Belonging: Related Text Suggestions (1 Viewer)

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
Doing The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disney adaptation) and Immigrant Chronicle (Skrzynecki), focusing on Feliks Skrzynecki and Post card.

benji_10

HSC
Growing up Asian in Australia is a fantastic text. It's an anthology of short stories by various (Asian) people which are recounts of the authors' migrant experience in Australia. It explores identity and the subsequent loss of it in a foreign environment in an attempt to conform, relationships as a way to foster belonging and culture as a very important aspect of one's identity. Highly recommended. Mao's Last Dancer is also pretty good. It also deals with issues of identity and culture.

mystery_meat

HSC
The selected works of Emily Dickinson was my core text.

I used a couple of different articles by Micheal Leunig & The Arrival by Shaun Tan.

But I recently saw a scene from the movie Smoke. Not sure who the director is. It looked like it would be really good for belonging, and allow people to explore it an a less conventional way. The scene I saw was when a man (whose wife was murdered) was conversing with the owner of the smoke shop; he was showing him the photographs he'd taken. Each day he would set up his camera in the same position, at the same time, and take a photo.

I'm not going to describe any more but I think it would be worth considering.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114478/

swifty13

HSC
I'm thinking of doing Hairspray (film) or Tomorrow When The War Began (novel).
Do you guys think TWTWB is overdone?

HSC
Re: films for belonging

If you want quality films to use, I suggest you start with the academy award winners/nominees...here are a few I would recommend to use for belonging

Up in the Air (the one with clooney, this one is really good. pay close attention to the baggage scene)
An Education
The Blind Side
The Accidental Tourist
Working Girl

If you think about it, it's not really thaat hard. Just find what you like and see if it....relates....

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I am completely stuck w/belonging related text. I dont want to do a song because Im already using a song for Distinctive voices, for Into the World, Im doing a movie, so for Belonging I am thinking of Doing the River Boys from Home & Away, and how as a group they feel a sense of togetherness within, they unite and stick togethe no matter what, but then they feel a sense of not belonging in the community they live in; Summerbay. Their the outsiders that no one wants to associate with due to the gang; stereotype..
Anyone think its good:?
You're retarded.
Use the movie and song you're using for the other modules for belonging as well. Fuck.

retselycul

HSC
My school is quite the king of English, so here are some golden rules we are told to follow:
NO DISNEY
NO MEAN GIRLS
NO AMANDA BYNES
NO SONGS
NO ARTWORKS
NO TV SHOWS
Choose a complex text.
Choose completely different text types.

There are so many incredible options out there even after all of those categories are excluded. You want to impress the marker with your intellectual prowess, not demonstrate you watch a shitload of Glee and couldn't think of anything better, or can't read a novel all the way through.

I'm still having difficulty (thus my presence here), only just started Year 12 though so I've got time. Thinking of doing...
American Beauty (Sam Mendes and Allan Ball) FILM
Brokeback Mountain (Annie Proux) NOVELLA
Metamorphosis (Franz Kafka) NOVEL

That said I have a list of twenty other options that I'll have to go and read now. YAYERS. :(
Hate Year 12 already.

ATAR GOAL: 99.75

b3kh1t

HSC
My school is quite the king of English, so here are some golden rules we are told to follow:
NO DISNEY
NO MEAN GIRLS
NO AMANDA BYNES
NO SONGS
NO ARTWORKS
NO TV SHOWS
Choose a complex text.
Choose completely different text types.

There are so many incredible options out there even after all of those categories are excluded. You want to impress the marker with your intellectual prowess, not demonstrate you watch a shitload of Glee and couldn't think of anything better, or can't read a novel all the way through.

I'm still having difficulty (thus my presence here), only just started Year 12 though so I've got time. Thinking of doing...
American Beauty (Sam Mendes and Allan Ball) FILM
Brokeback Mountain (Annie Proux) NOVELLA
Metamorphosis (Franz Kafka) NOVEL

That said I have a list of twenty other options that I'll have to go and read now. YAYERS. :(
Hate Year 12 already.

ATAR GOAL: 99.75
Be my Brother Tropfest 2009 winner; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d-7IFN4DKA. This is really a good, yet an easy short film to analyse and it was suggested by my teacher, who is a "hard" HSC marker. Another short video, The Smith Family - Christmas Appeal 2010, is also quite good; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTXip_3xNlA.

xTANgled

HSC
My prescribed text is The Namesake. I'm looking for a related material that is preferably a poem or a short story. My other ones are Brokeback Mountain (film), and The Boy in Striped Pyjamas (novel). Any pointers on whether or not these are actually reasonable related materials would be appreciated, because I'm not familiar with their premises...

Also: A BIG HI!! as this is my first time posting here ;D

zaane

HSC
I dont know if this has been mentioned in previous posts but for my english (which i sit tomorrow), I ended up doing Donnie Darko for my strictly ballroom and into the world related text, as its basically bases itself on the need to conform or break off (whatever you choose to interpret) through individuality, and the movie reinforces its meaning through fear and love, which is not only portrayed descriptively and visually throughout the film, but can be made for great use when highlighting themes in essays.

But mehh, im shit at english, but from what I've learn't, thats my 2 cents.

lockedbox

HSC
"where the wild things are" and a short film called "The lost thing" (the book would work really well too) its a really good film which adresses belonging, not belonging, belonging to groups, belonging to place and individuality/conformity all in the space of 15 minutes. It's also a very beautiful piece of story telling thats worth a look, it even won an oscar award.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
My school gave us a document listing overused related/films for belonging. I'm just copy pasting it here.

Edward Scissorhands

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Into the Wild

Looking for Alibrandi

Shrek

The Arrival

Mean Girls

The Rabbits

The Catcher in the Rye

Bra Boys

Bend it Like Beckham

Big World "

I'm going to use Batman: The Dark Knight 2009 film, The Son of Man which is a painting by Rene Magritte and the third is yet to be decided. I'm trying to choose between Kite Runner the movie or possibly Taxi Driver. My girlfriend has suggested a book called The Memory Keeper's Daughter except it's like 500 pages long so I ceebs reading it and so i have no idea whether or not it'd be particularly good.

http://www.insidebreak.org.au/belonging/ <------------------ lists of decent related texts. I'd try to stay away from texts that already have a study guide and therefore analyse a text yourself. It'll be less likely for someone else to have the exact same analysis as you plus your own analysis will make it easier for yourself to relate your argument in the body of your essay to your thesis paragraph.

Last edited:

colouredpencil

HSC
hey, what do you guys think of 'the time travellers wife'? - the book

Last edited:

jechawk

HSC

I'm using Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers and probably My Big Fat Manifesto :)

Jodi Picoult books are also good like The Pact :)

Subjects =

Standard English :jump:

SOR 2 :vcross:

General Maths :chainsaw2:

Bio :fish:

Chemistry :chainsaw2:

PDHPE :hippie:

jellyseal27

HSC

Hey I want to ask if The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd and Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech would be good related texts for belonging.

jellyseal27

HSC

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good poem as a related text?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)