Bachelor of Commerce at UNSW or Usyd? (1 Viewer)

Ksblue

HSC
N/A
Please state which one you prefer and at least one reason why.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW- higher ranked, good industry links, more majors, better teaching quality, better ASB building (methinks)

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
unsw, because if you find the workload too hard theres always the library suicide door.

Lou283

HSC
It depends on what major you want to do really. In general UNSW is considered the best, followed by both Macquarie and university sydney for a commerce degree.

In saying that I am at macquarie and have the GPA to transfer to UNSW but I don't think I will. Its about more than the course, I would suggest going to the open days and getting a feel for the atmosphere too.

EDIT: In general, out of UNSW and USyd, UNSW is said to have more flexibility in timetabling and a better commerce degree overall. From what I have heard, commerce at USyd isn't that great it gets by on it's 'prestige'

Last edited:

ochaguy

HSC
Pros' UNSW -

Learn more practical skills
eg.
  • UNSW accounting 1001 (equiv) - debits, credits, owner's equity, balance sheets in the first lecture
  • USYD accounting 1001 (equiv) - History of accounting for 2 weeks + assessable Essay ON the history of accounting.

• Able to manage your own timetable so you can actually work for 2-3 WHOLE days.
  • MUCH better IT system that doesn't crash regularly (online lecture slides, student log in services etc)
  • Free uniwide WIFI and internet access with no data quota (USYD has 14 mbs limit daily - commerce has a lot of internet based data, your lecture slides are roughly 1-3 mbs)
  • USYD does not allow for part time study (as of yet) or double majors in your degree

Pro's USYD

• Great for masters of PhD Commerce when you actually need funds for your research, international links (UNSW is more national and regional linked)

HSC
I've asked myself this question the entire year, every1 seems to choose unsw over usyd. But I dunno, I've kinda leaned towards usyd for the notion of being 'different' but that reason doesn't seem plausible when i think about it. Anyone from Usyd Commerce want to add their perspective on this difficult choice?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I've asked myself this question the entire year, every1 seems to choose unsw over usyd. But I dunno, I've kinda leaned towards usyd for the notion of being 'different' but that reason doesn't seem plausible when i think about it. Anyone from Usyd Commerce want to add their perspective on this difficult choice?
How is it a difficult choice? It's already been established and well accepted that UNSW > USyd when it comes to business.

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
Im stuck on the same question!
Im starting to consider UTS to do business/laws. But from the forums here doesn't seem that business at uts is that reputable either! seriously i need some help with my decision.
*I want a campus-uni life and want to get as involved in as much as possible.
*Mum wants me to go to a "prestigious" university (dad didnt believe that uts was even a university *omg*)
*I dont want to go to an over asian university, no offence.. (i am asian ABC myself .. but ive spentthe last 6 years at a high school with the most international students in the state!)
*I want to do some form of law (even if that is just majoring in business law) but i dont have the atar to do it at unsw or usyd
*I also want to focus on finance
*macquarie is out of the question because my sister is doing it there at the moment and im helping her with her assignments at the mo.. just no..
If anyone can help it would REALLY be appreciated. I just want to overall enjoy myself and not be a study-nerd during uni..

thanks if you can help me out!

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Im starting to consider UTS to do business/laws. But from the forums here doesn't seem that business at uts is that reputable either! seriously i need some help with my decision.
*Mum wants me to go to a "prestigious" university (dad didnt believe that uts was even a university *omg*)
*I dont want to go to an over asian university, no offence.. (i am asian ABC myself .. but ive spentthe last 6 years at a high school with the most international students in the state!)
*I want to do some form of law (even if that is just majoring in business law) but i dont have the atar to do it at unsw or usyd
*macquarie is out of the question because my sister is doing it there at the moment and im helping her with her assignments at the mo.. just no..
If anyone can help it would REALLY be appreciated. I just want to overall enjoy myself and not be a study-nerd during uni..

Well, one of my cousins graduated from UTS with BBus/LLB and now she's pretty high up the corporate ladder working at Citibank. With your ATAR, UTS may just be the right option for you.

Monstar

HSC

Unfortunately, if you want a good job in either law or finance, you'll need strong marks, strong extracurriculars and demonstrated interest in the said areas. All of this virtually points to the direction of you juggling between study, extra currics etc. I think UTS BLaws isn't a bad program to be in simply because having the prestige of law in your arsenal can't hurt.. but then you'll need to weigh up the costs and benefits and more importantly scope out whether UTS is a target school for law.

On the finance side, UTS isn't a target school but as sly hunter mentioned its possible to get a job at a reputable finance firm..if it were up to me, I'd do the BComm at UNSW/USyd and then get the marks to transfer over to law. The reason why I say this is because there is alot of heresay and talk about firms targeting specific schools whilst others rubbish this and say it doesn't matter so long as your marks are great etc. Regardless of which side is right, why take the risk? that is, side with the university with the best name so if they DO discriminate, you'll be on the safe side.

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd do the BComm at UNSW/USyd and then get the marks to transfer over to law. The reason why I say this is because there is alot of heresay and talk about firms targeting specific schools whilst others rubbish this and say it doesn't matter so long as your marks are great etc. Regardless of which side is right, why take the risk? that is, side with the university with the best name so if they DO discriminate, you'll be on the safe side.
thanks so much for the advice. really im stumped for whats going to happen next year. but if you have any knowledge or experience, *and i know this is going so off topic* ... what type of grades does it take to transfer into comm/law at usyd or unsw? like if you have a distinction average *UNLIKELY but for arguments sake..* can you get in after a year? or s it towards the end of your Bcomm degree can you add the double?

thanks regardless for your help!

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
thanks so much for the advice. really im stumped for whats going to happen next year. but if you have any knowledge or experience, *and i know this is going so off topic* ... what type of grades does it take to transfer into comm/law at usyd or unsw? like if you have a distinction average *UNLIKELY but for arguments sake..* can you get in after a year? or s it towards the end of your Bcomm degree can you add the double?

With your ATAR, a D/HD average should be competitive enough for a first year transfer.

Monstar

HSC

No idea.. but like the previous poster said, the D/HD average should be enough. Its very possible to do it after a year.. perhaps post on the law board for more info.

With that being said, I don't think it'll hurt to go balls out first year just to be safe so you can SECURE the D/HDs. This doesn't mean you'll be sentenced to no social life.. uni life is flexible and if you spend your time wisely there is always time for work and play.

chowkebab

HSC
i also wanna know which is better

it's funny how all my azn friends says go UNSW cuz its better
then the white friends say go USYD...

i am confused mang

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Good Uni Guide says: UNSW, by a tiny margin via faculty/school-wise and by a huge margin overall.

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
UNSW has better rep, especially in terms of business.

I would go UNSW, Usyd then Maq. Seriously, i find that more firms go for UNSW first. I have a friend who is currently doing a vacation internship at Ernst and Young, and during the application process, out of the 40-45 people that made it to interview stage, she said about 30 were from UNSW, 5-10 Usyd, 1 from Maq and then a couple from other unis......
BUT the funny thing is that, that 1 Maq student actually got accepted for the internship.. :)

Anyway UNSW ftw

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
UNSW has better rep, especially in terms of business.

I would go UNSW, Usyd then Maq. Seriously, i find that more firms go for UNSW first. I have a friend who is currently doing a vacation internship at Ernst and Young, and during the application process, out of the 40-45 people that made it to interview stage, she said about 30 were from UNSW, 5-10 Usyd, 1 from Maq and then a couple from other unis......
BUT the funny thing is that, that 1 Maq student actually got accepted for the internship.. :)

Anyway UNSW ftw
Mac is a good uni for commerce.

dave91

HSC
From what I've found, Mq UNSW and Usyd offer very similar courses, and after the first year the teaching is top quality.

However, the reason why I chose Usyd is because it has the name. If you ever intend to go overseas, you'd much rather a usyd piece of paper (that's all it is at the end of the day - you'll end up having to -relearn and learn so much stuff on the job) than anything else. Someone said above you can't do part time? I'm 100% certain you can. And the new degree has room for a double major and is quite flexible as compared to the old one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)