Can poverty be eradicated? (1 Viewer)

Johhny Thunder

Johnny Thunder
HSC
ofcourse

we just need to rid oursleves of the capitalistic system that BREEDS poverty

poverty is just another symptom of capitalism

the master will always need slaves unless we set the fucker on fire and get equality

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Darnie said:
oh ok i didnt realise the cost was so little really.
But china and russia are almost a superpower now aren't they? they must have some power in that sort of stuff. I can see how it would be easier to conform african countries and such with little education, but countries closer to china and russia, i dont see how they will conform too easily
You help the ones that will conform and the ones that won't will watch their neighbours grow strong (both economically and militarily) and realise their mistakes. Or just feel plain threatened, so will changes their ways.
Or you could encourage it's citizens into armed revolution, but then it's kinda hard to avoid being obvious about that.

HNAKXR

Wooooooo...OOOoOOOOoOOoP!
HSC
N/A
moll. said:
There are many estimations for the amount needed available, but most of them never go over 1% of GDP, per year. That'd be about US$130 billion from the United States alone, and a comparable amount from the EU. And that's each year. This would more than cover any expenses.
And the cost? say you earn $10,000 a year. You really gonna miss $100 of that? And considering the global economic benefits that would come with this, it'd be well and truly worth it.
China and Russia would keep their mouths shut, because no country openly argues with the ideology of democracy and doesn't face international backlash and condemnation. Besides, Russia is technically counted as a democracy these days. Although try telling that to Putin.
You encourage democracy and a lack of corruption by purposely avoiding those countries with out it. Also, by the UN gently encouraging and persuading the gov'ts to reform their systems before aid will arrive if there are any major problems. A gov't is only as powerful as the people it controls. And all gov'ts want more power, even teh democractic ones. Authoritarian gov'ts just want it more.
This will never happen because:

* we are an avaricious species.

* Democracy (Nobody wants more taxes).

*The UN is fucking useless.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
HNAKXR said:
This will never happen because:

* we are an avaricious species.

* Democracy (Nobody wants more taxes).

*The UN is fucking useless.
Well not with that attitude!
lol.

EDIT: And the thread is discussing whether poverty can be eradicated, not whether it will.

HNAKXR

HSC
N/A
moll. said:
Well not with that attitude!
lol.

EDIT: And the thread is discussing whether poverty can be eradicated, not whether it will.
anything is possible.

but when you take certain things into account e.g logic it seems highly improbable to the point where we can assume it wont.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
HNAKXR said:
anything is possible.

but when you take certain things into account e.g logic it seems highly improbable to the point where we can assume it wont.
But this isn't a matter of logic. Logic doesn't change. A man's will and beliefs can.

HNAKXR

HSC
N/A
moll. said:
But this isn't a matter of logic. Logic doesn't change. A man's will and beliefs can.
Human nature does not change.
logic as a method of reasoning tells us this.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
HNAKXR said:
Human nature does not change.
logic as a method of reasoning tells us this.
Funny, what about the changing moral standards of the West? Morality stems from humans, so if human nature does not change, then how can our morality?

HNAKXR

HSC
N/A
moll. said:
Funny, what about the changing moral standards of the West? Morality stems from humans, so if human nature does not change, then how can our morality?
Morality stems from social conditioning.

Humans are intrinsically selfish and hedonistic, that's what i mean by human nature.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
HNAKXR said:
Morality stems from social conditioning.

Humans are intrinsically selfish and hedonistic, that's what i mean by human nature.
Collectively, maybe.
But not individually. Our society never would have gotten anywhere if we were completely selfish.
And it is to that part of society that we need to appeal.

Natendo

HSC
This is just a reply to the original topic, and is not written in consideration of any replies because I'm a lazy fucker and my eyes are not functioning today ;) so forgive meif the following has already been mentioned 1 billion times before (more than likely)

If we're talking about ''Western solutions' to poverty in developing nations, I wouldn't know where to begin evaluating if poverty can be 'eradicated'. Infact another question would probably be 'whose job is it to counteract poverty in different regions?'. Further, there's probably several different streams of arguments - political, social, cultural to answer the question of poverty eradication. It would require an understanding of how each society works, their relationship with other nations, political analysis, economic analysis. In short, you'd need to study different poverty stricken countries, because the successful eradication poverty in each one would probably have different probablities. ("probably have different probabilities" wow, thats an incredibly sophisticated phrase. I'm definately not one for clumsy sentences)

Eradication of poverty within a developed country through their own means ie. Australia, I think, is possible. Albeit a highly contentious issue.
The value for the 'Population below 50% of median income (%)' for Australia was 14.3% (2.84 Million) in 2006 according to census data. And trends show this figure to be rising each year (Although I didn't check to see whether births had increased each year to see whether the forces behind this trend where socio economic or infact more the result of a growing population). If we add to this the notion of the widening gap between the 'rich' and the 'poor' our scenario seems pretty laclustre.
I think the cycle of poverty would have to be expelled; each conforming to the particular group of people concerned i.e. students living out of home, young parents, elderly, retired, unemployed. And immense consideration and cultural relevatism must be shown to Aboriginal communities (to whom figures show a greater portion of Aboriginals experience poverty than non-Aboriginals in Australia).

The eradication of poverty amongst Aboriginal communities is also a contentious issue. Some might argue our policies regarding Aboriginal equality are too skewed towards iinterventions etc that may lead to less autonomy.
That leads to the several question of, Are our attempts to eradicate poverty in Aboriginal communities only acting to impress western values and ideas about the 'good' and 'proper' life? i.e. a mainstreme australian lifestyle with our values? Are they better left to fix these problems by themselves within their communities? and do we have the right (morally and culturally) to intervene if they say no?

Perhaps these questions just hark back to a history of colonialsim which can't be undone and rather we must just look to ways of enhancing the situation now?
I don't know. Just my 2 cents (probably worth less. Meh) :D

Last edited:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
squiresshane990 said:
Your 2 cents would do much more good in zimbabwe
With inflation of the Zimbabwean currency running into the millions at the moment, it would probably go a lot farther than it does in Australia.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
no.

coz even if u give poor ppl shitloads of $$$, they'll just spend it on turps and pokies and become poor again anyway

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Would also just like to add that i managed to convince my entire family last week that they should all donate at least 1% of their gross income to charity in some form or another. I also finally convinced my dad to sponsor a child (with some financial input from myself).
See? It's not that hard. Just a simple lecture and continued hassling.
:D

HSC
N/A
In some cases the money given to charities like World Vision never reaches the 'sponsored child' but are instead used for the business' revenue.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Josip Broz Tito said:
In some cases the money given to charities like World Vision never reaches the 'sponsored child' but are instead used for the business' revenue.
Yeah, but i figure that 'cause Tim Costello (the director of World Vision) is also a priest that he'd be shit scared of God hating him for embezzling funds and as such would be strict about others doing so.
Which in retrospect makes absolutely no sense.

HSC
N/A
moll. said:
Yeah, but i figure that 'cause Tim Costello (the director of World Vision) is also a priest that he'd be shit scared of God hating him for embezzling funds and as such would be strict about others doing so.
Which in retrospect makes absolutely no sense.
and then there are those priests that have no problems in sexually assaulting young children- preferably boys. But there are still ethical organisations out there and in most cases the money does get to the kids; especially now after the media caught up with all the unethical shit.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Josip Broz Tito said:
and then there are those priests that have no problems in sexually assaulting young children- preferably boys. But there are still ethical organisations out there and in most cases the money does get to the kids; especially now after the media caught up with all the unethical shit.
Another rationale:
World Vision is far too large-scale to be involved in systematic embezzlement.
Yes?
But i have to admit, i don't actually like World Vision too much, but they're the only ones who offer child sponsorship.

55HS

HSC
With relative poverty I truly doubt it... Unless there becomes some world-wide marxist government.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)