Belonging Thesis (1 Viewer)

Corinne77

HSC
I'm looking for a short, approximately 1 - 2 sentence thesis on the concept of belonging.

To include the thoughts of belonging, half way there and not belonging.

The more complex thoughts and ideas, the better.

Any suggestions??

Last edited:

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Through exploration and interpretation of texts, and consideration and reflection upon the meaning that they have conveyed, I have discovered a vast array of representations of belonging, present in these three texts in many shapes and forms, and thus, I can neither say ‘belonging’, ‘not belonging' or 'halfway there' is more powerful. To do so would be to ignore the abundance of different characteristics that both senses of belonging hold in these texts.

cupid^^

HSC
Remember that there are three paradigms in belonging:
postive
negative
ironic

YOu might want to integrate these three ideas into the thesis

fareezuh

HSC
Re: Thesis (Crap..)

preety good only you need to make it more consise

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

In the 2nd and 3rd sentence it should be ultimately not "ultimently". I also suggest you change one of them to some other word orscraping the 3rd sentence ultimately.

I'd also suggest you picking either one or the other in the 3rd setence. Either "However"or "On the other hand", not both as it doesn't flow very well.

And perhaps you should combine the 2nd and 3rd sentences :)

Ballyboys

HSC
N/A
to truly belong can take a lifetime and can often never be achieved, but to become isolated is not hard and happens often.

Andrei01

HSC

annabackwards said:
In the 2nd and 3rd sentence it should be ultimately not "ultimently". I also suggest you change one of them to some other word orscraping the 3rd sentence ultimately.

I'd also suggest you picking either one or the other in the 3rd setence. Either "However"or "On the other hand", not both as it doesn't flow very well.

And perhaps you should combine the 2nd and 3rd sentences :)
Yeah its a tautology (teachers favorite word lol)

munchiecrunchie

HSC

quite good, just condense the 2 aspects of belonging and perhaps favour one over the other eg the aspect of belonging is explored in greater depth than that of not belonging, evident in the texts . . .

its probably more useful to formulate a thesis around a specific question rather than just make one, it gives you more direction.

alyshaaa!

HSC
I've been raking my brains and i can't seem to come up with an intelligent thesis of belonging.
I need a thesis to combine belonging and displacement.
If you could help it would be so so so so so so much appreciated :)

Last edited:

steffaniee

HSC
Re: Belonging Thesis [helpppp]

this is a list of thesis' my advanced teacher came up with for my class

A sense of belonging comes from a sense of identity
Self knowledge is the doorway to belonging
To know the self is to belong
Belonging comes from within rather than without
We belong when we fell connected to others and the world
An inner sense of connection leads to an external sense of belonging
Self understanding is the key to belonging
Feeling connected to the world is an inner experience
A sense of the psychic wholeness is the pathway to belonging
A metaphysical sense of communion transcends all physical connections
The natural world is the doorway to heaven
We choose whether to belong or not
An intrinsic sense of belonging transcends all external connections
Belonging is about choosing who we are and where we want to be
The desire to belong is a driving force within us
Belonging is about self acceptance
To belong is to be
A sense of belonging begins instinsically and spreads out into the world
We cannot belong until we understand ourselves
A sense of belonging stems from a sense of inner wholeness
An inner sense of balance allows the individual to belong harmoniously in the world

ah.sport

HSC
N/A

good work.
sorry im just one of those people that judge others by their spelling.
here's some ideas our teacher gave us:
Ideas about belonging

• Similar interests can get you to belong
  • People can enrich a group
  • Desirable to belong
  • Sense of stability and support gained
  • A sense of family can be gained without any blood relations
  • Giving disadvantaged people a chance to belong and feel connected in just one area can bring all round life improvement
  • By representing the problems faced by people who didn’t belong, the show has helped to build a bridge between the homeless community and the rest of Australia. (specific to a text we studied)
  • Finding your own sense of identity by belonging to a group
  • Finding a positive sense of belonging can help and individual to move on from negative groups they may have belonged to.
  • When looking to belong, we seek trust and affection as well as a way of building our confidence
  • Everyone can benefit from belonging
  • Different people can achieve connection through music (specific to a text we studied)
  • Each individual is valued as part of the group. The individuals within the group matter more than the group itself.

Techniques used to convey ideas about belonging

Ø Colloquial language
Ø Emotive language (gives emotions to readers)
Ø Repetition of words
Ø Listing
Ø Use of short sentences
Ø Intertextual references
Ø Use of adage (proverb/wise saying)
Ø Extended metaphor
- Euphemism

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A

the most important part of a thesis is how well you back it up. you could have the best thing ever for a thesis but unless you support it in your arguments its a bunch of useless crap.

brades

HSC

"belonging is more than a state, it is a dynamic process which is affected by the individual's personal circumstances and the relationship he/she has with others around him/her and the larger social circumstances which determine the course of action taken by the individual".

HSC
There are some pretty good thesis's up there but i need help finding a thesis that not only covers beloning but also covers not belonging. any ideas ?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Well you could have something like:
The concept of belonging deals with acceptance as well as dejection. This notion is clearly protrayed through the texts bla bla and bla bla.

I love short and sweet theses. My recent visual representation introduction has a once sentence introduction :D As gibbo153 said, it's the evidence that makes the essay, not the thesis :)

Of course you can expand on that rather easily too ^^

kanetester

HSC
Belonging is an inherent human condition in which we strive for acceptance and security through others. A sense of belonging is vital for our survival and existence, as belonging reinforces our self-confidence and protects us from rejection. People group together to protect themselves from oppression and ostracision but in doing so, others are effectively rejected and alienated. To belong or not belong can be based on the perception of self or of others. People belong if they have similar interests, values, heritage, place, points of view, socio-economic status and culture. People who do not fit these subtle but strict criteria can become excluded, but the criterion is not fixed allowing for opportunity to belong elsewhere. It is therefore, not possible to completely not belong based on select criteria, and more likely based on an individual’s choice. People can decide not to belong to groups that they typically would fit into, as they might find the choice to exclude that group more alluring then actually joining them.

[FONT=&quot]As people change and grow we start to develop our own set of values and codes to which we conform. These values are developed throughout early childhood and into adulthood through personal affiliations and experiences with the groups we belong to and get rejected by. This basic philosophy is first affected by family and cultural groups that a person is indoctrinated into. We learn to judge and alienate people who are different in any means to ourselves. Mainly in terms or height, weight, skin colour and culture, it would therefore appear to be an intrinsic aspect of humanity. In Ben Folds’ One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces (One Angry Dwarf) and Philosophy he conveys his experiences of being bullied and ostracised as a child at school because he was physically different from his peers. But it was because of this exclusion that he became enveloped into the music...

My thesis plus part of my assignment.

Covers most of belonging i reckon. teacher liked it.
[/FONT]

bored of sc

HSC
Belonging does not exist - it is a creation of the imagination.

bored of sc

HSC
kanetester said:
Belonging is an inherent human condition in which we strive for acceptance and security through others. A sense of belonging is vital for our survival and existence, as belonging reinforces our self-confidence and protects us from rejection. People group together to protect themselves from oppression and ostracision but in doing so, others are effectively rejected and alienated. To belong or not belong can be based on the perception of self or of others. People belong if they have similar interests, values, heritage, place, points of view, socio-economic status and culture. People who do not fit these subtle but strict criteria can become excluded, but the criterion is not fixed allowing for opportunity to belong elsewhere. It is therefore, not possible to completely not belong based on select criteria, and more likely based on an individual’s choice. People can decide not to belong to groups that they typically would fit into, as they might find the choice to exclude that group more alluring then actually joining them.

[FONT=&quot]As people change and grow we start to develop our own set of values and codes to which we conform. These values are developed throughout early childhood and into adulthood through personal affiliations and experiences with the groups we belong to and get rejected by. This basic philosophy is first affected by family and cultural groups that a person is indoctrinated into. We learn to judge and alienate people who are different in any means to ourselves. Mainly in terms or height, weight, skin colour and culture, it would therefore appear to be an intrinsic aspect of humanity. In Ben Folds’ One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces (One Angry Dwarf) and Philosophy he conveys his experiences of being bullied and ostracised as a child at school because he was physically different from his peers. But it was because of this exclusion that he became enveloped into the music...

[/FONT]
That's outstanding. Very logical, succinct and thematic.

mckensara

HSC
kanetester said:

[/FONT]
Good on you mate!!!
brilliant.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Mine would be pretty shit compared to the other ones but here it is anywayz.

Belonging is the human condition to fulfil our social needs as social animals. Belonging is a process of grouping whereby we acheive security, safety and satisfaction by interacting with others of like minds. There are many ways we belong from social, racial, cultural, religious to institutional. There are many ways we do not belong from alienation, to isolation, to rejection from our groups.

Belonging fulfils the hunger from lonliness and identifies us as who we are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)