Bachelors of …? (1 Viewer)

THElorax17

HSC
Hi guys,
This is probably me just stressing out about random and irrelevant stuff but am I the only one really lost about what I want to do after high school. I 100% know that I want to go to uni but I don’t know what for. Me picking subjects for the hsc based solely on what I like probably wasn’t the best idea but oh well. My subjects are Ancient history, English Advanced, Maths standard, Society and culture, Pdhpe and bio [all over the place ik]. I

I’m stuck between a few degrees ideally I dont want to be studying over 7 years so that rules out medicine and law but I do like science and I like health. I was thinking about doing public health but I don’t have a good idea about what that consists of and what the job prospects are like. I’m also interested in city planning but again don’t know much about it. I have pretty good writing skills and I’m into research and stuff like that so maybe journalism so if anyone has good suggestions about any degrees or like experience in any of them please please reply

Thank you ❤

cossine

HSC
Hi guys,
This is probably me just stressing out about random and irrelevant stuff but am I the only one really lost about what I want to do after high school. I 100% know that I want to go to uni but I don’t know what for. Me picking subjects for the hsc based solely on what I like probably wasn’t the best idea but oh well. My subjects are Ancient history, English Advanced, Maths standard, Society and culture, Pdhpe and bio [all over the place ik]. I

I’m stuck between a few degrees ideally I dont want to be studying over 7 years so that rules out medicine and law but I do like science and I like health. I was thinking about doing public health but I don’t have a good idea about what that consists of and what the job prospects are like. I’m also interested in city planning but again don’t know much about it. I have pretty good writing skills and I’m into research and stuff like that so maybe journalism so if anyone has good suggestions about any degrees or like experience in any of them please please reply

Thank you ❤
So you can always change degrees or do another degree if desired. Maybe doing double degree could be the answer or a degree with flexible major.

No surprises

HSC
Hiii Idk if this is still can be helpful but I am a student going to do HSC next year(2023), I'm interested in urban planning so I can tell you a bit about it based on my understanding.
I have talked to my career teacher and went to UNSW/Macquarie uni open day for city/urban planning, I have to say both uni's lectures are pretty good and USYD, UTS doesn't have urban planning major(if you are good at design you can do something relate to that under faculty of architecture but since you are good at writing and interested in research I think urban planning is more suitable than design or architecture stuff)

I asked both uni's professor,(they are both urban planners)
mq's prof said writing & communication skills are more important than design skills in mq
UNSW's prof said everything is important(I'll take that as they need higher level of design skill but he did say you can do this major even you don't know anything about design)Well I personally reckon that's because they want more students go UNSW lol:/

Also, they both have internship program so you need to work in a real planning company, which can be a public(gov) or priv sector.(It's mandatory in UNSW but I can't remember if it's mandatory in mq)and prof said planner is a high-demand job so I reckon it might be easy to find a job(idk..theoretically haha cuz I haven't do my HSC yet)

There are around 200-250 students doing urban planning in mq and around 400 in UNSW, idk about unsw's student life but ik MQ has planning society and in mq you can do any double degree you wanna do so it might be possible if you wanna do public health/urban planning together but sadly it'll take 6 or 7 years something:(

https://www.mq.edu.au/study/find-a-course/courses/bachelor-of-planning selection rank:75
https://www.unsw.edu.au/study/undergraduate/bachelor-of-city-planning-honours?studentType=Domestic Atar/selection rank :80(I asked at open day and the prof said guaranteed atar is around 83)

I think most of schools have HSC plus scheme as well so like if you do well in a particular subject which is relate to what you wanna do in uni,it will boost your selection rank.

Based on what I know about urban planning is you need to be passionate about humanity stuff(if you like geography especially human geography)then that might be helpful,and there will be many projects when you are working so like you need to communicate and research to come up with a plan,maybe you need to make diagram by using software...?(idk I'm actually so bad at sketching)

Hope this is helpful, if you are actually doing HSC next year and you wanna do urban planning,hope we can be mates in uni :D

if you have anymore questions just drop it here I might be able to answer you(remember to check out the mq early entry and UNSW portfolio entry as well)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)