Cars!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

SlipStream

HSC
KeypadSDM, might I comment on your car.

Good choice of car! I'm getting a 1994 Telstar Ghia - essentially a 626 - with the V6.

The 4 cylinder is a pretty gutless piece of engine - not big enough for all the weight it has to lug (well that's for the 2.0L, anyway. The 2.2 is all right). The V6 is heaps better. I drove a 2.0L a few months back and it has very little torque down low - I stalled it first time getting used to the pick up point on the clutch. It's an OK accelerating car, just nowhere near as good as the 2.2 or better still, the V6.

What do you like most about your car?

RIZAL

HSC
somethingwitty said:
I don't have a turbo...

but then again, i'm driving a performance 6, not one of these little milk-cart 4 bangers.....

skyline r34 gtr (twin turbos): 210kW
my car... (naturally aspirated 3.2l V6): 184kW

not that much of a power gap between my car which i've spent $16k on ($8000 cost, and $8000 doing it up), and a skyline costing like $50k, if not more.

and turbos are really only useful around 3500-8000rpm, so you get no real low-end acceleration, since it's relying on just the engine and not the turbo.

i've dragged off an r33 from streetlights........... ripped the shit out of it... in an easy 8 seconds it was a full 3 carlengths behind.

pffh.

and as for these 80kW celicas and the like, as if you would ever drive a car with anything less than like 150kW. that's just degrading.

C

sorry about the late reply, but this is heresy...

Due to the 'gentleman's' agreement among Japanese car manufacturers, Japanese performance cars throughout the 90s were limited to a quoted power output of 206 kW. As such, the R34 GT-R was quoted by Nissan as having 206 kW. In reality, this model of the GT-R pulls around 185 kW at ALL FOUR wheels and most people will agree that this equates to around 240-280 kW at the fly wheel.

one Euro car that would hand the R34 it's ass is the new M5. V10, 7 speed, 8250 rpm rev limit.... I WANT ONE. NOW.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Isaaq said:
sorry about the late reply, but this is heresy...

Due to the 'gentleman's' agreement among Japanese car manufacturers, Japanese performance cars throughout the 90s were limited to a quoted power output of 206 kW. As such, the R34 GT-R was quoted by Nissan as having 206 kW. In reality, this model of the GT-R pulls around 185 kW at ALL FOUR wheels and most people will agree that this equates to around 240-280 kW at the fly wheel.

one Euro car that would hand the R34 it's ass is the new M5. V10, 7 speed, 8250 rpm rev limit.... I WANT ONE. NOW.

http://www.bmwm5.com/articles/m5e60/pressrelease2/1-800.jpg
just wanted to let you know that this 'agreement' is over and all manufacturers can produce what ever they want as long as they comply with emission laws

for example the new lancer evo 400hp from a 2litre turbo

N@TE_DoGg

HSC
Ive got a 75 toyota celica 2.0L i just got a 3 inch cannon muffler for the back, neons and ive got sound system and goes alright

Nguyen

redslert said:
just wanted to let you know that this 'agreement' is over and all manufacturers can produce what ever they want as long as they comply with emission laws

Which lancer? The Evo IX ?

N@TE_DoGg

HSC
wrx said:
3inch cannon on the back of a 1975 celica ? wtf...........?
Who the fuk is this? and i dont really want your opinion wrx who eva the fuk u r, i wouldnt care if other people wanna say shit bout my car but u na your opinion dontt count!

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Nguyen said:
Which lancer? The Evo IX ?
Lancer Evo VIII MR FQ400

i don't know exact details about this car so i won't comment on it
but all i know is that it is FAST!

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
ford's new FPV F6 Typhoon
*drool*
its an inline 6 with turbo and can almost outrun the GT V8 (not sure about the model but its a v8)
58k straight up.

Last edited:

RIZAL

HSC
redslert said:

just wanted to let me know??? of course I already knew that they abolished the gentlemans agreement, everyone knows that. That's why I said " Japanese performance cars throughout the 90s " in my original post, I didn't say that this agreement is still in place. I was saying that it was in place throughout the 90s (when the R34 GT-R was first released).

I know everything there is to know about the car industry.

(and yes I'm being a dick because I'm bored)

Nguyen

redslert said:
Lancer Evo VIII MR FQ400

i don't know exact details about this car so i won't comment on it
but all i know is that it is FAST!
That's for the UK Market. Bleh.

SlipStream

HSC
somethingwitty said:
I don't have a turbo...

but then again, i'm driving a performance 6, not one of these little milk-cart 4 bangers.....

skyline r34 gtr (twin turbos): 210kW
my car... (naturally aspirated 3.2l V6): 184kW

not that much of a power gap between my car which i've spent $16k on ($8000 cost, and $8000 doing it up), and a skyline costing like $50k, if not more.

and turbos are really only useful around 3500-8000rpm, so you get no real low-end acceleration, since it's relying on just the engine and not the turbo.

i've dragged off an r33 from streetlights........... ripped the shit out of it... in an easy 8 seconds it was a full 3 carlengths behind.
Like Isaaq said, the manufacturers have kept themselves to the Gentleman's Agreement but recently they've abandoned it - exciting times ahead! The R35 Skyline is sure to be a ripper - now matter how ugly it looks like it will be. Torque - however - was never limited, so we've been seeing steady increases in the torque number from the manufacturers for a while now. But the current model R34 GT-R still uses the RB26DETT, a 2.6L inline 6, to make its torque. Impressive if you ask me.

The RB26DETT under the bonnet of an R32, 33 and 34 GT-R Skylines is an impressive piece of engine. They can handle about 350kW in stock form before things start breaking - as my uncle has found out. He's got an R32 GT-R running around 480fwkws and the damn thing spends more time in the workshop than on the road! Serves him right for taking it to the racetrack and flogging the fuck out of it...

somethingwitty said:
and as for these 80kW celicas and the like, as if you would ever drive a car with anything less than like 150kW. that's just degrading.
Are you on your Ps? If Carl Scully gets his way (which is likely), you can kiss your car goodbye as well as your "150kW or less is degrading" philosophy. Besides, some cars are awesome and have less than 150kW - look at the Lotus Elise.

Isaaq said:
one Euro car that would hand the R34 it's ass is the new M5. V10, 7 speed, 8250 rpm rev limit....
Actually, the M5 is considerably slower than the R34 GT-R. I am personally quite dissapointed by the E60 M5... the V10 really got me excited but I ended up downright dissapointed... :(

redslert said:
400hp is a bit high for Japanese design rule compliance... that's like 84kW over the Gentleman's agreement. Like Nguyen said, UK only - but I bet there was a handful sold in Japan for track-only use. Nonetheless, you can do some amazing things when you run stupidly-high boost pressures from big turbos. I bet the boost takes a while to come on... and I thought the WRX was bad when I drove it, and it only runs about 8psi! Can't wait to drive the next Evo... ;)

Bob.J said:
ford's new FPV F6 Typhoon
*drool*
its an inline 6 with turbo and can almost outrun the GT V8 (not sure about the model but its a v8)
58k straight up.
I agree! I was a little dissapointed with the F6 when I read the first tests of it, but it is still a good car. Can't help wondering where all that torque went, because it is actually slower than the GT... Ford and FPV should just bite the bullet, whip up 20psi, drop 100 kilos and make a $100k 4.0L I6 supercar. Mmmmmm, mmmmm!

Isaaq said:
I know everything there is to know about the car industry.
I'll remember that. :)

Bone577

HSC
N/A
There was never a limit on actual power in Japan. Only on quoted power. They would always quote power at 280ps regardless of how much power it really had.

Pshh, did anyone actually think the R34-GTR was actually only 280ps?

Trev

stix
HSC
i got a brand new kia rio sedan for my bday like a month ago :) ive done 1300km now, sept its annoyin how the price has gone down so much now, we bought for 17k, and now they r 14k lol, shit ass car :(

RIZAL

HSC
SlipStream said:
The RB26DETT under the bonnet of an R32, 33 and 34 GT-R Skylines is an impressive piece of engine. They can handle about 350kW in stock form before things start breaking - as my uncle has found out. He's got an R32 GT-R running around 480fwkws and the damn thing spends more time in the workshop than on the road! Serves him right for taking it to the racetrack and flogging the fuck out of it...
Yeah there is no doubt that the RB26DETT is a good engine...but is it the best engine that has ever come out of Japan? SlipStream what do you think of the 2JZGT-E vvti? variable inlet cam timing, bigger displacement, 24-valves, EFI, air-to-air intercooling, sequential twin-turbochargers and electronic throttle control... 451 Nm (in stock form!) will kicik u in the shoulders like no stock RB26 ever could....too bad most 2j's are between the wheel arches of supra's though.

that's not to say that the RB26 isn't technologically advanced or a worse engine...it's got a shorter stroke, has larger cams, higher flowing heads and multi throttles.... i guess u could say it's built for big revs... so the decision on which is the better engine depends on how you drive - low end or top end?

but good on your uncle for screwing 480 kw atw out of one...shit! nice uncle to have ;)

oh and about the e60 m5.... i'm waiting for its lap time around the nurburgring to see if it hauls ass on the GT-R?

SlipStream

HSC
Isaaq said:
Yeah there is no doubt that the RB26DETT is a good engine...but is it the best engine that has ever come out of Japan? SlipStream what do you think of the 2JZGT-E vvti? variable inlet cam timing, bigger displacement, 24-valves, EFI, air-to-air intercooling, sequential twin-turbochargers and electronic throttle control... 451 Nm (in stock form!) will kicik u in the shoulders like no stock RB26 ever could....too bad most 2j's are between the wheel arches of supra's though.

that's not to say that the RB26 isn't technologically advanced or a worse engine...it's got a shorter stroke, has larger cams, higher flowing heads and multi throttles.... i guess u could say it's built for big revs... so the decision on which is the better engine depends on how you drive - low end or top end?

but good on your uncle for screwing 480 kw atw out of one...shit! nice uncle to have ;)

oh and about the e60 m5.... i'm waiting for its lap time around the nurburgring to see if it hauls ass on the GT-R?
The 2JZ is okay, but I prefer the Nissan mill. You can squeeze more power out of the RB26 but the Toyota donk has been known for its torque. Still, nowhere near as much as Ford's primitive 4.0L DOHC I6 single Garret GT35 ball bearing. The amount of intake plumbing is ludicrous... that's the first thing tuning house Nizpro did when they went berko on their XR6T - cut out like two metres of intake hoses.

I idolise the current M3. The greatest six cylinder mill ever created!

SlipStream

HSC
Trev said:
i got a brand new kia rio sedan for my bday like a month ago :) ive done 1300km now, sept its annoyin how the price has gone down so much now, we bought for 17k, and now they r 14k lol, shit ass car :(
Geez for $17k you could get heaps better cars than a Kia Rio. Could of got a late-nineties Impreza, could have got an EL XR8 Falcon or the Commodore equivalent, could have got an R32 or even R33 GTS-T Skyline, E30 323i, maybe a 300ZX... man a Kia Rio is the last thing I would have bought with $17k!

Then look at the depreciation - like you said, $3k in a matter of months. The Korean cars and the like are shit for keeping their value, not to mention gutless engines and shocking dynamics. No offence, but the Kia Rio is a shit car! It's the kind of car old ladies buy to cart the grandkids around and to go to church. And even if you were sad enough to buy one, you wouldn't buy it brand new because like all new cars, the value just drops so quickly. That's why I mean it when I say don't buy new cars! Buy near-new!

Even still, if you wanted a new car for $17k, the best thing to get would be a Ford Fiesta at the moment. Great little car - with a few more herbs, it would be fantastic!

But nonetheless, any car is better than no car. And a Kia Rio is heaps better than some of those 20 year old shitboxes out there. Just nowhere near as good as other things with $17k pricetags... ;)

Trev

stix
HSC
haha yeh i soughta agree slipstream sept my rents wanted me to get a car that had really low km, so i didnt really have a choice - got to choose the colour tho :uhhuh: metallic blue! heh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)