BOS has no idea... (1 Viewer)

sophielee169

HSC
Ok I don't want to come across as a callous dickhead, but I'm sorry, if you're supposed to study it that way, choose not to study every poem/speech as they specified this is hardly the BoS fault and entirely that of the student.
or that of the teacher who didnt go through it, and told us we only needed 2-3? or that even of the hsc markers who initially said the same thing? as a student, i did what i was told by my teachers and by the hsc markers..

themanman

HSC
N/A
all those saying the english exam was shit (like me) are saying it because the questions both in paper one and paper two were completly different to what they had studied for and they were so specific, like speeches. Any one saying that the exam wasn't too bad/ good or whatever, thats probably because you guys got lucky and the questions were exactly what you had prepared for like in module b with hamlet, speeches etc
english exams do test our skills, but i think the whole exam is based on someones luck not their ability. if the exam fits what they studied for obv they'll do better than someone who is much smarter but the exam has no relevance to what they did. the english exam structure needs to be changed.
is this guy serz?

Chahoud

HSC
Well I'm pretty screwed, I'd be happy with a 70 in fregin English.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
i didnt have a prepared essay. 1. i did what i was told and taught to do by not only teachers, but hsc markers giving seminars, which was learn 2-3 of the speeches in depth.. 2. it is near impossible to learn all eight that have no link throughout them all what so ever.. having disconnected speeches doesnt really allow you to learn it wholeistically. i wasnt relying on luck.. and in the end i did adapt my information to the question, i jsut didnt have the knowledge to the question as best i could, but yes i do believe people doing speeches and poems and essays that arent a whole text had a massive disadvantage
1. Ok this was obviously their fault, but not that of the BoS, so there's no reason to criticise the exams, there's a reason to criticise your teachers.
2. I don't pretend to know all the speeches, but finding a few techniques etc. (you never need to memorise a whole text, just important quotes) for 8 10 page speeches is not "near impossible" it requires a lot of work, but its not a unique disadvantage compared to all the texts. I acknowledge each has a separate theme, but each speech only has 1 theme, texts such as Hamlet, whilst having a connected storyline explore a vast array of themes, any of which a student can be questioned on. As I said before I don't see how speeches were uniquely disadvantaged in this regard.

Duha_H

HSC
gosh module A????????????

ho do you relate much of it to your prescribed text:pygmalion??
shittest thing

WaelOmar94

HSC
I wanted to ask, what do you mean about a band 6 cut off of 74? So if you get a mark of 74 and above, is that considered a band 6?

enoilgam

HSC
I wanted to ask, what do you mean about a band 6 cut off of 74? So if you get a mark of 74 and above, is that considered a band 6?
Yes, but themanman was just guessing. Cutoffs are determined by a commitee of markers after the exams have been marked.

enoilgam

HSC
So this guys full of shit? bloody got my hopes up -.-
The marks are aligned, by how much depends. Last year a raw mark of 84.5/100 aligned to a 93/100 in advanced. So from that, around 79ish would have been the cutoff for a band 6 last year.

jmel93

HSC
I'll 3rd that, some of the smartest people with the best expression in my year do shit at English, because it doesn't test how well someone can argue, spell, or express themselves. The people who do well are artfags who just waffle on using flowery language and other smalltalk. I get more marks deducted in legal for spelling and grammar issues than for English. The only reason why we're forced to butcher these texts is because fanatics wanted to impose their interests on us. By year 12 correct grammar and spelling should be commonplace, so I think any course with some standard of writing involved should be compulsory. Moreover, the BOS blatantly promotes prepared essays by nature of the tests being so pressed for time. The whole structure of the course made it an obsolete subject.

Awkward_Ninja

HSC
Blade Runner and Frankenstein question was everything i prepared for that year, so i think i may have a 17+ coming my way.
I screwed up my Orwell essay, so that might bring me down.
Julius Caesar was better than expected. Lucky i prepared for it the night and morning before. I can smell a 15+ there.
How'd everyone else go?

HSC
Uni Grad
Blade Runner and Frankenstein question was everything i prepared for that year, so i think i may have a 17+ coming my way.
I screwed up my Orwell essay, so that might bring me down.
Julius Caesar was better than expected. Lucky i prepared for it the night and morning before. I can smell a 15+ there.
How'd everyone else go?
Memorizing my essay for julius caesar was great, I moulded my essay perfectly. for module A, I had to alter it a little bit, added more context. module B was a bit fucked but I did okay in it.

Awkward_Ninja

HSC
I went to my english tutor the night before begging for help for caesar. She delivered. And she told me to do my caesar essay first, which i did.
I'm so glad Thank You For Smoking was a decent ORT that i could draw conflicts from.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)