Cadetships 2016 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Senpai

HSC
I'm not even in big 4 (i have a few close connections though), but I can recognise they have better benefits in general (which is offset unfortunately by certain factors- but that's for another time :p)
I know a cadet in the big 4 who started in audit this year and stayed back until 1:00 AM in the morning on his third day there

(Audit is generally like this during certain periods throughout the year but 1:00 AM is ridiculous)

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
I know a cadet in the big 4 who started in audit this year and stayed back until 1:00 AM in the morning on his third day there

(Audit is generally like this during certain periods throughout the year but 1:00 AM is ridiculous)
Ok thats a bit extreme on the third day - do you know the circumstances? Its basically training and shadowing for the first week(s) in a big 4

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I stayed back til 9pm on my second night putting letters into envelopes.
Ironically the next day I had terrible food poisoning and couldn't come in for two days. When I came in in the Friday people were legitimately surprised because they thought I quit but didn't have the guts to actually quit.

Fun times.

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
Curious, which of the BIG-4 cadetship would you say is the best? I know friends who are in PWC and Ernest and Young cadetships, and the ones in E+Y ones really enjoy it, while my friends in PWC don't really like the working culture there.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Curious, which of the BIG-4 cadetship would you say is the best? I know friends who are in PWC and Ernest and Young cadetships, and the ones in E+Y ones really enjoy it, while my friends in PWC don't really like the working culture there.
All on you, the culture attracts certain personalties more then others in each firm - also depends what service line your going for (and industry) , ranggeee of factors to consider because each big 4 has their "advantage" as to say.

You can go by overall numbers, but that doesn't tell you much unless you're being more specific.

I have a personal ranking of each one overall - but I don't want to start 'which big 4 is best' thread, because I don't want to create an illusion in this thread that one is better and then I'll be the skewing factor for someone who has gotten 2 offers for big 4 (which should be more decided about what they feel is better)

mine is based on being in the industry and meeting many colleagues through the years - it doesn't serve much purpose for potential cadetship offers.

Last edited:

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
You can't rank them, it's impossible.

Your own personal experience will vary to the next. Your ownife experiences and views, your team, your managers, your service line, your commute, your uni and timetable, your mood that day. All could drastically change your opinion.

At the end of the day you will receive the same basic package wherever you go. A cadesthip in a team. Unless one firm offers something completely unique to the others, you can't really say "this one is better".

Personal experience makes a huge difference to your view. I did not have the best experience at my old firm, but my experience is unique to me. That's why I help people out when they are applying there.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC

Auditing can have brutal hours at any firm, I've heard the same about friends in Auditing at Big 4's and Mid Tier firms.

It's hard to say which is the best. I heard a lot of similar things regarding PwC but have also heard the opposite. I think it really depends on which line of service you end up in, the type of managers and the way the partners run that business service. As I said above, auditing can often have long hours and so many people may not like the work culture. The leadership and management style trickles down from the top so it really depends.

Anthel

HSC
N/A
I stayed back til 9pm on my second night putting letters into envelopes.
Ironically the next day I had terrible food poisoning and couldn't come in for two days. When I came in in the Friday people were legitimately surprised because they thought I quit but didn't have the guts to actually quit.

Fun times.
'didnt have the guts to quit', so you mean you vomited your guts out?

I joke, I'll leave now.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
You can't rank them, it's impossible.

Your own personal experience will vary to the next. Your ownife experiences and views, your team, your managers, your service line, your commute, your uni and timetable, your mood that day. All could drastically change your opinion.

At the end of the day you will receive the same basic package wherever you go. A cadesthip in a team. Unless one firm offers something completely unique to the others, you can't really say "this one is better".
This. Unfortunately it's not the same experience for every single person in every single business unit/service line, etc...

That being said, if you do have the luxury of choice, go with the one you connect with. Whilst there are some generalisations about each of the big 4, ultimately it comes down to who you want to work with. Pick the one which has similar values to your own. And don't be afraid to simply say no if you don't think it's a place you want to be.

6God

HSC
Hey guys,
Unlike you all, I'm from Victoria, currently studying Year 12 (final year of VCE) and was researching about cadetships in this field and came across this thread. Since I'm in Victoria, and probably not willing to move to Sydney all together, what's the best chance for me to land a cadetship in Finance/Banking? I'd love to apply for the UBS one however it's in Sydney :((
Should I start contacting mid to large finance firms to enquire?
Thanks,
6God

Last edited:

etxpy

HSC
N/A
The only finance/banking firm offering a cadetship is UBS. BNP Paribas and BofA used to have programs, but they were removed.

Simorgh

HSC
Sorry I have no idea what Cadetships are. Can someone mind explaining to what they are and what's their purpose? When should you apply for it?

Do you have to do a degree with a Cadetship as well?

Last edited:

authenticity

Povo Child
HSC
Cadetships are job opportunities for typically 1st or 2nd year accounting students to be able to gain practical experience and experience what it's like to work in the accounting field. Depending on what you apply for, you'll be able to work in the tax, auditing, insolvency division, etc. Usually, you'll work 4-4.5 days (full time), and depending on your work place, study full or part time. Occasionally, I have seen a firm offer 2-3 working days instead. Usually if you're given the opportunity to study full time, it'll be 3 subjects + 4 working days. Otherwise, it'll be 4.5 working days + 2 subjects.

The main period for applying for cadesthips is around June-July (I think, can't really remember). However, towards the end of the year and during the beginning of the subsequent year, a few positions may open because: the firm realised they wanted more cadets, someone dropped out, etc.

Each firm varies in their structure for cadetships. During the cadetship, I think most firms allow students a few semesters to study full time and not work at all. So i guess, you can still experience what it's really like to be a uni student ^__^

In regards to applying, you'll need a resume/cv and a cover letter. If you're successful, you may need to go through a 1-3 interviews (group, video and one-on-ones).

Cadetships also typically:
- Subsidize for your textbooks
- Support you in your CA studies
- Internal training

If you're interested, look through this link: https://www.charteredaccountantsanz.com/~/media/Files/Employment_Guide_2016.ashx to find which firms offer cadetships. Sometimes firms also puts ads on seek.com.au. But it's better to just go onto their website and look from there.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Oh so Cadetships are only for only Accounting
Nah they have cadetships for a bunch of things - other fields of finance, engineering, it etc.
really at it's core a cadetship is basically a company investing in you early

benefits:
- lock up talent early
- foster loyalty
- be better equipped to handle the job full-time than a non-cadet at graduation (theoretically)

negatives
- have to pay money
- having to train someone
- taking a risk

really any firm/company can offer you a cadetship without a formal program if you can sell yourself, and make it worthwhile to them (I think InsolvencyReaper did this)
but yeah there are cadetships for other fields, but it's most common in accounting.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
really any firm/company can offer you a cadetship without a formal program if you can sell yourself, and make it worthwhile to them (I think InsolvencyReaper did this)
but yeah there are cadetships for other fields, but it's most common in accounting.
Also doing a non traditional cadetship (though in accounting).

I have a few friends in real estate, insurance broking and IT who are studying and working. Essentially they have a full time job in exchange for completion of further study. Phrases like traineeship and junior are more common in our roles, rather than cadetship, but we still gain the benefits of experience and the firm has the benefits of junior employees.

If you look around you might find something. Cadetships for accounting tend to make up the largest portion of these jobs, which is why we have these big discussion threads going. But there are certainly other jobs out there if you look around. They may may not be as well advertised as the accounting ones.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Two opportunities have opened up for accounting undergrads who may have an interest in insolvency:

1) Worrells Solvency + Forensic Accountants
http://www.seek.com.au/Job/30784863/

2) SV Partners
http://www.seek.com.au/Job/30790526/

Both positions will provide the right candidate exposure to both corporate and personal insolvency. With these types of roles, they should be fairly flexible with university requirements, and you will learn a lot on the job.

Check it out.

meDAawesome

HSC
Anyone here going to the Meet the business leader event coming up later this month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)