• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Caesar (1 Viewer)

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Aww bugger! Really wished my computer didn't die before i saved a copy of that assignment. No wait! I just found the actual overhead.

*ahem*

THE WICKER MAN:

Basically Caesar talked about it in his 'Gallic Wars' but the bugger never claims to have actually witnessed such a sacrifice. There are no physical traces of a wicker man, nor any native tradition / history which lends support. Therefore, we can conclude (or i can at least) that Caesar is a lying prick who is very overated and made the whole thing up.

Besides, if there was a wicker man, he would be wearing sunnies and a hat (slip, slop, slap kids!)

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
of course he wears a hat - he has delicate skin - he burns in the sun!
anyway, u forgot the spider sheep.
hmm, must disagree bout making whole thing up:
reason 1 - harpy thinks he didnt and i mean, come on, she was probably there...god knows how old she really is under those platforms...
reason 2 - the wicker man is a concept that transcends space and time and damn im tired...

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Yes people it is true. The Merewether "Mafia" (urgh!) has overtaken this site, posting random gibberish totally not comprehensible.

Wicker man indeed......we all know he should go by the name "Essay Man" instead.

Magister

HSC
N/A
Caesar and the "Wicker-Man"

The "Wicker-man" was part of pagan Celtic culture and linked closely to the Druids.It was a form of ritual human sacrifice where a huge cage built as an effigy of a man was made from wood or wicker. Living humans and sometimes animals were stuffed inside and set alight to be sacrificed in a huge bonfire. There is no agreement whether the victims were condemned prisoners or innocent people.

Roman historians recorded this practice, in particular Julius Caesar during his campaigns in Gaul. In his "Gallic War" 6.13-16 he states re the Druids and sacrifice:
"The whole nation of Gauls is greatly devoted to ritual observances,
and for that reason those who are smitten with the more grievous
maladies and who are engaged in perils of battle either sacrifice
human victims or vow to do so, employing the Druids as ministers for
such sacrifices. They believe, in effect that unless a man's life be paid,
the majesty of the immortal gods may be appeased,,,"

Caesar's observations may be propagandist in intention, attempting to create extra interest and support for his campaigns (remember, back in Rome the Senate was trying to end his command and recall him, and the optimate diehards were out to get him!) so by emphasising such barbaric practices he could demonise them as savage and dangerous enemies. He does, however remark that the sacrifices were usually of criminals.

There is further mention of this in Tacitus' "Annals" in reference to the ambush and slaughter of Varus' army by Arminius in the Teutoburger Forest in Germany. The army was annihilated and those captured were burned alive in similar methods as the "Wicker-man" sacrifices.

So good old J.C. was not lying or hallucinating when he mentions this!

I hope this sufficiently explains this source of concern and puzzlement.

Magister.

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
excuse me? i am much more useful than you think! I make a nice mean doorstop if you make me stand in the right place ya'know?

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
I can't be a hatstand! I'm a doorstop and that's that!

(oh god you're right! I don't even know what we're talking about anymore!)

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
Lol, i dont think Tina would make a good hatstand, you could only hang stuff on her arms and head, she doesnt have sufficient body parts (yeah, u know what im talking bout) to make a good hatstand. I think Tines is right, a good doorstop....

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
And plus, people won't get freaked out when i face them. You know, like "Psycho" where the "jugs" point in the direction of the victim.

"My breasts are small and humble..."

Friggin hell im asian anyways!
>_<

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
look, maybe its just me, but i think its kinda pathetic that we've stooped to talkn bout tina's breasts. btw, that was waay harsh angelduck! no cookies 4 u! cant we at least bitch bout harpy if we're gonna botch bout any1? what was with the test?!?! i really didnt like that - especially her critique: 'you all used way 2 many historians'. ummm, has she not been listening 2 herself 4 past 2years?!

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Exactly! And geez, 10 marks for a question about family background...no wonder why we fly off on a tangent - v. impossible to crap on just about her family line. Really should only be worth 5 marks. Grr.....

angelduck

HSC
Yeah, did u check out my comment? She basically said i was stupid, that i could've done betta, and, wait a sec, ill go find it..........+

"what is the question??" "dont try to attack the questiion, keep ur head, be calm and then write ur response, you can do it as i am aware of ur knowledge...."

Just coz i thought the officials question was crap, and i didnt give an orthodox answer!!

Well sorry foir loosin first place harpy, i will work harder under ur expert guidence NOT!!!!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
well angelduck...sidestepping the bitterness there...at least u got a proper comment! all i got was 'good'. and on the front cover, where she said she she'd put notes on exactly what each of us could do 2 improve she put 'well done' and 'add'. add what exactly?!?! maybe its just me, but i dont think 'Add' is a proper comment personally! at least u can tell that she likes u and actually wants 2 help u improve - lets face it, she couldnt give a damn about the rest of us poor munchins!

angelduck

HSC
Rhia, and i seem to remember u not wanting to be called a munchin, no wait, that was a minion, my bad.

Yeah, but thats not good enupgh for her anymore, coz i shouldnt focus on coming forst, only do the best i can do - well, now i know i lost the "sam willis" of the year award. Oh well, at least my hoodies sorta worked out (and no, i have no idea why ive just decided to rip off chrissi randomly, ill think of a reason later)

Did i tell ya? I get extra time and breaks in trials!!!! - then again, this is coz i cant really write legibly and prob. wont be able to write for 3 hours, im havin enpough trouble typing (im sure u can tell, theres more mistakes tahn usual!) so yeah, i dont think its thats good afterall

*goes into state of reflection/*

Oh well, im missing simpsons, so bye!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
i didnt think any of the questions were bad, i just wasnt prepared for them as well as i would have liked.
and yeah, the hoodies worked out sooo well angelduck! what, 10 ppl got them? not really complaining since i was one of em, but still...hardly a great success story!

angelduck

HSC
Hey, the arms thing wasnt my fault. Just coz our school is filled with freaks who have long arms. And they still came, unlike the jerseys which are yet to makle an appearence!

Yeah, the questions weren't exactly what i was expecting, spec a 10 marker on family background, though i do believe ive discussed this beforel....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)