're gonna be doing.

you won't be jumping out of helicopters in mid-air and fighting bad guys.

that's like me thinking i'm going to be busting into old dusty factories busting bad guys if i were an fbi agent.

get out of your little bubble and see the real world.

boris

Banned
HSC
I should probably change my HSC year :(

But still you're a tosser doing a nursing degree.

ASNSWR127

HSC
Scissors said:
dude, you've totally got the wrong idea of what you're gonna be doing.

you won't be jumping out of helicopters in mid-air and fighting bad guys.

that's like me thinking i'm going to be busting into old dusty factories busting bad guys if i were an fbi agent.

get out of your little bubble and see the real world.
yes it is - I know a Major and Captain in the RAANC, experience the real world yourself. its called AME rotary course. You are quite correct when you say I wont be 'fighting bad guys' though, wanna see the pics from Iraq? or maybe they would scare you...

Scissors

HSC
ASNSWR127 said:
yes it is - I know a Major and Captain in the RAANC, experience the real world yourself. its called AME rotary course. You are quite correct when you say I wont be 'fighting bad guys' though, wanna see the pics from Iraq? or maybe they would scare you...
no. i don't wanna see them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)