Bachelor of Commerce at UNSW or Usyd? (1 Viewer)

Garygaz

HSC
UNSW USYD top 2 unis in NSW for commerce. It doesn't exist at the same level it used to but I know some firms still place a weighting on your application based on where your degree is from (i.e a low cred average at UNSW may equal a mid/high Dist average at UWS)

HSC
So, how about an ilustration:

If there was a student from UTS with a HD average, and a student from UNSW with a C average, I think employers would favour the UTS student over the UNSW student, all else being the same (extra-curriculas, work experience, manner etc). However, if two students were essentially the same but came from different universities, I think the university one attended would play a large role in determining who gets the job/interview.

In saying that, if you look at the commerce/law degree, UNSW students are more inclined to working in a financial institution, whereas Sydney students tend to go into the law firms, associateships etc and less into an IB or wherever. Accordingly, Sydney graduates would get paid less in their graduate years and also explain why there are more UNSW students than Sydney students at interviews for banks.

Personally, I think the name of the university matters. I wouldn't give a shit about a Macquarie student if he/she came in with HD average if there was also a Harvard graduate who say, only had a D average.

Garygaz

HSC
tbh if you look at it on a basic level;

students going to unsw/usyd are all students who are sitting mid 90s in uai.

students at bathurst uni and uws are mostly high 70s low 80s.

assuming unis mark to a bell curve in awarding their ps, cs, ds and hds, a c @ unsw/usyd will most likely correlate to a high range d @ bathurst. sure, that is generalizing and there will be exceptions, but i believe it would hold pretty true.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
So, how about an ilustration:

If there was a student from UTS with a HD average, and a student from UNSW with a C average, I think employers would favour the UTS student over the UNSW student, all else being the same (extra-curriculas, work experience, manner etc). However, if two students were essentially the same but came from different universities, I think the university one attended would play a large role in determining who gets the job/interview.

In saying that, if you look at the commerce/law degree, UNSW students are more inclined to working in a financial institution, whereas Sydney students tend to go into the law firms, associateships etc and less into an IB or wherever. Accordingly, Sydney graduates would get paid less in their graduate years and also explain why there are more UNSW students than Sydney students at interviews for banks.

Personally, I think the name of the university matters. I wouldn't give a shit about a Macquarie student if he/she came in with HD average if there was also a Harvard graduate who say, only had a D average.
I agree with where you're coming from here but Harvard is in a totally different league. That's like saying what car you drive doesn't matter whether it's a Toyota or a Mazda, but then someone rocking up in a Lamborghini. For the purposes of the discussion here though, universities locally are not treated too differently at least by industry bodies, and at least in my experience, your university/academic results/academic qualifications only make up one component of your application form to get you an interview... once you've gotten into the interview/assessment centre, you're all on an even floor.

EDIT: I'll caveat the above though in that if you got through but your academics are considered poor or below the norm, you may need to explain why... but that being said, if they were still willing to bring you in despite your academic record, they must have some hope/faith in you so don't fret! Just be prepared with a decent answer as to why you think you did poorly/whether or not it was a one-off or if it's likely to be a recurring thing.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)