B Commerce and Science (adv. Math) (1 Viewer)

MW4521

HSC
N/A
What can the degree B Commerce and Science (adv. Math) get you? as in employment prospects
What profession are you leaning towards if you do this degree?
Please be specific! Can it be useful for working in a bank as such :)
What profession will be the most paid that you can get into with it

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
take a look at the commerce majors. they're the jobs you can get. think of your adv maths degree as something that tells your employers "i'm much smarter and can think more logically than anyone with just a single commerce degree".

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
i pretty much answered "what jobs am i most likely to get" rather than "what jobs can i get" because really you can get any job you want as long as you can show you're good enough for it.

halapenyo

HSC
take a look at the commerce majors. they're the jobs you can get. think of your adv maths degree as something that tells your employers "i'm much smarter and can think more logically than anyone with just a single commerce degree".
i was originally going to do this degree but chose to do b comm/b eco instead because i thought that would give me more options in terms of career. so will the b comm/b eco degree still give me an advantage over b comm graduates apart from the flexibility?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
oh great more comm/adv maths people who just want the degree for money

hah

Comm/Eco and Comm are pretty much the same, I'd say.

Do you know the advantage of Maths? It says "Look, I can handle very difficult concepts and think logically and reason well through problems and solve them". Due to that, a wide range of jobs opens to you - even in non-maths areas.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
What Commerce major are you looking to study?

I'd say the combination you listed would probably be helpful in heavy quant based finance roles. Not a prerequisite though, so my advice is to just go with whatever combination you think you will excel at academically and focus on getting relevant work experience and extra curriculars. Should land you a pretty decent job.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
what you are most likely going to end up as mostly depends on your majors/personality, rather than your degree since commerce/science is pretty broad and covers a lot of shit

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
What Commerce major are you looking to study?

I'd say the combination you listed would probably be helpful in heavy quant based finance roles. Not a prerequisite though, so my advice is to just go with whatever combination you think you will excel at academically and focus on getting relevant work experience and extra curriculars. Should land you a pretty decent job.
Quant roles generally aren't going to find a commerce degree terribly useful.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Correct. You will basically learn most things you need to know on the job, although the combination is still one of many path ways into a quant role.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Correct. You will basically learn most things you need to know on the job, although the combination is still one of many path ways into a quant role.
The maths degree alone is probably a better in with the business itself, though HR will erroneously look for finance qualifications when choosing people for the financial markets part of a bank. Probably better off going with a software (or comp sci)/maths combo such that you have a solid skill which is immediately useful to a quant team (mine is split 50:50 between devs and analysts), and you'll need to do a masters or PhD if you're really serious about transitioning into a serious analyst role. Thankfully, masters degrees are offered part time...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Not meaning to disagree with the above but I've met with some HR reps from some of the trading/boutique firms and interestingly they look for the non-finance degrees such as maths. I asked why and their response was so that you aren't clouded with definitions and rules which may not actually be accurate or reflective of the real business world, and that they want employees who are quick to calculate things and able to be moulded.

Regardless of that though, majority of finance jobs look for Commerce and only a handful will openly scout for someone in a non-Commerce background. If you happen to have both under your belt, then you do make yourself quite an attractive candidate.

Bobbo1

HSC
What should I major in for the Commerce component? For maths, I'm fairly certain I'll be doing Quantitative Risk..

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What should I major in for the Commerce component? For maths, I'm fairly certain I'll be doing Quantitative Risk..
You don't choose to do Quantitative Risk, you get awesome marks and then you ask to be invited.

For Commerce, you do what you want.

Bobbo1

HSC
You don't choose to do Quantitative Risk, you get awesome marks and then you ask to be invited.

For Commerce, you do what you want.
Thought the cut off is like 95 in 3u and 4u, assumed i would get approved with these marks

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Thought the cut off is like 95 in 3u and 4u, assumed i would get approved with these marks
Well did you get 95 or whatever in 3u and 4u? If you did, then okay - I assumed you could just 'elect' to go into it.

shaon0

HSC
I'd recommend finishing the core comm courses and then trying actl1001. If you like it, stay with actl as your major. If you don't like it, you can try finance or accting. From freinds doing actl and my own experience, actl's not that hard if you want to get around cred or above but requires a lot of work.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
No, because Actuarial Studies is a Commerce major.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)