Can I Believe In God In My Own Way? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
there is a term for this

can't remember what it was, though

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
I don't want this to be a discussion about whether God exists, but whether or not religion can or should be accepted as more or less fluid.
Unfortunately the answer to that question depends on which of your respective gods exist. If a hardline god exists then you're screwed. If a kind, flexible god exists, then you're sweet. If neither exist then perhaps it doesn't matter.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
You don't get to heaven through the stuff you do, you get there by believing in God. Or so I have been told. Having sex or not attending church or having gay friends or whatever isn't going to take away your salvation once you've got it (although I would think someone who does believe in God that intensely would be trying pretty hard to keep him happy by not doing any of that stuff, but whatever, apparently as long as you believe you're ok)

I dunno once you cut away all the other legalistic bullshit that seems to be the gist of Christianity. Have faith and God will take care of the rest.

Wow this thread is way old. But a goodie.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I'm sure SATAN believes in God. He's ok for heavenly accomodation then?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
I'm not religious, but neither am I atheistic. I simply believe in the human spirit.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Iron said:
nah he doesn't accept Jesus as his saviour or whatever.

this is what I have gathered, if you follow Christianity and you don't wanna burn in fire etc etc this is what you do

1. believe in God (obvious)
2. believe in Jesus
3. accept him as your saviour
4. repent of all your sins

Correct? Y/N

Idk, this is just what I'm dredging up in my memory from year 2 scripture class

melanieeee.

HSC
Iron said:
i think the word "believe" needs to be replaced with "have faith".

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
I'm a bit irritated at the moment. I spoke to this girl and she told me that I'm not a real christian because I have friends who are gay, I don't go to church, I've hurt my parents because I moved out (ie, thou shall honour thy mother and father) and that my boyfriend and I get interesting every now and then.

This coming from a girl who believes in Adam and Eve literally. Which I don't. I thought it was more of the meaning that comes out of it - the fact that representing the start of the human race as two people meant that God created us ALL, and that we should treat each other like family, not literally blood related.

I don't want this to be a discussion about whether God exists, but whether or not religion can or should be accepted as more or less fluid.

I cannot believe that after so many translations, so many changes of the Bible - and so many changes in societal values, that one can actually "truly" worship the "original" religion.

Can religion be fluid? Or am I going to hell?
Just be a Deist, suits you better IMO.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
nah he doesn't accept Jesus as his saviour or whatever.

this is what I have gathered, if you follow Christianity and you don't wanna burn in fire etc etc this is what you do

1. believe in God (obvious)
2. believe in Jesus
3. accept him as your saviour
4. repent of all your sins

Correct? Y/N

Idk, this is just what I'm dredging up in my memory from year 2 scripture class
The Catholic position is that your belief MUST have clear bearing on your actions for it to have any relevance. That was my point with satan: what's at stake here is much greater than mere belief - it is a titanic struggle between love and hate in which all forces of the universe are involved!
You cant just believe in good to BE good - you must ACT good. Action is crucial and we see this time and time again. All evil needs to succeed is for good men to DO NOTHING.

The other thing at stake here is totally fatal to religion: the idea of interpreting truth through your own devices, rather than through the objective standard of the Bible and the Church. To say that no truth cant be found beyond yourself is to say that truth does not exist at all. And what is God BUT TRUTH!? As we speak, scientists are charting the face of God in France/Switzerland. They did not get here by rejecting all truth external to their own experience - they are relying on hundreds of years of accumulated, objective truth derived from men eager to understand God's creation and, ultimately, God himself.
It is a heroic and beautiful effort of human innovation!

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
The way I see it, it's like joining a club. You don't join the society of curry flavoured beans if you don't like beans.

Just.Snaz

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
I'm a bit irritated at the moment. I spoke to this girl and she told me that I'm not a real christian because I have friends who are gay, I don't go to church, I've hurt my parents because I moved out (ie, thou shall honour thy mother and father) and that my boyfriend and I get interesting every now and then.

This coming from a girl who believes in Adam and Eve literally. Which I don't. I thought it was more of the meaning that comes out of it - the fact that representing the start of the human race as two people meant that God created us ALL, and that we should treat each other like family, not literally blood related.

I cannot believe that after so many translations, so many changes of the Bible - and so many changes in societal values, that one can actually "truly" worship the "original" religion.

Can religion be fluid? Or am I going to hell?
Everyone is judged according to their circumstance. Do your best to follow Christianity's beliefs, etc and nothing more can be asked of you. Nevertheless, don't cheat yourself and say well I can't stop having sex with my boyfriend because it's 'too hard' so I'm excused. That's how I believe Christianity goes..

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Right on Nebz. I just hate the attitude that 'everything in life must exist soley for my pleasure and convenience'. It's an attitude cultivated by commerical interests for hundreds of years - the illusion that your opinion really matters and that great forces really care about you and treat your 'personal empowerment' seriously.

Life entails horrific pain and serious suffering: It's all a test of your personal worth. If you dont have the guts to stick it out to the grim end in Iraq, then you're pathetic. If you cut and run from a situation that no longer serves your short-term interests, then you cheat yourself out of your dignity, and life's greatests long-term rewards

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Yeah I'm not Christian anymore, so any quoting of my first post and giving me advice or pointing our flaws is really stupid and irrelevant to me.

So uh, yeah okay bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)