Cars!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

SlipStream

HSC
rockstar01 said:
Im a bit late, but i drive a VW Kombi and it shits over all your cars!
Yeh good one. I hope you realise that you are driving one of the world's most unsafe cars. Rear end a Landcruiser or something similar in size and you loose both your legs.

I'd rather a Kia Rio than a VW Kombi anyday. At least I know I'll survive a fender bender.

rockstar01

HSC
SlipStream said:
Yeh good one. I hope you realise that you are driving one of the world's most unsafe cars. Rear end a Landcruiser or something similar in size and you loose both your legs.

I'd rather a Kia Rio than a VW Kombi anyday. At least I know I'll survive a fender bender.
Shutup bitch, i have the spare tyre sitting on the front and it gives me all the protection i need. But thanks for your worry

Toe Knee

HSC
is anyone in here mechanically minded or do u all just read magazines n know big words? can anyone here actually work on an engine? like a real engine, not those plastic ones...a V8 perhaps? its sooo much more fun knowing everything about ur car. u save a lot of money on repairs too!

RIZAL

HSC
SlipStream said:
The 2JZ is okay, but I prefer the Nissan mill. You can squeeze more power out of the RB26 but the Toyota donk has been known for its torque. Still, nowhere near as much as Ford's primitive 4.0L DOHC I6 single Garret GT35 ball bearing. The amount of intake plumbing is ludicrous... that's the first thing tuning house Nizpro did when they went berko on their XR6T - cut out like two metres of intake hoses.

I idolise the current M3. The greatest six cylinder mill ever created!

the current M3 is a beast. would you take it with the conventional gearbox or the SMG? I'm hoping your a purist and would go the regular manual tranny.

Toe Knee: what V8 are you talking about? There are good 4cyl's, 6cyl's and 8cyl's...labeling all 4 and 6 cyl engines as 'plastic' is really naive on your part. As for being mechanically minded, a mate and I totally rebuilt his sr20det engine from the ground up.

Last edited:

Toe Knee

HSC
i mean old engines,carby engines...
wow! u rebuilt it? well done! those things are so complicated. i dont mean plastic plastic...like if you look in a new holden v8, you cant see anything! look in an old 308 and its all there! easier to understand... i prefer old cars, much funner to me. sure i looooove turbo 4s and 6s (i plan on ownig a twin turbo supra one day) but for now, old holdens are my thing...i have a LH torana and am spending many hours on it...dropping a v8 in it at the end of this year! cant wait!

RIZAL

HSC
Toe Knee said:
i mean old engines,carby engines...
wow! u rebuilt it? well done! those things are so complicated. i dont mean plastic plastic...like if you look in a new holden v8, you cant see anything! look in an old 308 and its all there! easier to understand... i prefer old cars, much funner to me. sure i looooove turbo 4s and 6s (i plan on ownig a twin turbo supra one day) but for now, old holdens are my thing...i have a LH torana and am spending many hours on it...dropping a v8 in it at the end of this year! cant wait!
ok i can understand your love affair with the old holdens. the first engine i ever worked on was a 202 holden red motor and yes it was very fun (and loud). i spent hours stuffing around with the points ignition system and timing.

Carby's are cool because it's so easy to mess around with the air/fuel mixture..what v8 do you plan on dropping in the torana? 308? the old school Torana XU1 GTR is seriously one of the coolest aussie made cars.

Toe Knee

HSC
yer man either a 308 or hopefully a 350 chev, supercharge it, paint it adn then we'll have sum fun! me n my best mate both have toranas, probably end up racing them. should be good...yer the GTR is sick, but mine will be just as quick i betcha hehehe

SlipStream

HSC
Nguyen said:
LoL Spare tyre just make the whole thing alot more worse.
Yeh instead of the Lancruiser pusing your legs up to your ears you've got the spare tyre! How fun...!

Toe Knee said:
is anyone in here mechanically minded or do u all just read magazines n know big words? can anyone here actually work on an engine? like a real engine, not those plastic ones...a V8 perhaps? its sooo much more fun knowing everything about ur car. u save a lot of money on repairs too!
I'd love to answer that one but it take me a while. Let's just say that I'm qualified to answer any of your technical questions... :)

Isaaq, bring on the normal manual. The SMG is too gentleman for me... ;)

nit

HSC
Ok, I'm weighing up a few options in terms of cars, with about 10K to spare...I'm looking mainly at holden astras (1997-8 etc), subaru imprezas (96,97ish), corollas, possibly even older honda accords, all autos...what would you guys advise me to get if comparing these vehicles in terms of quality, pricing, features, safety etc.?

RIZAL

HSC
OK I'd be looking at

1997 Nissan Pulsar
97 Mitsubish Lancer
1994 Nissan Bluebird
1997 Toyota Corolla
1994 Mazda 626/Ford Telstar

Personally I'd steer away from the 97/98 Astra's, when you've got the cars in the above list on offer.

The older accord's are a good buy too.

I put the bluebird and 626/Telstar in there because you mentioned that you wanted 'features'. Some of these came loaded with air con, electric windows etc and they are bigger than the other cars mentioned. But they are a little bit older and therefore finding one in good condition will be a little bit more difficult.

and if you want a bit of speed, I'd recommend the 1991 Nissan Silvia with the SR20DET engine which you may just be able to pick up for 10k :)

SlipStream

HSC
I recommend the Impreza. It represents fantastic value, it looks great, is adaptable to any modification urges (;)), has loads of street cred, keeps its value nicely, is economical, safe with AWD, and has some impressive standard features. Try to avoid the 1.6Ls, because they are really just too gutless. The 1.8L is good, but the 2.0L is better if you're after a little kick when you plant the right foot. Imprezas can scare insurers a little, sometimes feel cramped if all your mates jump in for a ride (not a problem if Carl Scully gets his way), parts are a little harder to find that your conventional buzzbox, and their build quality can be a little hows-your-mother, but the positives far outweight the negatives.

If I wasn't strapped for cash, then the Impreza - perhaps around MY97 and up - would be the set of wheels I would be after. However, my budget is half of what your's is :)p).

About your other cars: Holden Astras are OK - as are Corollas, but they cannot compete with the Impreza. The 'preza is in a class of its own, with AWD and a boxer engine (as opposed to the traditional transaxle east-west inline 4). Try to avoid Accords - I drove one just recently (a manual, mind you) and even though I didn't really get to give it a nice flogging, the steering was lifeless and far too light. Would personally drive me insane. Old Hondas are prone to have been thrashed, so watch out for young owners. They can be expensive to repair and find parts for, but the quality is better than most cars.

Nonetheless, none of your other cars can compete with the Subi for general "goodness".

Isaaq said:
1997 Nissan Pulsar
97 Mitsubish Lancer
1994 Nissan Bluebird
1997 Toyota Corolla
1994 Mazda 626/Ford Telstar
About Isaaq's recommendations, I agree with him on the Bluebird only. The AXII Telstar's auto tranny is a piece of shit (same applies to mech. identical Mazda) and definately should be avoided. Strictly manual only if you're after a TX5 (like me :)). The Lancer, Pulsar and Corolla are pretty generic cars. They're right up there with my opinion of the Astra. Small, front wheel drive transaxle east-west inline 4. Possibly the most boring tranny-donk combination ever invented. This group of cars are cheap because they are made from shit materials, the quality control is low and they make bazillions of the stupid things around the globe every year.

However, it does get you A to B and insurance companies won't bat an eyelid cos of their relative sluggishness (can't go fast then you can't crash!) and they're everywhere, so finding parts is as easy as putting the finger to the yellow paper. They cost pocket lint to run, and are also easy to modify if you get the urge like so many other young people (*rolls eyes*). But these cars are not generally my cup of tea, and I wouldn't normally suggest them to anyone.

But Bluebirds are good cars - especially the early ninety models (avoid the previous generation ones, but). They are about the size of a Telstar, and just right to fit all the blokes into. If they made a Bluebird V6 manual (and if it was less ugly), then it would make it to my wishlist. But they don't, so the Bluebird caper is not my preference.

However, I would suggest you have a look at some. :)

Don't listen to Isaaq :p - an S12 Silvia is the dumbest thing you could buy for running around in. The Police have all eyes on you, the insurance companies run in terror when they see one in the hands of a P-Plater, the running costs are high, most have been thrashed on the track in drifting events or similar, the quality is pretty low, they aren't exactly the most safe car around... man I could go on!

However, they look pretty good, make great performance cars if you're on a budget, are simple enough for a monkey to modify (there are that many kits out there for the SR20), have a tonne of street cred, are great fun to drive and hold their value pretty well. However, out of bounds for young people, on the basis that they probably can't afford to run it, and can't handle the power. They'd make a better car when you're out of uni and getting paid more than a MacDonald's wage. :)

So - start chasing an MY98 1.8L Subaru Impreza (station wagons are best for young people) or a 1994 Nissan Bluebird. They're the best cars for you.

Hope Isaaq and I helped! :)

Last edited:

SlipStream

HSC
S12, S13, S14... they're all the same concept. Cheap rear wheel drive performance car.

And their positive and negatives are all the same, as well.

SlipStream said:
The Police have all eyes on you, the insurance companies run in terror when they see one in the hands of a P-Plater, the running costs are high, most have been thrashed on the track in drifting events or similar, the quality is pretty low, they aren't exactly the most safe car around... man I could go on!

However, they look pretty good, make great performance cars if you're on a budget, are simple enough for a monkey to modify (there are that many kits out there for the SR20), have a tonne of street cred, are great fun to drive and hold their value pretty well. However, out of bounds for young people, on the basis that they probably can't afford to run it, and can't handle the power. They'd make a better car when you're out of uni and getting paid more than a MacDonald's wage.
The bottom line is: avoid Silvias of any age until you can afford to own them.

RIZAL

HSC
Try and get your hands on a Bluebird SSS which comes with the bigger (but IMO still crap) KA24DE 2.4L engine.

And when I say that they come 'loaded', I found one for sale with: ABS, Powersteering, Driver Air Bag, CD Player, Climate Control AC, Cruise Control, Power Windows - Mirrors - Sun Roof, Headup Display, Tinted Windows...

This is good value for a $10 000 car. And they don't look that old either.

Last edited:

SlipStream

HSC
So you don't own a car at all, now? How do you cope! :)

What did you insure the Silvias with? Comprehensive, CTP only or Third Party Property Damage...? Was it expensive?

I'd get a Silvia if I were after a true performance car (on the budget I'm on), but my next car is probably going to be an E30 BMW 323i manual. Awesome cars. Let's just hope I can afford the parts!

RIZAL

HSC
I just had Third Party Property Damage on them and drove carefully most of the time. No accidents.

E30 BMW 323i: Probably the best thing you could buy as an introduction to Euro tuning. Good on you for getting something rear drive with a bit of character, even though parts will cost a bit!

I saw one of these at a car show with a Nissan RB20DE-T engine. Perfect match and the whole conversion could probably be done for about $6k.

Atotoi

Beetroot Strudel Anyone??
HSC
I've got about $6000 spare in my bank, and i could always sell my poxy 87 laser...
what nice car could i get for that price?
I was thinking of a 92 Honda Civic, but the whole "rice" image really pisses me off..
I'd lurrrrve a 94 Honda Prelude, but thats slightly out of my budget for now :(

soo.. any ideas?

nit

HSC
how about a '92 Accord Exi for 9K, or a 94 or so Accord for 9-10K?

Or a Ford Taurus '96?

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
nit said:
how about a '92 Accord Exi for 9K, or a 94 or so Accord for 9-10K?

Or a Ford Taurus '96?
You gotta be fuckin kidding me? all those cars are terrible

You could get a toyota cressida for 4k..excellent nick and a luxury car.

soo many availably its not funny.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)