Can my school do this? (1 Viewer)

madsam

God among men
HSC
According to BOS, students must be given 2 weeks notice prior to an assessment task, yeah?
Well, ourenglish department told us on monday that we were having an assessment task on in a fortnight, and that it was a verbal notification, and we were merely informed there was an assessment on. They said on friday we would be given the written notification with info about the actual exam. Between then however, we wernt told anything about the assessment other than it's on Hamlet and that we are going to be given three essay questions to take home and do, and then on the day one will be chosen for us to write about...

So great BOS people, is my school allowed to do that? Tell us about an assessment, but not give details about what we will be tested on?

shady145

Banned
HSC
maybe, we get told verbal sometimes and given the task sheet a few days later. i suppose if its an inclass task then it really wouldnt matter

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
maybe you should listen in class ?

wendus

krawr.
HSC
i don't think it's something you can fight for...
and plus, you get the 3 essay q's anyway so just prep for them and you'll be fine.
and besides a few days really doesn't make that much of a diff.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
i don't think it's something you can fight for...
and plus, you get the 3 essay q's anyway so just prep for them and you'll be fine.
and besides a few days really doesn't make that much of a diff.
hows uni yo, you're never on bos anymoar

wendus

krawr.
HSC
heyhey nah bos makes me sad. uni's not bad, i'm at unsw too! and it's end of sem 1, yay!!

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
We got our Maths assessment notice sheet 1 week prior to the assessment. No one really cared.

yummy-cookies

HSC
Yeah, they can actually do that.

What bugs me is that this year all the teachers have been giving us assessments exactly two weeks before, whereas in year 11 it was more like at least three weeks.

Simo91

HSC
We got our notification for our business half yearly exactly one week before we did it. So, unfortunately, yes they can.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Source: HSC assessment in a standards-referenced framework - A Guide to Best Practice - Board of Studies NSW
Section 3
Developing and evaluating a school's HSC assessment policies and procedures

Schools must develop and implement policies and procedures to:
  • inform students in writing of the assessment requirements for each course before the commencement of the HSC course, including the number, mark values and types of tasks to be used
  • ensure that students are given adequate written notice of the nature and timing of assessment tasks
  • provide meaningful feedback on students' performance in all assessment tasks
  • maintain records of marks awarded to each student for all assessment tasks
  • address issues relating to illness, misadventure and malpractice in assessment tasks
  • address issues relating to late submission and non-completion of assessment tasks
  • address issues relating to students who transfer, or accelerate or accumulate
  • advise students in writing when they are not meeting the assessment requirements in a course and indicate what is necessary to enable the students to meet the requirements satisfactorily
  • ensure students know how they can collect their Assessment Rank Order Notice at the end of the HSC examinations and understand its purpose
  • inform students about their entitlements to school reviews and appeals to the Board
  • conduct school reviews of assessment when requested by students.
I can't find any definite time but the general consensus from what I gather is indeed, that the notification must be given 2 weeks prior to the assessment task.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Yeah, it's supposed to be 2 weeks but your school is allowed to do that.

hollaholla

HSC
yes ! my gosh cmon you've still got time...work on it.
its not like theyre telling you the day before .

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Think about it like this: everyone in your cohort is in the same situation.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
It's required the teachers give you a hard copy with requirements and outcomes of the assessment 2 weeks before the assessment unless there is an agreement come to by the students, teachers and coordinators. For instance my maths assessment we were only given 1 week notice but the kids were all fine about it because later and it would have been a hassle to everyone else.

It probably happens to a lot of people though.

0hNivlek

HSC
I was on camp with Society & Culture and my teacher got called to tell her to tell me that i have an assessment for maths in 2 weeks time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)