CHEM question on Alpha and Beta Glucose. (1 Viewer)

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
How exactly does alpha glucose differ from beta glucose? Is it the way it bonds similar with diamond and graphite?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it's the structure. In alpha glucose the OH is pointing up and in beta it is pointing down. It might be wrong but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the structure.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
kaz1 said:
I think it's the structure. In alpha glucose the OH is pointing up and in beta it is pointing down. It might be wrong but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the structure.
that sounds right to me

H4rdc0r3

HSC
In beta linkages which refers to cellulose, the bonding OH's alternate from above and below the plane. The monomers are two glucose unit bonded with OH below the plane while the OH bonds between monomers are above the plane.

Alpha linkages which is just starch have all OH below the plane.

its not like graphite and diamond because thats an isotope. this is an isomer, i think.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Thanks for the help! I understand a bit more now.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
H4rdc0r3 said:
In beta linkages which refers to cellulose, the bonding OH's alternate from above and below the plane. The monomers are two glucose unit bonded with OH below the plane while the OH bonds between monomers are above the plane.

Alpha linkages which is just starch have all OH below the plane.

its not like graphite and diamond because thats an isotope. this is an isomer, i think.
pro, first serious post eh?

sweetcookies

HSC
kaz1 said:
the difference is in the hydroxy groups... i think it is 1 and 4

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Spot the difference.
Alpha glucose:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Alpha-D-glucopyranose-2D-skeletal.png
Beta glucose:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Beta-D-glucopyranose-2D-skeletal.png

The difference between the two isomers is that the OH (attached to the carbon next to the O atom) sticks out either opposite or on the same side to the OH on the adjacent carbon. (i.e. the OH on carbon 1 and OH on carbon 2 are on the same "side" in space for alpha and are on opposite "sides" to each other in space for the beta)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)