• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Career aspirations - Is it realistic? Adivce please! (2 Viewers)

Brontecat

HSC
of course its a reality if you want it bad enough you can accumulate your HSC over 5 years - redo them at tafe or something so that you get a higher UAI

or if u're that into it you can just go to one of those uni's that take almost everyone but where you dont do the course you want straight away but can get into it later if u pass another one of the courses that you do first up

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
of course its a reality if you want it bad enough you can accumulate your HSC over 5 years - redo them at tafe or something so that you get a higher UAI

or if u're that into it you can just go to one of those uni's that take almost everyone but where you dont do the course you want straight away but can get into it later if u pass another one of the courses that you do first up
Why did I think of UWS after reading this? lol

Brontecat

HSC
lol all this stuff is fresh in my brain we had this maasively long speech from our principal telling us that there are three kinds of uni's
-places where u need a higher UAI are better and let less in -
-places where you have to get in the top something % to make it to the next year (but have a slightly lower UAI entry)
- and then the ones i mentioned b4 that personally reminds me of melbourne uni

another thing our principal told us was to aim for band 1 and he'll be disappointed if we dont get some - he actually meant band 6 lol

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
lol all this stuff is fresh in my brain we had this maasively long speech from our principal telling us that there are three kinds of uni's
-places where you have to get in the top something % to make it to the next year (but have a slightly lower UAI entry)

another thing our principal told us was to aim for band 1 and he'll be disappointed if we dont get some - he actually meant band 6 lol
lol ahahahah, what a nice principal :rofl:

Melbourne Uni takes in anyone? :confused::confused: or did you mean it doesn't? :confused:

Brontecat

HSC
according to my principal they take pretty much everyone but say if you want to be a doctor you'll spend 3 years doing stuff like bio at uni then if you're good enough they'll let you go on and become a doctor

- this is also according to my principal but im not 100% he did used to work at a uni admissions place though so i think he has some idea

spence

HSC
If it really is your dream career, you should really consider doing it at CSU, as was mentioned

I don't know of any unis doing that

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
according to my principal they take pretty much everyone but say if you want to be a doctor you'll spend 3 years doing stuff like bio at uni then if you're good enough they'll let you go on and become a doctor

- this is also according to my principal but im not 100% he did used to work at a uni admissions place though so i think he has some idea
hmm... how come its ranked so high then? Dont they have like high UAI cut-offs or something?

Because a friend of mine made it for MBBS @ Uni. Melbourne but he took UNSW over melbourne because he lives in NSW.. somehow he got declined for Monash lol... (UAI: 99.80, from Ruse) back like 4 years ago

Paradox.101

HSC
i thought you needed to do extension english to get into journalism? as in its a pre requiste?
suppose you could do a bridging course though...
As Moll said, it isn't a prerequisite, although Advanced English is, I do want to drop a subject for EE 2Unit, although our coordinator says it's a little too late for that. Bridging courses... I think that would be my last option :\

You'll need to work extremly hard... most likely a band 6 in each to get you a 90+ UAI

Visual Arts is pretty low scaling (I think) so you could drop that if you wanted...
Thanks for the tip :)

Why not try CSU. Best journalism course in NSW (with UTS) and the UAI isn't astronomical.
Yep, I've taken that into account, although I don't see myself moving to Bathurst, not only is UTS's location convenient, but UTS also provides top notch practical work, which deeply impacts your resume. The journalism industry wants to see a handful of hands on exprience learnt.

Brontecat

HSC
i'm very much beginning to doubt the reliability of my principal i should've known that the band 1s weren't the highest :) yeh i could be completely wrong with the uni thing it might've been true a few decades ago or never but doesnt seem like its the current thing

btw interesting location 'Forks: Stalking Bella'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)