Can I Believe In God In My Own Way? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehose

HSC
Which he has done before. If anything, it's the atheists who forever go around criticizing Christianity on this forum accusing Christians of being non-accepting 'n all, when the whole time they are the ones whining. And true, I haven't seen threads of the opposite where Christians are doing what they accuse us of- acting superior over everyone else.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
Napstar said:
i think it is true that the different religions all have a similar god. but the problem is that without accepting jesus christ as ur savour and having died for ur sins, you are blocking out gods love for us and no sinner can go to heaven unless he has the holy spirit in him.
Funny thing - Jews and Muslims, who believe in the same God as you, say that Jesus ISN'T the Messiah. The odds are against you.

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
Right so God created himself woopdidoo!

I'd much rather believe that we are alien guineapigs.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Napstar said:
i think all people should believe in jesus because he died for US. he did the most unselfish act ever and how can you deny him your love when he loves us all so much?

if you ever doubt his love just pray to him and he will help you to see the truth.

oh man, i cant believe that u tihnk jesus loved us all. even the people that were born 2000 years later. and anyway i dont want some man loving me, i am not that kid from the michael jackson trial. so please make jesus not love me

brad108

HSC
I think that religion can be fluid. I class myself as Christian, and I went to a christian school. I am also gay. Most people think that you can't be both, but i know a lot of people who are.

And well, if ever you feel guilty about anything that you see as a sin, you can confess your sins, and be forgiven.

As for the literal interpretation of the Adam and Eve story, it was meant to be taken metaphorically. I just dont beleive that blind naked people were walking around a garden until the chicka eats the forbidden fruit, being tempted by a snake, and then being kicked out. Meh .... the story is meant to be a warning about the giving into temptation, and the dangers associated with doing so ...

brad108

HSC
llamalope said:
Yes, we are all sinners, but if you love God and repent your sins wholeheartedly, and believe in the apostle's creed, and try to live a good life then I think that should be the most important thing
I think it may be interesting to note, that Rasputin belonged to a religious sect that beleived that to be forgiven for ones sins, you first had to sin. And apparently he took full advantage of this. Apparently he had multiple sex partners, both male and female, ... and lots of other stuff :p

jennylim

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
I'm a bit irritated at the moment. I spoke to this girl and she told me that I'm not a real christian because I have friends who are gay, I don't go to church, I've hurt my parents because I moved out (ie, thou shall honour thy mother and father) and that my boyfriend and I get interesting every now and then.

This coming from a girl who believes in Adam and Eve literally. Which I don't. I thought it was more of the meaning that comes out of it - the fact that representing the start of the human race as two people meant that God created us ALL, and that we should treat each other like family, not literally blood related.

I don't want this to be a discussion about whether God exists, but whether or not religion can or should be accepted as more or less fluid.

I cannot believe that after so many translations, so many changes of the Bible - and so many changes in societal values, that one can actually "truly" worship the "original" religion.

Can religion be fluid? Or am I going to hell?
well, i'd ask that girl what it meant to be a "real christian". basically i see it as believing in Jesus as your saviour, repenting of all your sins and trusting only in him. and trying to live as God commanded, but stress the trying bit, because obviously no one is perfect. ummm i wouldn't say creationist gave you any more brownie points because i'm not and my chaplain isn't and neither is my minister. they see genesis as written as a poem. but that's not the point.
personally i do believe in fundamentalist christian theology. i trust the bible as God's word. the gay friends is really dumb, because being gay is simply being a sinner, which absolutely everyone is (including your friend and mother theresa), and if you're going to have non-sinning friends, you're going to be real lonely. moved out and hurt parents - that's something for you to work out. boyfriend - well see what it says in the bible, but remember we are all sinners. this guy i heard at kyckstart told us all that if we truly believe in Jesus and truly repent of our sins that that's what counts. so i spose it really depends on that.

jennylim

HSC
brad108 said:
I think it may be interesting to note, that Rasputin belonged to a religious sect that beleived that to be forgiven for ones sins, you first had to sin. And apparently he took full advantage of this. Apparently he had multiple sex partners, both male and female, ... and lots of other stuff :p

go read romans. "shall we go on sinning so grace may increase? by no means! you are dead to sin, how can you live in it any longer?" or some such.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
haha i am just reading some definitions of "god" at www.urbandictionary.com

1. god
An imaginary father figure used to scare little kids into not masturbating.
Your god sure loves the cock. He is insatiable.
2. god
"dog" spelled backwards.
The dyslexic child named his new puppy "God."

3. God
Someone whom athletes always thank when they win, but never mention when they lose. (George Carlin)
"God made me trip behind the line of srrimmage."

4. god
A clever illusion designed by the mentally ill to keep human civilization from reaching the stars. An illusion created to prevent humans from accepting that they die and decay away like every other living being, and to effectively control the gullible, stupid majority of the human species.
God is the answer to all problems. Not technology, logic, education, because they are evil and not of God.

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
There are certain dogmas in Christianity, of course ("love your neighbour as you love yourself", the ten commandments, etc). But you don't have to believe everything literally. In fact, in the Catholic school I went to, I was taught that Catholics don't really take things literally from the Bible. eg. The Creation Story, etc. The Protestants, in fact, believe it literally, but not Catholics. Naw, you're not going to hell, don't worry.

You know, many priests, bishops, etc have different interpretations on the Bible. You can believe in your own way, as long as you follow the doctrines that separate Christians from other religions (I'm not saying that Christians are better than other religions).

What's wrong with not being Christian? If you don't follow some of its dogmas, then you can move to another faith or religion. What's wrong with that?

I personally think that Christians and Atheists who think they're superior are totally annoying. I'm a Catholic, yet I don't brag about how Catholocism is better and is the only path to enlightenment. Hell, I don't even think that way. Some unreasonable atheists think they're superior because they know the 'truth'. But, as we all know from our beloved HSC, truth is subjective. It really depends on your point of view. I can only wish a forum where atheists and the religious respect each other, not insult and offend each other, which is the case here (*sigh*). Besides, we are absolutely off topic. The topic creator did say that the thread shouldn't be about whether God exists or not...

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
inasero said:
I'm not going to stop you from beliveing what you want HellVen but let me ask- haven't you ever thought there was more to life than being born, living and then dying?
However much you wish there to be such a point to life won't change the fact that there isn't such a point to life, though. I mean, if being born, living and then dying are the points to life, why should there be more points? They may not be the points you want, but that doesn't change them. Occam's razor + logic.

Besides, I think living is a pretty good point to life, myself.

Last edited:

Keen

MD
HSC
if everything in the bible happened it still doesn't prove god exists,

but onto more important points.

I'm sort of like the topic starter, I believe in God, but I don't really believe in religion, as I think most of them are silly and take advantage of human nature. I disregard Christianity the same reason say that christians disregard islam (there really is no solid arguments here - every argument that you use to prove Christianity can be used by Islam, therefore they are both equally valid but they both (at least from a christian viewpoint) cannot exist therefore at least one must be rubbish (at least christianity - not to be too offensive, but Islam seems to be a little more tolerant of other religions, at least Christianity, than Christians are).

Keen

Farfour

Banned
HSC
N/A
It's funny because Stef no longer believes in any of that shit because she's actually intelligent and able to come to a greater understanding of reality.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Blar. Subjectivism in religion. God is what I believe God is and I believe he likes me because i'm awesome. QED

lorikeet

New Year's Eve
HSC
Iron said:
Blar. Subjectivism in religion. God is what I believe God is and I believe he likes me because i'm awesome. QED
hear hear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)