• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

China. (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Frigid said:
i dun think your statement is far from the truth; at least for the people who supported the previous regime and the insurgents who want america out.
Oh? is america killing civilians that want america out? Or is it killing militants trying to kill them and other iraqi citizens?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Or is it killing militants trying to kill them and other iraqi citizens?
militants who resist the 'interim' rule of america in iraq..

but let's get back to topic shalln't we? has anyone got anything positive to say abt china other than the leprous, human-rights-abusing, tibetan-free-civilian-killing, red mongolian octopus, or have we reached the end of our knowledge?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Let me summarise this for u...

a) the situation in iraq was very different to the situation in tibet
b) the americans are ESSENTIALLY giving iraq back to the people...
c) americans that kill civilians are put on trial
d) civilians have NEVER been PURPOSEFULLY targetted, and that is just sick that they were and I think your patriotism has really gotten in the way of your better judgement for you to defend this.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Frigid said:

but let's get back to topic shalln't we? has anyone got anything positive to say abt china other than the leprous, human-rights-abusing, tibetan-free-civilian-killing, red mongolian octopus, or have we reached the end of our knowledge?
Ah, we aren't after positive comments given that cherryblossom was quite clear in asking for the more 'informed' members to describe and then discuss the way in which China has been constructed within their minds.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Generator said:
Ah, we aren't after positive comments given that cherryblossom was quite clear in asking for the more 'informed' members to describe and then discuss the way in which China has been constructed within their minds.
then please do; how has your views been made or why do you accept them with/without further inquiry.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
My guess is she's going to come to the conclusion that chinese people have been shaped to believe that china is some sorta utopian paradise.
And westerners have probably been shaped by 'american propaganda' to believe that china is an evil heartless country.

Frigid, may i ask you since we're talking about views being shaped.... Why you defend china oh so much? like really... If you think it's fine for china to kill civilians that disagree with them when they go to take over another country, i really hope you never judge the nazi's or america.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
then please do; how has your views been made or why do you accept them with/without further inquiry.
I'm only here to tell you to stop taking the thread off on a tangent, and to try and point out that you really should get rid of that chip on your shoulder when discussing the west. China may not be the world's greatest country, but then again neither is Australia (even though it should be quite clear that I more than prefer the liberal democracy model over that of one-party China, even if it is a 'practical' measure given its population).

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
My guess is she's going to come to the conclusion that chinese people have been shaped to believe that china is some sorta utopian paradise.
first, i'm a he.

secondly, i don't believe china's an utopian paradise, because my parents experienced the cultural revolution first hand.

nonetheless, i'm of the firm view that the situation is improving. my parents have said, they could not imagine the changes that have taken place ten years ago. china is a rapidly-changing place, morally, politically, economically.
Not-That-Bright said:
And westerners have probably been shaped by 'american propaganda' to believe that china is an evil heartless country.
don't you agree that 'may' be true to a sense? other than from the australian/american media, from where else do you gain your views on china?
Not-That-Bright said:
Frigid, may i ask you since we're talking about views being shaped.... Why you defend china oh so much?
because NTB, i feel that it would be unfair to continuously judge a country by things it did in the past, without regard to the changes that are taking place.

just because nazi germans killed jews fifty-sixty years ago, do we still shame germans for their human rights abuses? just because japan slaughtered many babies and raped many women in WWII, to this day do we shame them for it?
Not-That-Bright said:
If you think it's fine for china to kill civilians that disagree with them when they go to take over another country
i assumed it was a capital punishment (you never actually specified what the picture was about until AFTER i made my first comment).

obviously killing those whose views are different to the government is morally wrong. but having said that, from the point of view of an autocratic government trying to maintain stability and rule over a vast country, i can see why they would do that, even though i don't agree with it.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Generator said:
China may not be the world's greatest country, but then again neither is Australia (even though it should be quite clear that I more than prefer the liberal democracy model over that of one-party China, even if it is a 'practical' measure given its population).
i agree with everything you have said in the above quote.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
She was refering to cherryblossom...
don't you agree that 'may' be true to a sense? other than from the australian/american media, from where else do you gain your views on china?
umm yes, that's why i put it out there..
But i also think China is kinda... cut off, like.. i know that if america does something slightly bad... one little thing, i'll see it on the news. China.. well... when do we hear about stuff comming out of china? not very often.

Frigid I agree that u should forgive nations ( i note that alot of chinese don't wanna forgive japan ), but the people who committed and are committing these attrocities ARE STILL IN POWER in china, and tibet has NOT been given back to the people..

obviously killing those whose views are different to the government is morally wrong. but having said that, from the point of view of an autocratic government trying to maintain stability and rule over a vast country, i can see why they would do that, even though i don't agree with it.
You sound like you're talking about tax reform or something...
What would you think if u saw scenes on the news of those protestors at baxter being slaughtered by a rain of bullets?

I can see what an autocratic government would wanna maintain control.. but by killing citizens?! jesus... it's NOT RIGHT and the people who did it ARE STILL IN CONTROL and they SHOULDN'T be, and china SHOULD give tibet back....

[/rant]

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Tibet is very much owned by the People. It is as much a part of China as Beijing itself.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
Tibet is very much owned by the People. It is as much a part of China as Beijing itself.
andrew, there's a diff between people with a lower-case 'p' and a capital 'p'.
Not-That-Bright said:
but the people who committed and are committing these attrocities ARE STILL IN POWER in china, and tibet has NOT been given back to the people..
i don't think you can pin it down to "people" (as in individuals), but rather the government that is in power.

OT: you have said, what would i think if i saw the news of raining bullets on Baxter detention centre. obviously i would be shocked and disgusted, wondering why such a show of force is needed..

but, in a country of 1.4 billion people, i can understand why the government (being self-interested, staying-in-power) would come down hard on any form of political subversion. also, the culture of china being different, the need for 'face' and unity on the international stage, i can understand why they would react strongly to any hint of secession.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
There is about 3000 kilometres on the Russia-China border which are currently owned by Russians. I'd like to see this reclaimed. Obviously Taiwan Province. Even Mongolia, though technically China was part of it, and not the other way round.

Even Japan and Korea could be seen to be part of Ancient China, though I don't see the PRC pushing to reunify Ancient China of 5000 years ago under the Chinese Flag. That would probably be excessive. Though if Japan were to come under the Chinese flag, I'd support it.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
where does the end of history and the beginning of sovereign ownership meet?

andrew many wars have been thought over the old territory, previously owned some eons ago...

with regards to the taiwan question, i would like to see the status quo kept until reunification suits both parties :)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
ummm... so basically, you'd like to see.... let me see, current china, some of russia, mongolia, japan, korea, taiwan all become a part of china?...

Jesus.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
There is about 3000 kilometres on the Russia-China border which are currently owned by Russians. I'd like to see this reclaimed. Obviously Taiwan Province. Even Mongolia, though technically China was part of it, and not the other way round.

Even Japan and Korea could be seen to be part of Ancient China, though I don't see the PRC pushing to reunify Ancient China of 5000 years ago under the Chinese Flag. That would probably be excessive. Though if Japan were to come under the Chinese flag, I'd support it.
You do live up to your name, don't you?

GretaGarbo

HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
That's because your an idiot. We all know Chinese soldiers can't fight, they can't even take Taiwan! What an embarrasment. North Koreans would sort your ass out and rape your women-folk before you can even take a shot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)