Best Movie 2008: Slumdog Millionare (1 Viewer)

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
There's a suspension of belief when it comes to movie-fate. I agree, all fate has to be controlled by writers. Because it is a fictional world no? But it is the premise that the only conflict between Jamal and Latika being together was time. That there was no plausibility as to why Jamal kept finding Latika. He seemed fine during the voyage on the trains with Salim. This was the highpoint of the film to me. The bond of brothers.

And you bring up a good point about it being a Love story. I think this is the source of my agitation. It had been something along the lines of 'City of God' and a tale of choices and destiny. Then the film falls into it's Quest for Latika and this pulled me away. Not because I hate love, but because I felt the bond between the brothers was unfairly overshadowed by this third musketeer. Who only expresses her true love at such a convenient time, while poor Jamal is busting his balls. But I guess...thats what love is all about.

Anyway, the cinematogoraphy, as you mentioned, is superb. I could almost feel as if I was in India. The whole hand-held aesthetic was touching; it's ability to glorify India's slums is a feat within itself no doubt.
its really difficult to argue specifics without giving plot detail away, but i dont think she expressed her love at convenient times at all, and in fact i think she appeared to be acting in Jamal's best interests rather than 'choosing' when to and when not to love him.

johony

HSC
i saw this yesterday. yeah, yeah it is touching and beautiful, but i can't help but feel that slumdog millionaire is a slightly overrated film.

Dr. Oyster

HSC
i saw this yesterday. yeah, yeah it is touching and beautiful, but i can't help but feel that slumdog millionaire is a slightly overrated film.
I agree with you there. The ending was a bit predictable.

КГБ

Banned
HSC
I think the modern urban Indians from the middle class are really insecure about the reality of the slums. The reality which the majority of urban population in india actually lives in.

That's why we are getting so many negative reviews even though the movie is actually really good.

melb22

HSC
N/A
what do u guys think of the music in the first 30 secs of this clip...it is by A R RAHMAN, the same guy that composed the music for slumdog....i cant stop listening to it....

YouTube - Delhi 6 Teaser

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Oh fuck yes, this film is screening in Newcastle now. Seeing it tonight in that case.

I thought it would never come :cries:

This city really needs an alternative cinema.

Artemis.

HSC
Loved Slumdog, but for me, In Bruges and WALL-E were the best movies in 2008.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

It wasn't that amazing, I won't think about it much and I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again.

Burn after reading/dark knight/ probs some of those other films I haven't seen were better.

Last edited:
HSC
i haven't watched many of 2008's movies but Slumdog Millionaire really was good :)

ballin

Banned
HSC
LOL@ Dark Knight as the best movie. wont happen, cos no one cares about heath ledger. and lets face it, thats the only reason anyone really liked that movie. sympathy votes.

I dont think slumdog deserves best movie, because while it was everything a film should be and more, it was more an enjoyable experience than anything really magical or enthralling. having said that, i still hope it wins because it would cast a bit of light on the fact that good movies dont have to come out of the west.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
im seeing it tomorrow! i must go watch wall e now to see what all the fuss it about.

ballin

Banned
HSC
i meant where and in what context the scenes were filmed, dumbass.

Takuto

HSC
lol slumdog WAS pretty good.

but id have to go with gran torino being much better hhahA, enjoyed it alot more. =]

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Didn't like wall-e.

Idk what the best movie of 2008 is, a few good ones to choose from.

I really enjoyed taken, i know lots of people said it was shit, but i liked it:wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)