Belonging Thesis (1 Viewer)

Lex152

HSC
I like it. But I dislike pointless flattery so..

"People group together to protect themselves from oppression and ostracision but in doing so, others are effectively rejected and alienated."
Sentence seems longer to me just to include the words oppression and ostracision... I think the idea would be stonger if you linked that into the conformity idea, but don't know if it would suit your essay...

Still well done. It will be a while till I post something up, only just finished our reading of As you Like it.

29smash29

HSC
Hey, WOW all of those are soo much better then ours; its just "Belonging is a spirital, emotional, physical connection, or lask there of, to a collective identity"

just thought id put that out there,
good work btw, that essay things sounds excelent!

bored of sc

HSC
Definition: belonging is an umbrella term for the ways in which we associate, interact and relate to one another as human beings.

Arguments
- Belonging is a fabrication of the imagination; a pathway to social superiority.
- Belonging is a battle between what is right and what is easy.
- To belong is to desert what is true and natural.
- We gain safety in numbers but attain integrity as an individualist.
- Belonging is a superficial term used to make people feel ashamed if they do not wish to conform.
- Conformity both unites and destroys us.
- Belonging was, is and will be an invisible force spreading throughout the entire world. (more like a first sentence of an essay, then expand it and get specific)

Last edited:

sandesh

HSC
HOLY SHIT this thread really helped me i have load of great ideas THX to every1:hat:

smile4life

HSC
N/A
Belonging is an inherent human condition in which we strive for acceptance and security through others. A sense of belonging is vital for our survival and existence, as belonging reinforces our self-confidence and protects us from rejection. People group together to protect themselves from oppression and ostracision but in doing so, others are effectively rejected and alienated. To belong or not belong can be based on the perception of self or of others. People belong if they have similar interests, values, heritage, place, points of view, socio-economic status and culture. People who do not fit these subtle but strict criteria can become excluded, but the criterion is not fixed allowing for opportunity to belong elsewhere. It is therefore, not possible to completely not belong based on select criteria, and more likely based on an individual’s choice. People can decide not to belong to groups that they typically would fit into, as they might find the choice to exclude that group more alluring then actually joining them.

[FONT=&quot]As people change and grow we start to develop our own set of values and codes to which we conform. These values are developed throughout early childhood and into adulthood through personal affiliations and experiences with the groups we belong to and get rejected by. This basic philosophy is first affected by family and cultural groups that a person is indoctrinated into. We learn to judge and alienate people who are different in any means to ourselves. Mainly in terms or height, weight, skin colour and culture, it would therefore appear to be an intrinsic aspect of humanity. In Ben Folds’ One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces (One Angry Dwarf) and Philosophy he conveys his experiences of being bullied and ostracised as a child at school because he was physically different from his peers. But it was because of this exclusion that he became enveloped into the music...[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]My thesis plus part of my assignment. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Covers most of belonging i reckon. teacher liked it.[/FONT]
wow thats really good!

laura21

HSC
to belong individuals must compromise their own self beliefs and values to conform to the norm of society.

monsters

HSC
Here's something I've just written in preparation for our half-yearly exams. We were asked to come up with a thesis for the overall concept, and I hope I'm on the right track.

"We, as human beings, develop a need to belong at some point in our lives, whether it is at school, in the workplace, in the family, in the community, in the nation, or in the world. However, to say that all human beings are searching for somewhere to belong is an oversimplification and fails to take into account the various other aspects of belonging that contribute to a person’s individuality and sense of self. The overall concept of belonging not only addresses ideas of acceptance, tolerance and understanding, but also alienation, rejection and separation when the aforementioned is unattainable or unwanted. It is therefore a complex, multi-faceted idea, affected by a number of various factors including family, culture, religion, heritage and relationships, all of which contribute to who we are today and whom we can become in the future."

Anything I can work on?

studentcheese

HSC
According to my English teacher, a thesis should be 100 words, should include a definition of your topic, present an argument and then introduce texts.

Ashabella

HSC
Belonging does not exist - it is a creation of the imagination.
haha

That's my thesis too.

I did a speech on it and my first line was:

"Belonging does not exist"

I got a few weird looks...

But I really think it's true, it doesn't exist.

E

Empyrean444

But a creation of the imagination still "exists", even if it is not concrete/physical.

shell.q

HSC
the need to belong to a community or society can shape ones behaviour, action and attitudes

i came of that through the silly-buss

patriciaugarte

HSC
N/A
Complete and true belonging is based on the acceptance of differences. However, because total acceptance is a figment of the human imagination and is impossible so is belonging.

no??

funk1234

HSC
ideas for belonging.

there are many types of belonging and groups: family, cultural, national, educational, social...

most people belong to a number of groups which may serve different needs.

a sense of belonging can result in contentment and happiness - a major contributor to a sense of identity as we know our place in the world.

belonging to groups can increase our power: 'together we are strong...'

there is a sense of belonging to our cultural heritage - often underestimated by individuals.

we can be forced to belong.

belonging to some groups can have negative results.

we show we belong in many ways - uniform, body language, language.

slang and jargon use are linked to belonging - they can be used to include and exclude.

belonging to a group can stifle individuality.

many people choose not to belong - ironically such rebellion can actually make a new group to belong to.

if we belong to no groups we can be powerless.

these are just thoughts off the top of my head don't criticise!!!

groovi-gal

HSC
Belonging is not a human need in itself but rather a possible path to an individuals self actualisation. Your sense of identity can be defined by belonging or not belonging to a particular group

kanetester

HSC
I like it. But I dislike pointless flattery so..

"People group together to protect themselves from oppression and ostracision but in doing so, others are effectively rejected and alienated."
Sentence seems longer to me just to include the words oppression and ostracision... I think the idea would be stonger if you linked that into the conformity idea, but don't know if it would suit your essay...

Still well done. It will be a while till I post something up, only just finished our reading of As you Like it.
Thanks for the feedback, i havnt been on here in ages. Thanks to the others who like it.

Jessss12

HSC
so we go into the exam with a thesis yeah?
or multiple ones even and choose the best one which can be shaped to the question??

gardenguru

HSC
[FONT=&quot]Belonging is a complex process, it is a concept that is not felt strongly or sustained unless the many elements that create the initial sense of connection with people, places, communities and the world, work collectively. Humans have a common desire to belong. At times the actions of others to include an individual are necessary in establishing a sense of belonging. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]At the heart of belonging, there is a tension between the need to belong and the need to assert our individuality. It’s a life long lesson on how to belong, but still remain unique.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]A motive to belong is the need for strong, stable relationships with other people. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Other general concepts of belonging include the connections with our surrounding natural and social environments. Significant moments that bring individuals together either through adversity or shared experiences are also a part of the process of belonging. Shared ideals and cultural experiences are often the motive to help forge a strong sense of belonging. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Perceptions and ideas of belonging, or of not belonging, vary. These perceptions are shaped by people, places, communities and the world.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Furthermore, ultimately the actions of others are essential catalysts for an individual to belong. Through an analysis of the texts.....the concept of belong will be discussed and explored. [/FONT]

Evil Sprinkles

HSC
Re: Belonging Thesis [helpppp]

the most important part of a thesis is how well you back it up. you could have the best thing ever for a thesis but unless you support it in your arguments its a bunch of useless crap.
To me, English IS just a useless piece of crap :)
Your thesis has to back up both the views conveyed in the texts AND how it resonated with you

EG - If a Sckrzynecki poem conveyed that belonging is the ultimate human desire, but you did NOT feel that way, you can say that in your essay, I can imagine you'd get some sort of Browning points for backing up somehting like that PROVIDED you have proof (maybe a quote from another of Peters poems or your chosen text).

Undoubtedly you have to include the three main ideas of belonging
Belonging
Not belonging
Halfway there

Without that your thesis straght away lacks substance and depth and it tells the markers that you have no insight into other views of the concept.

I hate this concept with a passion, but were stuck with it until the 21st D:
After that its gone FOREVER :D

I havent actually rewritten my thesis since the trials, todays my first study day entirely dedicated to Belonging. I just hope my 2 cents helped in some way :) If not then just ignore it because I might just be going on about crap.

anthonyd

HSC
How does this sound?

"Belonging is ironically acheived when an individual is challeneged within communitites and groups and forced onto a path of self-realisation and discovery."

Maths 2U advanced :angry:

Physics :cry:

Ancient History :devil:

English Advanced :uhhuh:

History Extension :drink:

DT :shy:

Religion 1U :angel:

Aim: 92 UAI :balloon: ACHEIVED!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)