Biology or Economics? (1 Viewer)

esiotrot

HSC
Currently my subjects are:

3u maths, 3u english, chemistry, physics and biology.

What are the differences and all that jazz between biology and economics? Pros and cons?

Examine

same
HSC
Would you rather do the asian combo or the curry combo?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You're in Yr 11 right?

Well it depends on the person, which they'd do better at etc. Things to consider:
BIOLOGY
Pro is that you do the two other sciences, so pracs should be cakewalks for you
I assume you like science to do three
Con is that 3 sciences might be an overkill unless you really love science
And if you'd perform similarly in the two, it scales not as well as eco
ECONOMICS
Pro is that it'd break up your maths/sciences
You are doing ee1, so I'd assume you'd tackle the subject well
Neutral point: I'd say it's more content heavy than bio, a good or bad thing depending on your memory
Negatives you may be more a math/science person
Eco is content and content-can become dry as it's not broken up with pracs etc. like other subjects

They are both good subjects, and even though I dropped eco, I didn't have anything against the subject. It's a good subject but I like bio more. But I was trying to be a little impartial for you, and I trust you'd do well with either set.

Alkanes

HSC
Choose Eco. I deeply regret picking bio instead of eco and now i'm stuck with it for my HSC.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Would you rather do the asian combo or the curry combo?
What's the curry combo?

It comes down to what you enjoy more. I never did Bio, but I have an interest in all types of science. HSC Economics was an educational course; it allowed me to gain an understanding of Australia's economics issues.

jnney

lemon
HSC
What's the curry combo?

It comes down to what you enjoy more. I never did Bio, but I have an interest in all types of science. HSC Economics was an educational course; it allowed me to gain an understanding of Australia's economics issues.
all science, 3u math + eng

i did the all science combo in year 11. it's just a personal preference. see how it goes for the first few weeks with biology.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm...I thought the Asian/Curry 5 was only for the HSC.
4U Math/Eng. Advanced/Phys/Chem
Replace Phys/Chem with Eco, if desired.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Really just comes down to what you'd prefer to do.

uirate

HSC
pick economics, looks really interesting.. i regret not picking it for my hsc last year. biology is good, but if you get stuck with a shit teacher you are fucked. (assuming economics can be self taught with as much ease as legal studies)

Dylanamali

HSC
Bio > Eco.

from what it seems its easier to get higher in Bio then in Eco.. I think Bio aligns better,

Eco: 90 -> 93
Bio: 90 -> 96

Dylanamali

HSC
pick economics, looks really interesting.. i regret not picking it for my hsc last year. biology is good, but if you get stuck with a shit teacher you are fucked. (assuming economics can be self taught with as much ease as legal studies)
IMO, biology is just as easy to self-teach.. it's purely content driven - by far the easiest science, as it doesn't require calculations, a true in-depth knowledge of concepts etc. Questions are very straight forward and the only questions that can trip people are up are the long responses which can be developed over time.

animeiswild

HSC
That depends on what you find more interesting. I like both but would probably go with bio if I had to choose between the two because I hate essay writing. Eco is also a lot harder than bio. You can just memorise info for bio but for eco you really need to understand what's happening. Bad thing about eco is that you also need to be regularly up to date with some statistics which sucks for me cause I never watch the news on TV.

It's also hard to self teach yourself eco.

esiotrot

HSC
So is economics learning things and applying it to the real world and biology memorizing stuff and doing practical experiments?

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
Consider what you want to do at uni. If you want to do a health science I definitely recommend Biology!!

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
I do geography, which used to be my favourite, but now I love science more. I do biology and chemistry; both of which I love. Biology is content heavy, but you can achieve awesome results if you know it all. I like it because the unit outcomes are so clear, so if you study all of them, you can do amazingly. It really comes down to whether you want to maintain a social science (with essay writing etc) or a science (biology is all about the content). I do, however, like having a social science - helps with english.

animeiswild

HSC
So is economics learning things and applying it to the real world and biology memorizing stuff and doing practical experiments?
Yeah, you need to understand the concepts involved so that you can apply it to the situations they give you. Biology questions are mostly straight forward, you just have to learn to answer questions the way teachers like it. Practical experiments aren't very frequent in bio either, you'll probably only do one prac assessment task in HSC and it's quite easy. I remember my first prelim prac task was recording the time it took for a paper leaf to dry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)