BOS Showcase: 2007 Major Works (2 Viewers)

lm4eb

HSC
daniel592 said:
[Okay, well, I’ve read through yours just then. I think it’s fairly well written, the style is engaging for the most part – sometimes it felt a bit disperse and perhaps even lost. But as I said..on the whole it’s well written. The fragmentation was at times jarring and awkward for me, like there were times when it worked well and that was great, but just a few times where it felt forced and almost contrived – it didn’t achieve your purpose (maybe it does…RS). Before I say anymore, I’d like to read your RS though…so please chuck that up there sometime and let me know. You’ve got some really good sections in there, I’m just saying that at times I didn’t feel ‘engaged’ such as Lux’s letter, just simply because I don’t think that’s how the letter would’ve been written – I didn’t find the voice genuine enough, it’s an important part, I just don’t think she’d write a letter like that..ah well…that’s just me. And not because I’m a guy, it was the blunt and not subtle at all bit about I rescued you from the darkness of your uncle, my name is light..i dunno, not my thing.

But yeah, you should be happy with your MW – you write well. After I’ve read your RS I’ll let you know what else I thought (I wanna know how you wanted to use Carroll and such).

It’s not really a style I’d read normally, I also can’t remember Alice in Wonderland from my youth…so maybe I’m not the best person to be commenting on it. It’s pretty personal yeah? Cause I think some of the insights are really good, like the relationship between cassie (you?) and lux is well developed in the story and it’s intriguing

What are you aiming for with it? What have others said (both where you’re heading marks wise and just generally)?

But yeah, you write well.
daniel592- hey, thanks for your honest opinion. i agree with you thoughts on lux's letter...i just couldnt be bothered to make it better during my final editing coz i was so over the whole thing haha

i used Carroll a lot because i thought the 'Alice' themes related well to the child/naive innocence in Cassie...thats all explained in the reflection statement (if i work out how to upload it...)

cassie is definetely not 'me' in anyway haha just a character made up in my head

as for what marks im aiming for, i guess just the best i can do or what marks justify the work!

http://www.mediafire.com/?7jjkyzxyjnp

Last edited:

.gaj.

HSC
Alright first multimedia peice up here for show.
I did a website called "Reality-Check" and it was an analytical look at modern science fiction video games.
Ive uploaded everything (website, flashplayer, reflection statement) in a handy little zip/rar file for people to download and view (requires winrar, package size is ~20mb)
Enjoy! id love to hear feedback.

Download the deal here: http://www.mediafire.com/?8mzjxmx0h8l

Last edited:

kewlu

Banned
HSC
.gaj. said:
I did a website called "Reality-Check" and it was an analytical look at modern science fiction video games.
Ive uploaded everything (website, flashplayer, reflection statement) in a handy little zip/rar file for people to download and view (requires winrar, package size is ~20mb)

Wow. I never expected to see a website.

arwin90

HSC
Princy i thought urs was actualy about ants!!

Silly me. but i'm thinking that because in my story i'm writing about ants as a metaphor for human society. When i read ur title i thought dammit, someone else is doing the exact same thing!

I'm on the first couple of pages and reading pretty interesting so far. The experimental form is effective

kewlu

Banned
HSC
.gaj. said:

Wow. Simply wow.

From a web design standpoint, i love your site. I had a quick flick through and it looks amazing. Did you use a Flash template? Or was it all original work in flash? It is probably the best designed website by anyone our age that I have seen in a long time.

From an English standpoint, I haven't had a chance to look at it in any detail, but I love your choice of subject matter and the format in which you did it. I'll have a proper read when I don't have a software exam in 12 hours.

.gaj.

HSC
You have no idea how re-assuring those words are mate! i was so scared cause id never seen a website done and neither had my teacher so i was in blind waters.

The Flash was all done by me, including all the coding and stuff behind it, no templates at all. It actually wasnt as sophisticated as i wouldve liked but it was cobbled together in a timeframe of less then a week (stupid of me, i know) Cheers for those words,

Ps: If your SDD paper is the same as mine, its a peice of cake mate. Walked out at exactly 1hr and 30min through the test. Thats how easy it was.

kewlu

Banned
HSC
.gaj. said:
You have no idea how re-assuring those words are mate! i was so scared cause id never seen a website done and neither had my teacher so i was in blind waters.

The Flash was all done by me, including all the coding and stuff behind it, no templates at all. It actually wasnt as sophisticated as i wouldve liked but it was cobbled together in a timeframe of less then a week (stupid of me, i know) Cheers for those words,

Ps: If your SDD paper is the same as mine, its a peice of cake mate. Walked out at exactly 1hr and 30min through the test. Thats how easy it was.
Hahahahaha. Well our class plays a lot of games, and I find it very hard to not get distracted. Hence, I don't know a whole chapter.

And wow @ your timeframe. Well done.

greycats

Mister Monday
HSC
Is your signature some kind of insinuation that communism is good kewlu?

Oh and, yeah that website is great (Y)

daniel592

HSC
Ah k, cool cool, sounds good. If you ever look at mine, say some thoughts, but yeah, it's all good if you don't.

princy

HSC
arwin90 said:
Princy i thought urs was actualy about ants!!

Silly me. but i'm thinking that because in my story i'm writing about ants as a metaphor for human society. When i read ur title i thought dammit, someone else is doing the exact same thing!

I'm on the first couple of pages and reading pretty interesting so far. The experimental form is effective
I had that slight moment of panic as well, I am glad I am not the only one, heehee. I think I read the first few pages of yours and made a note to go back to it later. Let me know what you think about mine, and I will do the same for you :)

kewlu

Banned
HSC
greycats said:
Is your signature some kind of insinuation that communism is good kewlu?

Oh and, yeah that website is great (Y)
No, it's more of a laugh at the effectiveness of propaganda and its implementation in society.

Dave2007

HSC
I have a McAwesome radio drama I'd love to share with you all as my 4u eng major work.

That is, if someone can say how I can put 5 .mp3 tracks (one track for each act of the radio drama) into one nice online file for easy listening?

kewlu

Banned
HSC
Dave2007 said:
I have a McAwesome radio drama I'd love to share with you all as my 4u eng major work.

That is, if someone can say how I can put 5 .mp3 tracks (one track for each act of the radio drama) into one nice online file for easy listening?
Zip it or RAR it and upload the file to Mediafire.

123erykb said:
Any chance anyone can spare some time to have a look at my film, any feedback would be great, thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YVa8dQiOOg
You don't need to post it twice. We all know it's there. :)

Last edited:

himmy6996

HSC
Do u kids go to the same school??

I reckon the hardest bit about all this is that, looking at this thread which is a small sample of everything out there... there is a massive variance and an RS isnt enough to justify all the experimentation... ill find it hard to let go of my MW if i get a shit mark for it...

has anyone seen any Showcase stuff on here they wanna nom?

personally i reckon dan 592's "Expectations from a Distance" is pretty amazing.. maybe im jus into the style but I think its brilliantly written - I suggest people take a look see if they think its as good as i do.

Rowman

CCCP
HSC
Wow, in comparison to others, mine really sucks :(.

Have fun reading, all comments appreciated.

daniel592

HSC
himmy6996 said:
Do u kids go to the same school??

I reckon the hardest bit about all this is that, looking at this thread which is a small sample of everything out there... there is a massive variance and an RS isnt enough to justify all the experimentation... ill find it hard to let go of my MW if i get a shit mark for it...

has anyone seen any Showcase stuff on here they wanna nom?

personally i reckon dan 592's "Expectations from a Distance" is pretty amazing.. maybe im jus into the style but I think its brilliantly written - I suggest people take a look see if they think its as good as i do.
Oh thanks heaps mate. I actually read yours first and nominated it, and i still maintain that it stands out for me among not just the ones here but also others i've read - it is the best CR for its originality in content and form. I appreciate the others, dont get me wrong, but I'm just saying that yours is still the one i'm kinda expecting/hoping that it gets in (if not showcase then the top 10 list...which is perhaps better than showcase).

I doubt others will actually even comment on mine, or even yours, here. I haven't seen any proper or well thought out comments. What's the point of saying 'yeah im reading it now it's good'. Do you know what i mean? Like they probably only read the first page and the last..

But thanks for reading mine, it's quite a huge compliment.

Ah well, hopefully people do have a better look at the MWs on here (if you wanna read a CR or a MW really - read 'Art of Communication')

arwin90

HSC
princy said:
I had that slight moment of panic as well, I am glad I am not the only one, heehee. I think I read the first few pages of yours and made a note to go back to it later. Let me know what you think about mine, and I will do the same for you :)
Hey princy sorry didnt get back for so long, I wantd to give it a proper read before commentng on it :)

I enjoyed reading teh story. The good things first: very strong characterisation. She's definitely not the kind of person you meet everyday but she's very "real", if you know what i mean, because she is very consistent in the way you have constructed her. You seem to have a solid grasp of the details of how a person wtih obsessive compulsive disorder behaves/thinks etc. I think the characterisation is what makes your story, becaue she's not an easy person to think up and you've done that well.

The language style has its strengths but i didnt think it was as good as the characterisation. I loved the little recurring motifs like the perfect white dress and the peeling crayon red paint, that was cool. But there were a couple of little things that just didnt work for me, like when you wrote "the bus was never on time. It was either a few moments early or late." the second sentence just seems unnecessary. But hey, these sentences achieve their job of conveying her obsessive personality which i'm guessing was what u were trying to do.

Have you read Genevieve Quek's work in the 04 Showcase? Yours is somewhat very similar to hers both in concept and in form. (oh i just read that sentence in your RS haha) I dont know about this, as someone else in this thread had mentioned about derivative works. But you did justify it soundly by referring to Wolfe and that other person, so hopefully they wouldnt care.

The experimentation with the form is definitely very effective and another one of your story's strengths, so i guess that alone should justify the fact that you followed Quek's writing. the switches between narrative voices is engaging. I LOVED the pictures, and you didnt just chuck them in randomly either. Although the house was supposed to have red paint on it? It's kinda weird that its black and white lol

On the whole, as I said, the strength of your characterisation alone I think drowns out everything else, so it leaves a good overall impression. Well done :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)