B Arts & Sciences (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
stazi said:
actual demand is unknown until after the 5th (and later than that by the uni). At the info day an advisor I spoke to said that commerce has a lot of demand that year and that the cutoff is likely to go very high. It actually fell substantially. I'm sure a lot of thought was put into that as well.
Even for B Arts & Sciences (which I initially put as my first preference), they told me that it's likely to be very similar to B arts. Well, they were wrong by 10 points.
They know preliminary numbers already dude.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Purp|e said:
with this degree ... or b arts/b sci, can you basically just choose whatever you want to do. like ive seen the 'sample' study plans and stuff, but really all i would want to do is pick my own electives in fields like psych, economics, environmental studies etc. cause i wouldnt plan on finishing this anyway so i dont really care about the whole 'major' thing
In that case you can do pretty much anything apart from marketing in eco & bus. I think there may be a few more sexceptions.

manifestation said:
That's so misleading to have 75.00 in freakin' UAC and then raise the UAI to like 85! It's so upsetting...:( :( :( :( :(
Why is that misleading? In UAC that's the cutoff from last year. This year's cutoff is the number of places vs the number of people who apply. ANd no one said it'll rise to 85.

My guess is that it will rise but perhaps in the direction of 80. 78 would be my guess. But my guess is even less valid than the professors.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Generator said:
As I said, the lecturer is far more likley to have some idea as to the nature of the eventual cut-off than anyone else, because even if no such university-driven rise occurs, they are likley to have some idea as to the demand given that they would have more than close ties to the university's administration. There's nothing to be gained by equating a lecturer providing information on such a day with a teacher or a careers advisor, because there is no meaningful similarity to be found.

Disregard what I have to say, though. I know that you will.

Edit: The lecturer may well be wrong, but I take issue with the suggestion that such a person is just thinking on the run. If the comment is made at such an information day, then it's safe to assume that there has been some thought put into the notion by the university's bureaucracy. That's all.
Looks like the lecturer was really correct :(
And yes, the cutoff stayed at 75.

Generator

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
Looks like the lecturer was really correct :(
And yes, the cutoff stayed at 75.
Are you truly that pathetic stazi? Was there a need for the above? Yes, the lecturer was wrong - that still doesn't change the fact that they knew of far more than you (all of which counted for next to nought, of course).

stazi

Nightman
HSC
my point was that i know as little as the lecturer. and yes, i had to have a little victory.

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Where can I find a list of subjects available for the Science part of the B Arts and Sciences degree? I'm so confused by this convulated enrollment process and subject selection.
Also, about this table: (Scroll down)
www.arts.usyd.edu.au/current_students/undergrad/pathways/arts_sci_ov.shtml
How do I know what are the junior units for Economics/Business? Science?
And how does this all tie in to what I want to major in???

This is way too confusing!

Last edited:

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
RCMasterAA said:
Where can I find a list of subjects available for the Science part of the B Arts and Sciences degree? I'm so confused by this convulated enrollment process and subject selection.
Also, about this table: (Scroll down)
www.arts.usyd.edu.au/current_students/undergrad/pathways/arts_sci_ov.shtml
How do I know what are the junior units for Economics/Business? Science?
And how does this all tie in to what I want to major in???

This is way too confusing!

u can tell if its a junior unit by the unit number

if its

1*** its a junior unit like 1001 or something

if its, for example, 2002, its an intermediate unit (2nd year)

if its, for eg, 3003, its yeah u get the point?

Saphira

HSC
This year will be my second in the BAS, so far I love it... you do have electives you MUST complete by the end of the entire degree... 12 credits from Faculty of Business and Economics, 12 credits from the Law Faculty, 24 credits from Science and well... a major from the Arts Faculty.

What i've done is majored in Spanish, which I'm finishing this year because I got special permission to skip ahead, and my second major is Psychology through the science department. But you see you can have majors in almost anything... with some exceptions of course.

Once you complete the three years of this degree you can apply for honours in any subject you've majored in and done well in, then from there take it to the next level of course...

It's deliciously broad so you have a lot of options.

(6 credits = 1 subject)

canisay_Elvis

Elvisite
HSC
N/A
Hey All!

I just got accepted into B arts and sciences at Usyd! yay! but now I'm faced with the difficult task of subject selection - anyone else here doing this course? I'm so lost on what subjects I can take and what ones I can't! The hand books are so confusing :(

but yay for uniiiiiii!!!

Rosie

manifestation

What?!
HSC
I found this link the easiest to follow when I was choosing....
https://ssa.usyd.edu.au/ssa/handboo...e=1&academic_year=2007&degreeid=30030&rows=50

basically make sure you complete the 12 units of eco/bus units required and the 12 for legal. Remember you don't need to do these in the first year you can do it any year but its good to get 'em out of the way.

For first year, you need to complete 24 units of arts and science.
This is what I thought was easy:

1st Semester:
Choose 1 eco/bus subject
1 arts sub
1 science sub
1 legal sub

2nd Semester:
Choose 1 eco/bus subject
1 arts sub
1 science sub
1 legal sub

look at each subject description in the handbook and they give you a good outline of what subjects to choose in first year if you want to do a major in that subject...

SpHan

HSC
tell me if im wrong...but could this course be right for me i wish to:
-learn a language
-major in psych
-study government and international relations

manifestation

What?!
HSC
Umm yes i could be right for you...but with the government and relations thing we're only required and permitted to do 24 junior units so if you do choose to study government and international relations you'll only be able to do the junior units...
as for language and psych yep, language as the Arts and psych as the science...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)