Best English tutoring centres / tutors? (1 Viewer)

poseid0n

HSC
Hi! I'm trying to figure out the best tutoring centres and/or tutors to go to for Y11 English Adv. tutoring (ext 1 if they offer it as well). I've looked at Matrix and Talent100 so far based on past experiences with those centres, but other than that, I'm mostly at a loss right now.

Any input and advice is welcome! Thanks :)

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi! I'm trying to figure out the best tutoring centres and/or tutors to go to for Y11 English Adv. tutoring (ext 1 if they offer it as well). I've looked at Matrix and Talent100 so far based on past experiences with those centres, but other than that, I'm mostly at a loss right now.

English without a doubt I would recommend private tutoring.

For other subjects such as Maths people go to group tutoring to better understand the content because their teacher isn’t that good or for a ton of resources. English requires much more personalised attention because it’s more than just understanding the texts, so groups isn’t a good idea because that would just literally be like your class in school.

poseid0n

HSC
English without a doubt I would recommend private tutoring.

For other subjects such as Maths people go to group tutoring to better understand the content because their teacher isn’t that good or for a ton of resources. English requires much more personalised attention, so groups isn’t a good idea because that would just literally be like your class in school.
Do you have any recommendations?

sleepypanda232

HSC

My personal experiences with Matrix have all been TERRIBLE so my general opinion is to stay as far away that you possibly can from Matrix lol. Based on some friends who went to English tutoring at tutoring colleges, it isn't necessarily the best option for you to improve. I think the best way to improve in English is putting in the hours. I wasn't all that good at English in Year 10, but put in consistent effort and hours into studying in Year 11 and managed to top both my Advanced and Extension classes. Ask yourself is tutoring absolutely essential?

If you still want tutoring, I've just finished the HSC, and did really well in English Advanced (94/100 in trials). I've had extensive experience private tutoring so if you're interested, DM me!

worldno17

HSC
N/A
Hey, I graduated last year with 96/100 in Advanced English and I went to ecriture in Chatswood. Highly recommend them!

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Do you have any recommendations?
I’m sorry I don’t really have any recommendations but there are many great tutors that advertise themselves here on bos and they all have wonderful credentials. I suggest checking one of them out or like what I did get a tutor from a reference. Maybe a family friend or friend had a good private tutor. Maybe even ask the top English students who they’re going to go to for tutoring or if they know someone.

angie_c@_@

HSC

It really depends on your learning style. Private tutors are only good if you can be sure they have lots of experience with TEACHING - great marks don't always equal good teaching so keep your eyes peeled for that. I tried out a few private tutors with good marks but they just didn't know how to tell me how to be good lol. But, on that note, marks are still a good indication of whether or not they can help you out.

Private tutors also often don't have a scaffold they work off so if you want more structured learning and want to focus on improving your foundations, a centre with course materials and a good course is important.

I went to Matrix for a term but it was too theoretic and not enough application. I had a private tutor too but they were only really good to help me edit my essays and I think I still had to teach myself. They got really good marks but they never really properly taught me exactly why I was wrong. My friends went to other places too like Delta (bit pricey tho), Simply English (small group classes) and Dux College (was decent I think). Some places give free trial classes so it would be good to go around and try a few.

This is a bit chaotic but hope it gives you some direction ^__^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)