BOS Showcase: 2009 Major Works (1 Viewer)

Clifford

HSC
Thanks Rae, and I did read it, and I'm pushing that platonic love tomorrow... watch out.

on topic... narrative voice?

catherinet

HSC
Clifford, i just read your story and i thoroughly enjoyed it!, very interestng and well written :)

I'm still making my way through the MW's ... next wil be alex.leon's poems, i've skimmed them, but i really want to do them justice! :D

Well done everyone!

Dabutla

HSC
Re: I'm Cheating

Hilarity: a great amount of happiness, usually accompanied by laughter

ixswans

HSC
Okay, here goes...
Just glancing over it again makes me want to die, so please, do what you will with it (burn it, bite it, drown it... be creative)

Ohh, also, the spacing and punctuation may be a little off, because i printed it in fragments and i can't find the final copy on my computer, so this is like the 10000099999999th draft -- may be some mini mistakes/typos.

It's a suite of POEMS, exploring the lives of contempory women.
TITLE: The Seven Ages of Women (derived from Shakespeare's poem 'The Seven Ages of Man')
LOVE.

The innocence in the beginning is heartbreaking.. there's no other word for it.

Very well done :)

Just a Q to everyone who did poetry (I wanted to do it in the beginning), did you put techniques in deliberately and adhere to a meter, or did you just create your MW in free verse?

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
LOVE.

Just a Q to everyone who did poetry (I wanted to do it in the beginning), did you put techniques in deliberately and adhere to a meter, or did you just create your MW in free verse?

I wrote entirely in free verse, and techniques kind of 'came' to me.

That sounds like i'm a wanky artist, eh.

ixswans

HSC
In creative pursuits you can never be right or wrong, wanky or modest.. I love English :)

I was just asking because we're doing Atwood's speech in our Critical Study Module and she mentions the whole writing process and how techniques are very much intended, and I related with that for the most part of my story.

Ah, I so wish I did poetry. It comes to me more naturally, but I was scared of the epic-ness of the ones I had read.

catherinet

HSC
LOVE.

oh wow, thankyou so so so much :)

For me, the techniques tended to arise from the poem's content, hence the textual integrity.
For example, some poems are written in free verse and are very disjointed, in order to create a symbiosis between the content of the poem and the way in which it is written. Whereas, in other poems, the meter/rhyme scheme/structure is integral to the communication of its message.

... if that makes any sense at all lol

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC

blue dingo

HSC
That was heaps good!
Unfortunately, you've posted it in the wrong place.

Still pretty mad though!!
OOHHH SORRY!:speechless:

i thought this thread was for showing any major projects! my bad, guess i should of read the topic post :tongue:

catherinet

HSC
Alrighty everyone, I've just come back from an 18th and am still a little tipsy (composing this sentence is an effort), but will post my major work tonight, as I really want/need some reassurance in feedback.

Title: 'quick fix, cheap thrill'
Medium: Poetry

Hope everyone likes it :) Will read all of yours tomorrow morning and post my response. Can't wait to see marcquelle's in particular...upload it on a myspace music account or something! Or PM me...really want to heat it in its entirety.

PS- I know it seems a massive effort to try and understand the poetry, but I've tried to make it as accessible to a general audience as possible, by contemplating popular culture. Just have a read, you might be surprised!

EDIT: Not even the final version of RS...oops.
Omg, Alex, i'm so sorry that it took me so long to comment!, my laptop has been a bitch and not letting me open attatchments!

Really, all i can say is WOW.
But since i am notorious for going over word limits, i can't stop there....

All of your concepts are extremely unique, not a single cliche in sight!!

My absolute favourite would have to be "Polly read a "Dolly" now she's sick, sick, sick" :)
- Funny, wonderfully written and honest!, LOVED it!

I also loved the final stanza of "you can't eat endorphins", verrrrry clever!

Overall, i found the poems quite straight forward, which is personally what i like to read, and concequently, how i also write :).. In saying that, i have found that your poems encompass both exoteric meaning that can be percieved as 'literal', but also esoteric meaning that arises from reading more deeply into the poems. It was easy to read and become emersed in, since it was not written in a complex manner, either through topography or content.

All in all, well done!
From what i've seen, i'm pretty sure that you will get into Showcase... you really deserve it!

Anyway, major belated congrads on a very well written, unique composition.
:D

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Omg, Alex, i'm so sorry that it took me so long to comment!, my laptop has been a bitch and not letting me open attatchments!

Really, all i can say is WOW.
But since i am notorious for going over word limits, i can't stop there....

All of your concepts are extremely unique, not a single cliche in sight!!

My absolute favourite would have to be "Polly read a "Dolly" now she's sick, sick, sick" :)
- Funny, wonderfully written and honest!, LOVED it!

I also loved the final stanza of "you can't eat endorphins", verrrrry clever!

Overall, i found the poems quite straight forward, which is personally what i like to read, and concequently, how i also write :).. In saying that, i have found that your poems encompass both exoteric meaning that can be percieved as 'literal', but also esoteric meaning that arises from reading more deeply into the poems. It was easy to read and become emersed in, since it was not written in a complex manner, either through topography or content.

All in all, well done!
From what i've seen, i'm pretty sure that you will get into Showcase... you really deserve it!

Anyway, major belated congrads on a very well written, unique composition.
:D
WOW!

Thanks, Catherine. You know that I really highly regard your feedback, being a fellow poet whose work I highly admire :)

Thanks for the awesome feedback, I'm really, truly stoked!

Clifford

HSC
Stanzas on the death of the bos showcase thread:

The theme grows sadder — but my soul shall find
A language in those tears! No more — no more!
Soon, 'midst the shriekings of the tossing wind,
The "dark blue depths" he posted of, shall have bore
Our all of bos to his native shore!
His grave is thick with typed voices — to the ear
Murm'ring an awful tale of greatness o'er;
But Memory strives with Death, and lingering near,
Shall consecrate the dust of Harold's lonely bier!

God I'm such a wanker. And very, very sad.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Stanzas on the death of the bos showcase thread:

The theme grows sadder — but my soul shall find
A language in those tears! No more — no more!
Soon, 'midst the shriekings of the tossing wind,
The "dark blue depths" he posted of, shall have bore
Our all of bos to his native shore!
His grave is thick with typed voices — to the ear
Murm'ring an awful tale of greatness o'er;
But Memory strives with Death, and lingering near,
Shall consecrate the dust of Harold's lonely bier!

God I'm such a wanker. And very, very sad.

HAHAHA. HAHAHAHA.

How long did that take?

Clifford

HSC
wow, uber flattering, I didn't write that! It's Browning, god! haha, to think! You must have thought I was the most skilled time-waster in the history of the world...
and totally incomprehensible, because aside from being about death, the poem as nothing to do with bos.

Clifford

HSC
Just read the poem again, and I retract the former comment. It's actually kind of fitting...

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
wow, uber flattering, I didn't write that! It's Browning, god! haha, to think! You must have thought I was the most skilled time-waster in the history of the world...
and totally incomprehensible, because aside from being about death, the poem as nothing to do with bos.
I seriously thought you sat there for 1-2 hours, writing away, trying to write something about bos.

Yeah, thought it was a bit weird...!

God, I'm such a literary n00b. You and Zeppelin are the biggest literature nerds :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)