Boston Marathon Explosions (1 Viewer)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Whether the attacker(s) are muslims or Mormons or whatever etc, they must get the death penalty.

Tasteless

HSC
You don't think terrorists who kill westerners on western soil don't deserve to die? They do in my opinion.
Given that no terrorist organisations have claimed responsibility, it's most probably a home growner you realise?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You don't think terrorists who kill westerners on western soil don't deserve to die? They do in my opinion.
Yeah but you are an extremist nutter so.....

(PS so I guess terrorists who kill easterners on eastern ground are okay to live? Oh wait, those are westerners not terrorists)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Your killing someone for killing someone, isn't that a contradiction." If you are saying killing is wrong, then why are you killing? It makes no sense, you are sending a wrong message to society.

It is kind of like killing someone for revenge....

Though saying that, everyone has their own moral standards.

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
What an incredibly immature opinion.
Not really. I believe deliberately and thoughtfully taking another human's life is wrong, with some limited exceptions for people, but none for the state. How is that "immature"?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I also find it odd that the people who complain most about the incompetence of government are often the first ones to trust it enough to decide whether a person has committed a crime beyond all doubt and decide on the basis of that whether a human being should live or die. So let them do that but god forbid they try and run a public transport system.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Given that no terrorist organisations have claimed responsibility, it's most probably a home growner you realise?
There can be homegrown terrorists. They don't have to have recently came from the middle east etc.

Yeah but you are an extremist nutter so.....

(PS so I guess terrorists who kill easterners on eastern ground are okay to live? Oh wait, those are westerners not terrorists)
I'm not an extremist nutter, not sure where you pull that from?

Your killing someone for killing someone, isn't that a contradiction." If you are saying killing is wrong, then why are you killing? It makes no sense, you are sending a wrong message to society.

It is kind of like killing someone for revenge....

Though saying that, everyone has their own moral standards.
Some crimes deserve the perpetrator be removed from society. Why should we pay to jail them forever?

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Some crimes deserve the perpetrator be removed from society. Why should we pay to jail them forever?
Because studies have shown its cheaper than executing them (unless you don't care about due process$

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Because studies have shown its cheaper than executing them (unless you don't care about due process$
How is it cheaper? It costs (us, the taxpayers) more than 100k to house each prisoner per year.

Executing a long term prisoner convicted of horrific crimes would cost less than 100k (a one off cost) and stop the ongoing costs for the taxpayers.

Legal costs (of prosecution, appeals etc) would remain the same.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
How is it cheaper? It costs (us, the taxpayers) more than 100k to house each prisoner per year.

Executing a long term prisoner convicted of horrific crimes would cost less than 100k (a one off cost) and stop the ongoing costs for the taxpayers.

Legal costs (of prosecution, appeals etc) would remain the same.
Wrong. The costs of keeping somebody on death row mean that their prison costs are infinitely higher. They will remain on death row for years because of the number of appeals required which cost more to do and take time (again, in California, it takes about 25 years between arrest and execution).

A prisoner in a standard prison for 20 years costs about $2 million. The average cost of executing a prisoner in California is $300 million.

A simple google search will turn up any number of studies saying the same.

There are plenty of valid arguments for the death penalty, cost is not one of them (unless you just want to execute people summarily)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Wrong. The costs of keeping somebody on death row mean that their prison costs are infinitely higher. They will remain on death row for years because of the number of appeals required which cost more to do and take time (again, in California, it takes about 25 years between arrest and execution).

A prisoner in a standard prison for 20 years costs about $2 million. The average cost of executing a prisoner in California is $300 million.
I really can't see why it should be that inefficient. You should get one appeal and that is it. Just because it is poorly run in some places doesn't mean it shouldn't occur.

When the US swat teams go and arrest the Boston bomber(s) they should be loose with their triggers.

Tasteless

HSC
I really can't see why it should be that inefficient. You should get one appeal and that is it. Just because it is poorly run in some places doesn't mean it shouldn't occur.

When the US swat teams go and arrest the Boston bomber(s) they should be loose with their triggers.
Cos there's totally no chance at all they might end up killing the wrong people.

iBibah

HSC

It's a little different to call of duty, you can't just restart the mission if you kill the wrong people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)