Can a first year do a 200 level unit under special circumstances? (1 Viewer)

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I'm enrolled in a BA, and I want to major in French Studies. However on my gap year I studied French intensely for 4 months and have maintained a good level of written and conversational French, so it seems a bit pointless to do FRN119 or any of the other introductory 1st year courses. Can I enrol in a 2nd year course considering my background knowledge of the language? ...and do I have to go out of my way to make it happen?

My enrolment prep and academic advising are tomorrow. I have absolutely no idea what's going to happen...!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
I know two people at my uni who bypassed 1st year French, even at the highest level stream (we have 3) and went straight to the next stage of the advanced stream. Go talk to someone in the French department and get them to place you.

NewiJapper

HSC
With languages, if you are proficient enough, you should be able to get into a higher course. My friend who went over to Japan for a year came back to do Jap at uni and got put straight into 3rd year (3000 level) Japanese for his arts degree :p

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Thanks guys!

Is anyone doing/has done any 200 lvl and could tell me what they have and haven't covered?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Your best bet is to try and get a hold of someone in the department tomorrow and have a chat about it, they can give you the best possible advice regarding your intended program of study.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Your best bet is to try and get a hold of someone in the department tomorrow and have a chat about it, they can give you the best possible advice regarding your intended program of study.
Cool. I shall do exactly that. Cheers!

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Just to clarify if anyone happens to chance upon this thread later wanting an answer to my question...

I was able to enrol in the 200 level units, but only after multiple visits to a French professor. The first time, we conversed a while in French and she agreed that I was competent enough to begin 2nd year courses in my first year...so she signed my proposed program form and off I went to enrol via the computer. However, the computer system wouldn't allow me to enrol as I hadn't got a waiver signed. So I was given a form and back I went to the professor. I returned with the signed form, only to sit in the computer room for an HOUR and then be told I'd been given the wrong form and they couldn't process it. Armed with a new correct form, I made my way back to the professor for the third time only to be told she was at lunch. Eventually the woman at the Inquiries desk just gave up and said she'd process it for me. Only after that was I able to enrol in the 200 level units.

So, yeah. My year at macquarie off to a fantastic start.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)