Breaking News: Schappelle Corby found guilty! (5 Viewers)

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
yenta said:
Yes exactly so I think it's silly of people to claim she's for sure innocent/guilty
I believe she is, but like I said no one knows the truth only she does, though regardless of whether she is innocent or not her sentence is ridiculous.....
Once again she is not a terroist and she gets ten times the sentence of a terrorist mastermind????

HSC

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
OZGIRL86 said:
I believe she is, but like I said no one knows the truth only she does, though regardless of whether she is innocent or not her sentence is ridiculous.....
Once again she is not a terroist and she gets ten times the sentence of a terrorist mastermind????
Unfortunately there were loopholes in the system when he was trialed, also there wasnt enough conclusive proof, and it could have lead to civil war if he was killed

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
OZGIRL86 said:
Yeah exactly...guilty or not her sentence is bullshit. I don't understand how the Indonesians think having 4kg of pot deserves 20 yrs in jail...or more. But that's them I guess, they're different to us so meh

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The Australia said:
Much of the prosecution's case turns on the arrest of Corby at Ngurah Rai airport. She arrived in Bali in the afternoon of October 8 with her brother, 17-year-old James Kisina, and two friends: Alyth McComb, 25, and Katrina Richards, 17. According to the official indictment, a Customs official saw "forbidden goods" in the bag after it was unloaded from the plane and put through an external X-ray machine.

"Because he was suspicious, the official followed the bag to the baggage claim area and kept watch to determine who owned the bodyboard bag," the indictment says. Corby retrieved the bag and the official maintained his surveillance of her, noting she looked anxious, the indictment continues.

Customs official I Gusti Nyoman Winata told Denpasar District Court that he asked Corby to open the blue bag, but she unzipped only a front pocket. He opened the main zip himself, he said. "When I opened it a bit, she said: 'No,"' Winata said. "I asked: 'Why?', and she said: 'I have some,' and looked confused."

Winata also said she blocked his hand to stop him opening the main zip. Finally the bag was opened, and officials saw a pillow-case sized clear plastic zip-lock bag filled with 4.1kg of marijuana heads.

Winata said Corby identified it as marijuana. "I asked the suspect what was in the plastic bags. She said it was marijuana. I asked her, 'How do you know?' She said, 'I smelled it when you opened the bag."'

Yet casting some doubt on whether the English conversations were fully understood, a second Customs officer, Komang Gelgel, said Corby had told Winata she owned the marijuana, an unlikely admission. "She said, 'This is mine, I own it,"' Gelgel said, a claim Corby vehemently denied.

Gelgel and two police officers largely agreed with Winata's version of events, including Corby's attempt to prevent him opening the main zip. It was damning testimony from four Indonesian civil servants, all apparently objective witnesses.

Corby flatly denied she had tried to avoid opening the main zip of the bodyboard bag. "Well, firstly he didn't ask me to open the bag, he just asked whose bag it was," she told the court. "I opened the bag and I don't remember saying anything or hitting anyone's hand. I opened the bag and then I closed it."

Corby says she voluntarily opened the bag because she thought it was expected of her. She told the court she didn't know what was in the bag, even after the zip was opened. "I was scared, I didn't know what it was," she said. "Then when I closed my boogie board bag up, a strong smell came out. I was very scared, I didn't know what was going on."

Corby didn't deny she identified the substance as marijuana but she said flatly she had never claimed it as hers. She was not looking restless or suspicious, she said; she had been happy about her Bali holiday until grim reality struck.

"I open it, I lift it up and I'm surprised, there's a plastic bag and half-open, and I'm like 'Ohhh!' And I close it up, I can smell it," she told the court. "I never, at any stage, stated that that marijuana belongs to me; never, ever, have I stated that."

In their last statement to the court, Corby's lawyers averred she had said, in a startled fashion, "There is something" rather than "I have some" to Winata, the first time this version of events was related. The lawyers said Winata's ability to speak fluent English was in doubt. Corby's brother and her friends supported her testimony.

Corby also denied one of the police officer's claims that her flippers were found on top of the pillow-case sized plastic sack of marijuana. "There is no way that the flippers can be on top of the plastic bag," she told the court. "I packed my bodyboard and flippers, I did not pack the plastic bag. The flippers cannot be on top of the plastic bag, it can't be there."

Regarding her failure to notice the bag's extra weight, Corby told the court the bag's handle had somehow been broken en route to Bali, meaning she had to drag it.

Asked if that was why she failed to notice the added 4kg, she replied: "Well, I had my suitcase and another bag and I had never dreamed there was anything else in my boogie board bag than what I had just packed."

One of Corby's chief lawyers, Erwin Siregar, asked the two police officer witnesses, Wayan Suwita and I Gusti Ngurah Bagus Astawa, why no fingerprints had been taken from the ziplock plastic sack inside the bodyboard bag. Suwita answered: "We knew it was marijuana, so it wasn't necessary." Siregar pointed out that the crime of drug smuggling potentially carried the death penalty and asked if that made a "perfect investigation" more important.

"It's not my duty to answer that," Suwita replied. "Ask my superior." Astawa also said he did not know whether fingerprints were taken. "It's not my field," he explained. Asked whether fingerprints were necessary in Corby's case, he replied, "No."

Fingerprinting is not a common procedure in Indonesia, where the under-resourced police force is hard-pressed to deal with burgeoning crime.

The defence, though, submitted transcripts of television footage showing gloved police officers dealing with the nine Australians recently arrested for heroin smuggling in Bali. Why gloves for the Bali Nine and not for Schapelle, came the question from the defence.

A transcript of an Indonesian TV interview with Bali drug squad chief Bambang Sugiarto was also tendered to the court by the defence after the closing addresses. Sugiarto said Corby's "condition" was only 50 per cent, apparently referring to shortcomings in the fingerprinting and videotaping elements of the investigation.

Countering the defence's queries about the failure to fingerprint the plastic sack of marijuana, prosecutor Ni Wayan Sinaryati told the court it was unnecessary.

"In this case, the criminal perpetrator was caught red-handed by the Customs officers at the airport," Sinaryati said.

The defence was also unable to prove the weight of Corby's bag when she checked in at Brisbane airport, since all the bags were weighed together and police in Bali did not weigh all the bags for an overall comparison. Nor did Balinese police take up an AFP request to test the marijuana to determine its origin; there was no need, they said, they already had a case.
This to me seems to be where all the damning evidence is comming from, this is basically all the judges needed to hear to confirm that it was probably hers.
Do you REALLY blame them?

Yenta: You can mock their sentencing if you like, but you must realise they have a much more serious drug trafficing problem than we do.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
yenta said:
Yeah exactly...guilty or not her sentence is bullshit. I don't understand how the Indonesians think having 4kg of pot deserves 20 yrs in jail...or more. But that's them I guess, they're different to us so meh
Well have a think about it, can you see anyone trying to smuggle drugs from Australia to Indonesia any time in the next few years? While I'm conflicted as to whether Corby herself deserves such a long sentence, such a large deterrant, now that it's well publicised, will be a great victory in the war against drugs which are apparently extermely prevalent over there.

HSC
yenta said:
Yeah exactly...guilty or not her sentence is bullshit.
What the flying fuck?
Her sentence is extremely lenient. Many have received the death penalty.

yenta said:
I don't understand how the Indonesians think having 4kg of pot deserves 20 yrs in jail...or more. But that's them I guess, they're different to us so meh
Them vs. us.
That's just a stupid mentality to take. The Indonesians, they don't have REAL justice because they're different to us.
How many lives can 4.1kg of marijuana ruin?

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Asquithian said:
You believe she is innocent because....?

she is crying?

she is Aussie?

she's what? Why ? tell us please
The only reasons I know of that point towards her being innocent are:
- She has (as far as I know) never been convicted of anything to do with drugs before
- Pot is apparently worth a third in Indonesia as what it is in Aus
- The person who weighed her bag in Aus claimed it was lighter when he weighed it than when she got to Indonesia

And I'm not saying I think she's innocent just saying those might be some reasons

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yes but yenta, surely you can see if you're a judge the credible eyewitness testimony of 4 people + the mere fact that she was caught with drugs is going to require far more solid evidence.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
whiterabbit said:
What the flying fuck?
Her sentence is extremely lenient. Many have received the death penalty.
Yeah true, I'll rephrase it to I THINK her sentence is bullshit. And I think anyone who has received that or worse for having 4kg of drugs (especially pot) didn't deserve it. That's just what I think

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yes but yenta, surely you can see if you're a judge the credible eyewitness testimony of 4 people + the mere fact that she was caught with drugs is going to require far more solid evidence.
Yeah, which is why she was found guilty. I didn't say that those points prove she's innocent, just that maybe they are some of the reasons why people think she's innocent (personally I don't believe she's either cos I have no idea).

HSC
OZGIRL86 said:
People take drugs by choice,no one forces them.
Oh, so now we should stock them in supermarkets?

Stop missing the point and dwelling on relatively insignificant issues.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Hang on, this means duelling is legal so long as both parties are willing?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Aren't people allowed to hope for the best in someone merely because their gut has a slight twinge? Aren't they allowed to respond to what they see, whether it is skewed and populist or not?

Bloody hell, some people just think/hope that she is actually innocent, and in all likelihood it's because they expect better of Australians (no matter the fact that we are rather ordinary) and because the idea that the drugs may have been planted creates a rather pervasive sense of fear amongst those who are overly paranoid.

As for myself, I respect the verdict and question the ability of her defence team given what the judges had to say regarding objective and subjective evidence. Whether she is actually guilty or not, though, I am not sure, but I do hope that she is innocent (as I would for most people caught for such a crime in a country where the penalties are rather harse in relation to those in their country of origin). However, I wouldn't be surprised if she is actually at fault, too.

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Peer pressure is a powerful thing.
I agree,yes it can be powerful.. but at the end of the day the choice is still yours.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Generator said:
Aren't people allowed to hope for the best in someone merely because their gut has a slight twinge? Aren't they allowed to respond to what they see, whether it is skewed and populist or not?

Bloody hell, some people just think/hope that she is actually innocent, and in all likelihood it's because they expect better of Australians (no matter the fact that we are rather ordinary) and because the idea that the drugs may have been planted creates a rather pervasive sense of fear amongst those who are overly paranoid.

As for myself, I respect the verdict and question the ability of her defence team given what the judges had to say regarding objective and subjective evidence. Whether she is actually guilty or not, though, I am not sure, but I do hope that she is innocent (as I would for most people caught for such a crime in a country where the penalties are rather harse in relation to those in their country of origin). However, I wouldn't be surprised if she is actually at fault, too.
Ok whatever then.
"FREE MARTIN BRYANT!!!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)