• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Brogden Quits parliament (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Probally best for him. I doubt he would have repaired his career.

Its better to let go, than grasp onto the wreckage of a lost cause...

Another by election! thats the fourth....

Former NSW Liberal leader John Brogden has resigned from State Parliament.

Mr Brogden quit the Opposition leadership last month after he admitted describing former premier Bob Carr's wife, Helena, as "a mail-order bride" and making inappropriate comments to two women at a function.

He subsequently attempted suicide in his electorate office.

He resigned today from his northern Sydney seat of Pittwater, issuing a statement to parliamentary speaker John Aquilina.

"It is with great sadness that I write to inform you I am resigning as Member for the Electorate of Pittwater in the Parliament of New South Wales," the letter said.

"I have personal issues to address and I am undergoing treatment that may continue for some time."

In his letter to Mr Aquilina, Mr Brogden apologised to the people of Pittwater for causing a byelection to be held for the seat.

He also thanked those who had offered their support to him and his wife, Lucy.

"I apologise that this will incur the inconvenience and cost of a byelection," he said.
http://smh.com.au/news/national/brogden-quits-parliament/2005/09/28/1127804526716.html?oneclick=true

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Any news of when the byelections gonna be on? Hopefully (though doubtfully) it'll be on after my exams are done so I can help out...

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
withoutaface said:
Any news of when the byelections gonna be on? Hopefully (though doubtfully) it'll be on after my exams are done so I can help out...

Well its usually 3+ weeks after the writs are issued. Brogden submitted his resignation letter to the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly today.... so i would envisage a 4 week timeframe...

Kafka

HSC
N/A
An unfortunate victim of the relentess "taliban" and their push to destroy the very essence of the Liberal party.

Shame on you Alex Hawke and your other cronies hell bent on destroying all that is good in the Western, secular democratic system.

Kafka

HSC
N/A
wikiwiki said:
shut the fuck up, closet communist.

The Liberal Party is a conservative party.

Brogden and other immoral radicals like him are the true perversions in the Liberal Party.
How touchingly naive. I'm guessing you are involved with the right in that case.

The Liberal party was set up as just that - a socially liberal, humanist party. Economically conservative party. Members like Petro Giorgiou are the few remaining examples of that.

The very fact that you label Brogden as an "immoral radical" means that you can in now way claim to be a member of the Liberal Party, as you ignore the very foundations it was established under. They were concerned with the protection of free speech. Something it appears you are hell bent on taking away.

As for the Communist jibe. You conservatives need to get a new enemy. Communism is dead and discredited. Why don't you get with the times and label me a Terrorist instead? You don't know how I vote so I'd be quite about that. Nor do you know who my friends happen to be.

How amusing that you descend into cheap little insults when someone you barely know says something nasty about the uglies. How very high school of you. You'd fit in great in politics.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
I like it when people get owned ;)

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
wikiwiki said:
Listen to the wikipedia:

The Liberal Party was founded on 31 August 1945, after Robert Menzies called a conference in 1944 of Conservative parties and other groups opposed to the ruling Australian Labor Party. The Liberal Party absorbed several former Conservative parties, principally the United Australia Party. The Australian Women's National League, a powerful Conservative women's organisation, also merged with the new party. A Conservative youth group Menzies had set up, the Young Nationalists, was also merged into the new party. It became the Liberal Party's youth division, the Young Liberals.
Do you even know what a conservative is when you use the word? You can be a conservative and a communist. You can even be conservative and be a part of the ALP. Infact I'm sure some people will be able to name a few ALP MP's who are more conservative than a few in the Liberal party.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
wikiwiki said:
Not in our context, no.

Don't confuse social conservatism with economic conservatism.
There really isnt an economic conservativism. Literally what does 'economic conservative' mean? People who cling onto old and hence conservative economic perspectives such of the 1950s and Keynes?

People in the know tend to not use it as it only serves to confuse. Conservative is or should be used to describe the social outlook of a political party.

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
wikiwiki said:
Not in our context, no.

Don't confuse social conservatism with economic conservatism.

Oh God you are getting worse.

All right look:

Liberal Party: Social Conservative, Economic liberal

Labor: Social liberal, economic (varies, party highly divided)
There are social conservatives in the ALP and social liberals in the Liberal party. They sometimes overlap.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
wikiwiki said:
mercantilism.
...and how are we meant to know that when you use the term economic conservatism?

I think it would be wiser to use economic liberal as you used in your 2nd post rather than economically conservative.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
wikiwiki said:
All I am saying is that they shouldn't be.

They should form a centre party or join the democrats.
You don't subscribe to John Howard's 'big tent' theory of the Liberal party?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
wikiwiki said:
Big Tent?

What the hell is the party? A circus?

(well we have Abbot and Costello :rolleyes: )
Since you seem to advocate a 'my way or the highway approach' to liberal party policy making I was just wondering whether you support John Howards view of the Liberal party.

I find it a little troubling that you have no idea what I'm talking about when I refer to the big tent.

A party should internally decide its policies and everyone within the party should agree with them.
You mean like if Cabinet decided that gay couples could adopt children. Then the MP's would not be allowed to dissent?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
wikiwiki said:
I know what you meant with the big tent.

I'm just saying that fundamentally the party is a socially conservative party: if you aren't a conservative then, really, why are you a member of the party?

Also im not THAT extreme to say "my way or the highway". I agree, dissent is a necessary part but not to the point where you are philosophically opposed to a party's core values.
I think the Liberal party is more about economic policy these days. You can have conservative values but like Pauline Hanson and want to bring back protectionism.

The CORE of the Liberal party is economic liberalism. Clever policy advisors in the Liberal party, I assume, know that most of the Australian population does not have one iota of knowledge of economics or how the national economy works. Essentially little to no understanding of neo liberal economics. When no one understands your core belief how do you sell yourself? How do you diffentiante between the other party which is generally batting for the same thing (neo liberal economics (bar the left left faction of the ALP))? You cloak your party in conservative values.

Federally I don't think the Liberals need to do this. People will vote for the party that provides the best tax cuts. As long as people have money in their pockets they will vote for the party in power. As long as the economy is good, interest rates are low and people can pay consumer goods off in credit then all is good. John Howard could shoot boat people, strangle aboriginal people, have gays killed off by ASIO and destroy unions but he would still be voted in if the economy is strong. 'It's the economy stupid'. People don't care about work conditions, Human Rights, or equity and fairness they care about money. Simple.

People don't really care what values the Federal Liberal party has because they don't need to differentiate from Federal Labor. They can do this on economic grounds (whether valid or not). No need to differentiate on social grounds.

Evidence of this can be seen in New Zealand. New Zealanders are not that different from Australians. Helen Clark. Pretty firmly social left wing PM. In favour of gay marriage, gay this and that, native land rights etc. But the NZ economy is going pretty well. She still managed to sneak in for a third term.

At the state level where the Liberals are struggling they need to differentiate themselves from the already right wing ALP state government. They have very little room to move. The state economy has been going ok. They cannot differentiate themselves well on the economic policy front. So how do they diffentiate? By making themselves the conservative party.

Last edited:

Kafka

HSC
N/A
wikiwiki said:
I know what you meant with the big tent.

I'm just saying that fundamentally the party is a socially conservative party: if you aren't a conservative then, really, why are you a member of the party?

Also im not THAT extreme to say "my way or the highway". I agree, dissent is a necessary part but not to the point where you are philosophically opposed to a party's core values.
But you see, a little history not taken from a non-academic internet encyclopedia;

The Liberal party was etablished as a relatively social liberal and economic liberal (hence the name the LIBERAL party) as an amalgamation of various other conservative parties. Primarily to counter the threat of communism and the unions in the labor party.

A big part of the the appeal was that it offered a concise view without the water being muddied by the communist union links of the Labor party.

It was established as a "big tent" as it was primarily based on an economic rather than social view of the world. You could have a number of different views and still be considered a liberal. Hence why people as diverse as Petro Giorgiou and Bill Heffernan are both members.

If you take away this big tent approach and the ability to make decisions against what the majority want without being kicked out of the party in order to bring about what you percieve as the correct way than you are really no better than all the other mindless zealouts who use coercion to get what they want.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
wikiwiki said:
Look - I agree with the 'big tent' approach. But, I don't want the Liberal Party to turn into another ALP: factions sniffing for blood.
the Liberal party has always had factions (of the informal nature). Wet and dry. the allegations in relation to the NSW Liberals was that the Wet/dry split had become formalised factions that presented people for pre selection.

Kafka

HSC
N/A
erawamai said:
the Liberal party has always had factions (of the informal nature). Wet and dry. the allegations in relation to the NSW Liberals was that the Wet/dry split had become formalised factions that presented people for pre selection.
And that there was ALP style branch stacking by the uglies - eg Punchbowl and the brandished hand guns.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)