Belonging Thesis (1 Viewer)

phoebeee

HSC
What about barriers to belonging? Cultural/physical/social in relation to Romulus/Edward Scissorhands/Nighthawkes respectively. Just asking for any ideas as to how I could contsruct a theisis.
I just can't do english :cry:

brooksey

HSC
According to my English teacher, a thesis should be 100 words, should include a definition of your topic, present an argument and then introduce texts.
no your thesis should be a short 1 to 2 sentence argument that can be stated throughout your essay to remind marker and emphasize your argument. your teacher is probably talking about your intro/1st paragraph. its like a debate where you have a team line that you repeat throughout the debate

jm21

HSC
I want to know if my thesis is, well.. good or bad?

Belonging is an inherent human condition in which we strive for acceptance and comformity, which in turn may both unite and destroy us.
Any feedback would help me so much :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
It's a good thesis. Now, make sure your points back up your thesis.

Sgraham

HSC
"Humans are inherently in search of belonging, something vital to our existence. A sense of belonging emerges from acceptance, understanding and identification and we seek this through relationships with others which are manifested in groups based on socio-economic status, appearance, religion or nationality amongst other criteria. Yet, as the criterion upon which these groups are based upon is in consistent flux, we are in turn consistently forced to alter our identity. As our need to belong is rivalled by our need to assert our individuality, attempts to achieve belonging through exterior groups will ultimately results in ambivalence. It is only when we look within, where there exists no notions of conformity or differences, for belonging, is it attainable."

Any feedback?

Paradox1345

HSC
N/A
"Humans are inherently in search of belonging, something vital to our existence. A sense of belonging emerges from acceptance, understanding and identification and we seek this through relationships with others which are manifested in groups based on socio-economic status, appearance, religion or nationality amongst other criteria. Yet, as the criterion upon which these groups are based upon is in consistent flux, we are in turn consistently forced to alter our identity. As our need to belong is rivalled by our need to assert our individuality, attempts to achieve belonging through exterior groups will ultimately results in ambivalence. It is only when we look within, where there exists no notions of conformity or differences, for belonging, is it attainable."

Any feedback?

"Humans are inherently in search of belonging, something vital to our existence. A sense of belonging emerges from acceptance, understanding and identification. This process grows through relationships - manifested in groups based on socio-economic status, appearance, religion or nationality amongst other criteria. Yet, as the criterion upon which these groups are based is in constant flux, we in turn are consistently forced to alter our identity. As our need to belong is rivalled by our need to assert our individuality, attempts to achieve a sense of belonging through exterior groups will ultimately result in ambivalence. Therefore, it is only through reflection, in which conformity and differences are non-existent, can we fulfill our intrinsic need to belong."

jm21

HSC
hii, was just wondering which of the Peter Skrzynecki fits well with Edward Scissorhands and the concept of belonging? im having trouble relating them to each other, my thesis is about how belonging can either unite or destroy an individual.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you're having trouble linking them, perhaps it would be wise to get another related text?

lychnobity

HSC
hii, was just wondering which of the Peter Skrzynecki fits well with Edward Scissorhands and the concept of belonging? im having trouble relating them to each other, my thesis is about how belonging can either unite or destroy an individual.
1) PICK 2/3 central themes
2) Choose 2-3 poems that strongly show said themes
3) FIND a related text that shows the chosen themes
4) Using the themes, construct, reform and shape a thesis

Redo the selection process using the above procedure. Rinse and repeat as necessary for other modules.

Muser

HSC
This thread has totally confused my definition of a thesis.

In this thread are about three examples of great big long thesis' that would really only constitute as a single idea in an essay.
I was under the impression that we needed to include several different thesis' (4-5) all short which can be connected to techniques in both a set text and related text.

lychnobity

HSC
This thread has totally confused my definition of a thesis.

In this thread are about three examples of great big long thesis' that would really only constitute as a single idea in an essay.
I was under the impression that we needed to include several different thesis' (4-5) all short which can be connected to techniques in both a set text and related text.
NO NO NO NO NO!

A thesis is ONE central idea that all your themes (which you thought were theses) support, and hence argue your thesis' point of view.

g-bee

HSC
i want to base my thesis around ideas that to belong you must have shared experience, understanding and can relate to that particular group / society.

how can i phrase that properly?

jadehewitt

HSC
An individuals perception of belonging may vary depending on their personal context. Belonging is a far greater concept and cannot simply be categorised into either belonging or not to belonging, as all of the feelings, realtionships, connections and all things in between must be considered.

??? i don't know.

mystery_meat

HSC
Hey, can someone give me some feedback on these? I prefer the first one, but I'm not the fastest writer so it really needs to be very concise... which is why I attempted to cut it down (I think it's a bit too brief though).

Belonging is a fundamental component of the human psyche that provides the individual with a sense of purpose, direction and identity. An individuals perception of belonging is defined by the connections they form with the broader world and the interpretation of these connections based on their contextual influences. Humans innately strive for a sense of belonging achieved through connection however the inverse, alineation, results from an inability or unwillingness to maintain bonds with people, things or places. The reaction to alienation and belonging vary; whlist we see some individuals define themselves by alienation, conflicting connections can cause confusion and a blurred sense of self identity. The selected works of Emily Dickinson, the silent graphic novel The Arrival and the article Assimilation Blues by Michael Leunig utilise a variety of techniques to reflect notions of belonging and alienation to the responder and represent how belonging is about the interpretation of connections by the individual.

A sense of belonging is a fundamental component of the human psyche, it is through our linkages and relationships with the world that we develop a unique sense of self identity. Contextual influences on the individual will impact on the way they perceive alienation and acceptance thereby developing a notion of identity based on experiences of belonging. The selected works of Emily Dickinson, the silent graphic novel The Arrival and the article Assimilation Blues by Michael Leunig explore the individuals interpretations of belonging and hence the development of identity.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

eilys close

HSC
All I have to say is this: don't have a thesis that included the words "self" or "identity" or both. We're doing our assessment (speeches) this week at my school... and I am hearing this from every SINGLE person (and trust me, it does not related at all to the question we were given - I'm sitting near the markers and I keep hearing them sigh). It's a very egoecentric and arrogant thing to talk about - "We all need to have a strong sense of identity in order to belong (or vice versa)" is basically the same as saying, "you need to be confident to be popular". It's also a purely 20th/21st Century way of thinking, which your teachers, who are much more intelligent and learnéd than us, may not agree with. Besides, you run the risk of confusing yourself and not talking about belonging (identity is basically the opposite).

Good luck!

mystery_meat

HSC
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it, but I disagree with quite a few things you mentioned.

I never wrote that "We all need to have a strong sense of identity in order to belong (or vice versa)" - My thesis is more about the inverse; how the individuals interpretation and understanding of the connections they form with the broader world impacts on their sense of belonging or not belonging and as a result their sense of identity.

Plus, I think identity and belonging go hand in hand. I was considering what you said, and asked my brother (who did the HSC last year) whether I shouldn't write about it, and he was very confident that identity is mentioned in the rubric - I can't remember if it is, but I'll have a look later.

I know I asked for an opinion, and I really am glad you responded; I wouldn't have thought about that it in that way otherwise, and it'll be good for me to clarify this sort of stuff with my teacher. Thanks.

Last edited:

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
All I have to say is this: don't have a thesis that included the words "self" or "identity" or both. (identity is basically the opposite).

Good luck!
Sorry but i don't agree. Last year's HSC Belonging question was:

Understanding nourishes belonging... a lack of understanding prevents it
I'm pretty sure you would've had to refer to personal identity in order to answer it...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
So long as you:
1. Answer the question
2. Put forward a thesis
3. Support your thesis with a sustained analysis and textual evidence

You'll be fine, no matter how you've answered the question.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
So long as you:
1. Answer the question
2. Put forward a thesis
3. Support your thesis with a sustained analysis and textual evidence

You'll be fine, no matter how you've answered the question.
Quick question Aerath, did you refer to personal/self identity in that question anyway? just curious.

Dovalys

HSC
Belonging is a representation of the metamorphis of human nature through the sense of heritage and familal connections. Belonging is in itself the ability to feel content wih who you are as a person and the natural alterations every human goes through to acheive this state.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)