Bible verses often ignored by Christians (1 Viewer)

davin

HSC
N/A
erin_tonkin said:
the da vinci code was written AS fiction that was its purpose. it was not meant to be taken as entire fact.

the bible however was written as fact. A recording of events. Not fiction
so obviously then any innaccuracies will cause a problem with it, if it was written as fact

davin

HSC
N/A
well, you seem to have an attitude that the entire book is fact, except where its not true, in which case its being taken too literally

Patchy

HSC
Salima said:
Even women in islam have more rights! Wow! I knew christian women were opppressed but not that much. To be silent is crap. You're supposed to ask religious teachers questions, expecially in a mosque, that is the best place ot seek knowledge, becuase all the information should be there with you, hte books and the religious imam, teacher, knowledgable one.
Christianity: The Best Thing That Ever Happened to Women:
http://www.probe.org/content/view/1264/169/

I prefer to base my thoughts about a religion on it's teachings rather than on what it's followers do.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
erin_tonkin said:
the da vinci code was written AS fiction that was its purpose. it was not meant to be taken as entire fact.

the bible however was written as fact. A recording of events. Not fiction
The qu'ran was also written as fact.

Salima

HSC
withoutaface said:
The qu'ran was also written as fact.
I take this as sarcasm. Though I do believe this. You may not, that's your thing. But The Qur'an is all the text before them, restated. You know like how all the others were corrupted (in my belief) and so it was all retold, to Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) in it's uncorrupted pure form, and in a way that it could not be altered, perfect high arabic poetry. Qur'anic arabic is ancient higher arabic unlike ever before, hence it unable to be altered.

davin

HSC
N/A
that wasn't sarcasm, i don't think....just that both the bible and the quran were written with the intent to be fact, so you can't defend one simply by "well, it was written as fact" because by that logic, you have to accept both, and that creates a problem

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes, that is exactly the way I read it. Though you could read it as sarcasm, it was not used in that way. It was used for a much stronger purpose.

Salima

HSC
davin said:
that wasn't sarcasm, i don't think....just that both the bible and the quran were written with the intent to be fact, so you can't defend one simply by "well, it was written as fact" because by that logic, you have to accept both, and that creates a problem
What is this? Are you saying I have to accept both...if so you're way out of line...like I said bible is in qur'an, but in uncorrupted form I mean. (that's muslim beliefs). Sorry if I received what you said incorrectly. Sometimes I can be quick to judge, and right the wrong thing.

Salima

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Yes, that is exactly the way I read it. Though you could read it as sarcasm, it was not used in that way. It was used for a much stronger purpose.
What would you call it then....hmmmmmmm?????? *ticking clock music*

davin

HSC
N/A
ok, as this is obviously confusing for you....
someone said that the difference between da vinci code and bible was that one was intended as work of fiction, whereas the bible was written to be fact. however, intents alone do not justify a work, as the qur'an was written as fact too. If the defense for either of those texts is "well, it was written to be fact" then, if thats the whole reason for their validity, you must then accept them both as accurate. the problem here is that they are then contradictory.

Salima

HSC
Okay the da vinci thing! Yeh I saw that post, but didn't realise you were referencing to that also! I get it, thank you for not being liek a dick about my morning lag. I've got coffee now though, I'm hoping my brain picks up a bit.

I understand what you're saying. It is true what you do say. All should be taken as fact or none as fact if it all based upon the intention of them being fact when they were written. So what do you think if this is the case? Do you think none or all are fact? I would sit onthe fence for this one.

When does the movie The Da Vinci Code come out? Sometime this year for sure but I'm not sure when!

davin

HSC
N/A
personally, i see them both on par with, say, greek mythology.

written to give a basis for establishing laws or explaining things that people wanted to hear explained.

Pubert

HSC
I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but i just wanted to clarify Islams position on the bible. I do not intend to offend any Christians just wanted to explain Islams point of view.

We believe that the Bible and Torah have been changed over time and we can't deny nor accept anything written in the Bible and Torah unless it absolutely contradicts the Quran in which case we know that section to have been changed.

The Prophet (Peace be upon him) said:

"Neither trust (the narrations of) the People of the Book nor belie them; but say: 'We believe in what has been sent down to us, what has been sent down to you, Our God and yours is only One, and we are Muslims" (Al-Bukhari).

In this case the 'People of the Book' are Christians and the Jews. Muslims also believe that God sent the Zabur (Psalms) down to Dawud (David).

And in the Quran it says:

"And to Dawud We gave the Zabur." (4:163)

Last edited:

erin_tonkin

HSC
that is exactly the argument people give against the bible!
We believe that the Bible and Torah have been changed over time and we can't deny nor accept anything written in the Bible and Torah unless it absolutely contradicts the Quran in which case we know that section to have been changed.

If it doesnt agree with your idea then its wrong. and thats how you come to tterms with the things you dont understand.

Can I ask what muslims think about Jesus?

Pubert

HSC
We believe that he is a Prophet from God and not his son, and we believe that he wasn't killed but rather taken up to heaven before that.

In the Quran it says:

"He begets not nor was He begotten." Surah 113, verse 3.

Pubert

HSC
erin_tonkin said:
If it doesnt agree with your idea then its wrong. and thats how you come to tterms with the things you dont understand.
Just because we don't agree with your beliefs it doesen't mean you accuse us of not understanding.

I hope this doesen't turn into an arguement. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)